PBP: Copa América 2019 - Brasil x Venezuela - 6/18/19

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by celito, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I actually agree with this assessment and was going to write something to the effect.

Brazil dominated possession and went forward from the start. While our players at times had to "improvise," they dominated Venezuela and for many stretches of the game, Venezuela struggled to get past the midfield.

Besides, however much of a cliche this is, Brazil improves as a competition continues. Zagallo used to say "a Seleção crescerá durante a Copa." Brazi overall presented more volume de jogo vs. the Bolivia game, and the Venezuela of 2019 is not the Venezuela that Brazil used to rout at will. They have some decent players now and their defense wasn't too shabby.

2. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I havent had cable in ages, its online streams for me only.

3. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Globo Internacional exists in streaming platforms too, like SlingTV

4. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Yes, I thought that we did create opportunities, and scored three goals, although at least two of them clearly irregular (I'm not too sure about the third one; didn't see any image that clearly showed the ball hitting the off-side player, but that's what they said happened, so, if true, it was also a correctly disallowed goal), but regardless of the fact that these goals were likely correctly disallowed, they still showed creativity and were beautiful plays. Plus, we had some really unlucky shots that could have resulted in scores, too. Brazil had HUGE possession time, like 80%. Sometimes, it's one of those days when you hammer and hammer but the nail doesn't go into the hole. And yes, Venezuela played better than Bolivia. I see no huge shame in this draw and I thought that the boos were not warranted. The supporters function with the assumption that this is Venezuela and this is Brazil (thinking of tradition more than current form) so it should be 5-0 or something, but neither Brazil is as good as we used to be, nor Venezuela is as bad as they used to be.

5. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How can you live without the Brazilian channels through DISH?
    Globo, record, bandeirantes, band news and PFC - My life wouldn't be the same without it.

6. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #81 samuel_clemens, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    The only thing that interests me in Brazilian TV somewhat (or US for that matter) is the Italian Serie A on Rede TV and that is because Silvio Luiz is doing the announcing. Guy's a legend. I could watch Globo and Globosat for "free" using VPN but don't even bother. The quality of programming, including the Brasileirao is utter toilet now IMO. Can't stand Thiago Leifert or Oscar Schimdt's brother with his faggy little horses on Fantastico. Their "journalism" department and the current telenovelas aren't much better.

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Your statement is reflective of how immigrants can be extremely diverse.

I've done some reading on the assimilation patterns of immigrants, and while no diaspora is identical (especially since there's tons of diversity within every immigrant community), I did find that when a person moves out of their homeland very early, their attachment to cultural things like TV channels and programs tends to be weaker. My wife is an immigrant from another nation but she came to the United States as a young adult and she watches her native land's TV programs rather often.

I'm like Samuel Clemens; got rid of cable TV and now only have internet at home. I've been watching Copa América games via streams I find. If I want to watch Brazilian TV (which is not often), YouTube does it for me. It may not be live TV but for very recent news and other stuff, YouTube has everything I need.

I like to read, and as my work requires me to be in front of a computer much of the day, I can use my down time to read Brazilian news. I keep in touch with what's happening in Brazil this way.

samuel_clemens repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    HTV5 has been working most of the time for me for more than 6 months . It has been choppy last week or so but interestingly enough it has been perfect when Brazil plays and during the novela .

Gets all the channels including all the Premieres.

Worth the $200 investment .

9. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    In my understanding, HTV5 is illegal and the signal might stop anytime, no? On the other hand, given that the cost of the device is roughly equivalent to at most 2 months of cable TV subscription (without premium channels) or 1 month (with premium channels) then if it works for 1 month, it pays for itself even if in the future it gets taken down.

10. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I have Globo and PFC through SlingTV. I used to have them through DISH, but actually find SlingTV to be more flexible. They do add to my quality of life, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that my life wouldn't be the same without them.

11. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    is it like an antenna or just needs an internet connection??

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Internet. Ebay has them. Typically $219 but sometimes can find it for under $200. I still haven't figured out if after 1 year I have to pay for a $80 subscription. Would still be worth it.