Cooter - skip Dukes of Hazard ..??!!!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DJPoopypants, Jul 14, 2005.

1. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

I'd say Dukes of Hazard deserves its own politics board thread. Isn't John McCain in it?

But this shocks me....

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/7/14/11955/4723

Cooter was a congressman??? Bah-hah-hah!

2. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I don't know any of the context, but the other night, I turn on my tv, which had been on MSNBC, and there's Joe Scarborough talking about the Dukes of Hazzard movie, and the tagline at the bottom is (I swear I am not making this up) "Jessica Simpson: Too Sexy?"

If anybody saw this and can provide some context that doesn't make Scarborough look like a complete tool I wait with baited breath.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He ran against Newt when Newt had a stone-safe district, just for the hell of it. Jones had some funny ads, probably thinking, what the hell, I can't win, I might as well mock the beady-eyed bast***.

4. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he just compare "The Dukes of Hazard" to "I Love Lucy"?

5. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Ben Jones and Fred Grandy formed the little-known Bad Television caucus.

Seriously, although I never was a fan of the Dukes of Hazzard and it would take a cute woman pinning me to the couch to get me to watch an episode today, I'm going to sympathize with Jones on this one.

For one, he knows the show a whooooole lot better than I do, and if he feels that something that's been his life for a number of years and has defined him since is being mishandled, then he's probably right.

Secondly, I think objections to profanity and sexual content are justified not on grounds of prudishness, but on grounds of good taste. Too many Hollywood folks seem to fall back on those as substitutes for good plotting and writing.

6. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Cooter was/is a Democrat

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cross him off the list for the Supreme Court.

8. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's just cheesed off that he wasn't offered at least a cameo in the movie.

If they could have gotten away with Daisy showing her butt cheeks and grinding away on TV back in the day, they would have.

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    So?

10. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Well we've got Santorum

You had Cooter

Which is worse

;)

11. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

"Hillary Clinton is demanding an investigation, complete with hearings. No, not into Karl Rove's antics; nor into Halliburton's fleecing of the taxpayer, nor Bolton's antics, nor our intelligence failures, nor the lack of actual security in our homeland security plan, nor of any of the misdeeds of the regime. Nope: she, in conjunction with Lieberman, Santorum and Brownback, is demanding an investigation of Grand Theft Auto for the presence of a sex-scene easter egg.

And why not? After all, what's really hurting America right now isn't the deficit or the war or the corruption. Nope: it's computer sex."