News: Cooper turns down call up for TandT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by narko, Oct 12, 2008.

1. FC Funkotron

FC Funkotron Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Austin, El Paso, New York
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That he's conveniently "injured" to face the mighty TnT. Like you know, Landon was "injured" for England and Spain according to you.

Here's my take on the situation; Bob Bradley has pulled Ching and Landon countless times from their clubs despite this 'friendly' dynamic he's supposed to have with MLS clubs. Both of them answer the call each and every time barring an injury...and even then, most times they go to camp anyway to be evaluated. In Landon's case, he's the most essential figure for the Galaxy and he's been pulled from them at some of the most inconvenient times. Country before club.

I like Cooper, I really do. I very much question his heart for the national team. He knows his opportunities to break into the nation team are limited, so why not take the chance that's given to you. At the very least to get on Bob's good graces (assuming there's some animosity between them).

Torres could have chosen Mexico, Altidore could have stayed at Villareal, Beasley and Edu could have helped themselves a whole lot by staying with Rangers, etc. Everyone makes sacrifices and I don't agree with Coopers.

2. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

He has a virus and a bad ankle....not an "excuse" but a fact.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe they were hoping he'd lose an eye so they could make fun of him.

4. MJ-inBRITAIN

MJ-inBRITAIN Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. As a coach I would have no problem with this and would've done the same as a player. He knows he's fringe anyway, why in-danger your season/teamates and your fitness for a coach who seems to have already made up his mind about you in a meaningless game?

5. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. He could go to camp, to show he truly wants this, and then they evaluate him and deem him unfit to play. At least he shows where his heart is.

You know, like Landon did for those England/Spain friendlies (and like the other players you've mentioned in your post). He got injured, flew to England anyway hoping to recover, tried to train but was unable to and failed a fitness test. He then flew back to try to play for Galaxy but was still unable to train and was unfit to play. And according to the MNT blog, if he had been able to play for Galaxy, he then would have gotten on a freakin' plane and flown to Spain to play in that game.

Just kind of funny, all these excuses from E66 justifying Kenny's decisions while at the same time crapping on LD. Nice to see others are noticing this dichotomy of positions, too.

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I have'nt spoken to the kid about this at all but do know he was striken by the bug doing the rounds at FCD. His ankle has been a problem for a couple of weeks and has definately affected his form he also is carrying another injury that not many are aware about... a few days of rest should help this.

Now this is only MY opinion but...given the above situation why would he, or any player for that matter fly injured and under the weather to T&T for a game with the reserves only to sit on the bench and watch Altidore and Davis play..??

Cooper desperately wants to play for the USA but given Bradleys total reluctance to use him at all over the past 12 months I believe he thinks he'll only get one chance to impress (unlike Twellman who got 30, mostly with the FIRST team) and with this in mind he wants to be 100% fit and ready when and IF that chance comes.

Again this is only my OPINION.

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you know, I can understand this. I really can. I think Cooper is making a mistake though, for reasons I pointed out in one of my other posts. My OPINION, I think it would have shown well in him to go anyway, work with the national team trainers and then ultimately decide if he's fit enough to play. After all, Dallas doesn't play again until the weekend. But again, I can understand his reluctance to do so.

But the thing I'm having a little fun with is that you just fail to acknowledge that you are providing excuses/reasons for Kenny (your favorite player) turning down a WCQ callup while at the same time dissing Donovan (my favorite player) for missing a friendly in England (which he didn't turn down; he actually tried to play and was excited to get his 100th cap in Wembley stadium) due to the same thing: injury.

I ain't gonna let that go unnoticed. :) I'm just having a little fun. ;)

8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I can accept your opinion certainly, but Donovan is a regular with the FIRST team of the USA and Cooper hasn't even been in the picture for the C team prior to this belated call up to go sit on the bench for the B/C team....so their situations could'nt be further apart.

Cooper would like a chance to play for the USA....were I in his boots I would like that chance to come while playing with the first team when fully fit.....again, just MY OPINION not Coopers.

As an aside and you being a Galaxy fan the last game of the MLS season should be very interesting for both LD and Cooper.....Could well mean the final play-off spot on the line along with the "Golden Boot" title....

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a bit unrealistic, though with the USMNT's thin strker pool, injuries or other circumstances make it possible that an unproven striker could get a shot in a game with the first team. But the more likely possiblity is getting a shot with younger players in the last first round qualifier or in the winter camps. BB wasn't going to trust inexperienced players in the first round, so he certainly isn't going to do it in the Hex.

10. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Yet he continued to pick Eddie Johnson....go figure.

11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But they both missed for injury.

Cooper is turning down an opportunity for a chance at a WCQ, an opportunity to show Bob and his teammates that the USA team means a lot to him. And he won't even go and try. And you offer logical reasons/excuses for his decision.

Donovan, who as you said, is a regular, has NOTHING TO PROVE to his teammates or his coach, still wanted to play, flew over there and tried to train all week and was deemed on game day unfit to play. And you diss him for it.

They both miss for injury; one gets praise from you for the decision not to go and try, the other gets dissed...for not playing injured (even though the team doctors said he couldn't play).

Still funny you refuse to see that. But whatever. Others see it.

I just hope that last game of the season still means something for the Galaxy.

And I also hope Kenny is recovered from his "injury" and virus in time. ;)

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but if EJ is good at anything other than raking in salary, it would be scoring against CONCACAF opponents. But I think BB is now convinced only the former talent remains.

13. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Agreed, I'd think Altidore has put EJ into orbit. He could still get called-up if he does something in Wales, which seems unlikely at this point. I'd expect to see Davies and Cooper taking EJ's spot.

I hope Bob doesn't use this as an excuse to keep KC away. I can handle the decision if Kenny really is feeling ill/injured. You just have to think it might hurt his chances in the future considering how hard it's been for Kenny to get a shot. Guatemala maybe...

14. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Do you think Donovan would have flown to Europe had the opponents been the Faroe Islands? If he really wants to play club football in Europe again, why wouldn't he want to showcase himself in these higher profile matches against England and Spain? Yes, players (including Donovan) play for the shirt; but they also play for themselves.

15. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

It took Bradley almost 2 years to figure that out....

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, like I said our forward pool is not the best:

EJ's competitors:

Donovan
    Altidore -- 18
    Ching -- brittle and aging
    Cooper -- unproven internationally, until this year had only one strong year at the club level
    Davies -- one good season in Sweden
    Twellman -- 30 caps and little return
    Wolff -- done
    Rolfe -- no impact in international appearances
    Many others with less of a resume

Given EJ's record with the USMNT (be it ancient history), $5 million price tag by a Premier League team (though not the most astute one), obvious phsyical abilities and the fact that he was available, I am not surprised that EJ was given additional opportunities. If he does anything at all at the club level, I wouldn't be surprised to see him given even more chances at times when he is available and MLSers are playing as really only the first five guys on this list have any real possibility of cutting it, and that is not enough depth.

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob has said time and time again that EJ's speed has been a factor in naming him to the roster and/or starting him. And we all assume his former knack for scoring against CONCACRAP didn't hurt either.

But now you have an in-form goal scoring speedster in Davies who is younger and thus, has more potential.

Unless EJ does a complete 180 this season Davies has his spot on lockdown by the time the Confed Cup comes along.

18. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    davies could easily get tranferred in january to a higher caliber league...

i've been high on him since his BC days...

by 2010, i think davies and altidore are sure locks...

if donovan is counted as a mid, there are two other forward slots open...

although of adu/donovan, one gets counted as a forward, for categorization sakes...

the 4th forward....well, that could be anyone...

cooper in the mix , and one hopes a call for guatemala plus 10 hex matches and minimally 3 confed cup matches, plus whatever gold cup 2009 matches there are, the last forward steps up...

it might easily be april/may 2010 before that last spot gets claimed with the MOST in form guy then earning the last spot

19. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they protect local players by setting limits on the number of foreign players on rosters.

20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also serves as a way of developing local talent and a good WC roster (per the the Don, Fabio Capello).:)

21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I certainly hope FCD advances to MLS Cup (on 11/23) so Cooper will have a reason to turn down an invitation to the camp for the US/Guat game (on 11/19). :D

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

A little misleading dontcha think..?? you conceed he's had 2 good years....only been here 3... and missed most of the third out injured.....

23. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the current Studio 90 segment that's up on US Soccer, especially the "Opportunity Knocks" segment, I can't help but feel that Kenny made the wrong decision in turning down this callup. It was a grand opportunity for him, even carrying a slight knock. I really hope for his sake it doesn't come back to haunt him.

24. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    There was no opportunity. He wouldn't play. He can force his NT place by having a good season in Europe. The next game is critical for Dallas: a good decision.

25. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To add to the above, we have no proven forwards at the international level other than Donovan and somewhat Ching. With the young age (Altidore, Davis, Cooper) of the other fowards, we need to have at least six forwards getting some playing time at an international level. This would take into consideration injuries, poor form, and the failure to develop in time for 2010.

At the moment, I think the six who should be considered:

Donovan
    Altidore
    Davis
    Cooper
    Ching
    EJ

I hate to include EJ because he doesn't deserve it and I have no confidence that he is ever going to mount to much. However, I don't see much of a choice in the moment. I don't want to pull an Arena and rely on certain players only to have them be injuried or out of form.

We need options...