Cooper injured - out 8 weeks

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dynamofan, Jun 10, 2007.

1. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    Well, for all of you hoping to see Kenny Cooper in the Copa America, looks like that's not happening. He broke his tibia tonight in the Dallas-LA game, on a bad tackle by Tyrone Marshall (Marshall got redcarded for the play).

Report is here

2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap,I really wanted to see him play in the Copa.:(

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damnit i heard about that too :( such a shame he's one of my favorite MLS players. Not sure if he's cut out for the nats, but i love his story and where he comes from. Deffinetly a great MLS player. Part of the game though. He probably had a good chance of getting brought in for the Copa though.

Theres been reports out of Dallas that people actually heard the bone break from the stands....

4. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlsnet.com/quickkicks/

go to the 2nd half game highlights, and click on the "Marshall red card" highlight. It sounds pretty bad.

5. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching this on the internet, and the moment I saw the tackle and heard the "smack" I turned to my wife and said, "He just got his leg broken!"

Sad to hear it's true :(

6. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm a Galaxy fan, but we must outlaw Tyrone Marshall 89th minute, 3-1? we werent going to win.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Chris Rolfe also out 6-8 weeks. Damn.

And no LD for Copa of course.

This leaves us with Twellman, Ching, and EJ.

Big chance for someone like Herc.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, no Rolfe or Cooper. your not kidding we're gonna have some big reaches in the Copa America. Herc looks instantly more viable, even Cunningham. This is seriously what we are down to here.

I think the Copa lineup will be more of the same though, EJ, Twellman, and Ching play both tourneys...and i figured one more MLS forward would be brought in. my first guess would have been Cooper or Rolfe. Now....Id probably take Herc as my next choice, and maybe Cunningham as well. Theres gonna be one more forward for sure going to this thing if Donovan doesnt play the Copa, and from where im sitting it looks like itll be Cunningham or Gomez. Really not sure which of the two id prefer right now though?? I think Im leaning a little towards Herculez.....

9. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cunningham please.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    either way i think Herc and Cunny are gonna have a little extra swagger in their game these next few matches. I think both of them know whats up. At the same time do their best not to get injured.

I really dont care honestly, whichever one shows better Im totally cool with, wouldnt mind it either way.

Reason i might be leaning a little towards Gomez is we havent seen him, he's been on a good run in MLS and itd be nice to see him get his first cap. Not sure if he's Int'l quality but we'll never know until we try....

11. LetsGoYanks

LetsGoYanks Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Dirty South
    Was watching it on HDNet, f*ing dumbas* Balboa said, "That's a yellow, AT MOST."

I felt like smacking him.

12. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    To tell you the truth, if I ever saw Balboa in person, I would kick him square in the nuts. I'd take the assault charge as payback for someone who is very close to me whose career he ended. Balboa is a POS has been who sucks at announcing a soccer match. Every time he speaks, he makes me either want to vomit or hit someone.

13. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    Whose career did he end?

14. Calcio

Calcio New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Balboa broke Dan Calichman's leg with a slide tackle from behind. Vicious, nasty, totally uncalled for, and the POS Balboa to this day denies he did anything wrong. Everytime I see him on TV I want to vomit.

15. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a dangerous tackle, but on the replay it looked like there was no intent, and it wasn't from behind. His legs were a little high, but the ball was bouncing around, so I think there could be an arguement made that it was a little harsh.

16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. McBride, please answer the white courtesy phone, Mr. McBride......;)

17. LetsGoYanks

LetsGoYanks Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Dirty South
    Is there a chance of that happening? I'd love to have McBride for the CA.

Has he ever said whether or not he'd return if he got a call-up?

18. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you kidding me? i was so excited about seeing him suit up for the nats again. i don't want to see the same crew go to copa. tt and ching are not international material.

19. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    :mad: Sucks for Coop

I hate Marshall, the guy's a dirty player, he's had a horrible season, he should just retire.

20. notinthe18

notinthe18 Member

Mar 22, 2006
    We will miss him at Copa America.

21. virtute

virtute New Member

May 20, 2007
    N. California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balboa has to be drunk all the time he comments on the games. Some are totally far from the truth or reality. He's got the be the worse commentator bar none! Even watching the game on the internet, you can hear the pop sound when Marshall kicked Cooper in the shins.

22. Lord15

Lord15 New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Southeast
    I remember that. :(

23. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    That guy just ruined Copa for me. I hate him. He should die from gonorrhea and rot in hell.

24. ClarkC

ClarkC Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Virginia
    And get a multi-game suspension on top of all that. :)

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You got it - three games total (and a small additional fine).

http://oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3487067

Marshall, then playing for the Los Angeles Galaxy, received a red card for a tackle on FC Dallas forward Kenny Cooper in the 89th minute. The red card carries a mandatory one-game suspension and $250 fine, but the MLS Disciplinary Committee decided unanimously to further sanction Marshall's action, adding two additional games of suspension and an additional fine of $1,250. Cooper's leg was broken on the play.