Cooper, Howard, Rossi: ManU vs Birmingham, 12/20

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Campania
    Ferguson Reverts To Carling Cup Kids

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    let's hope the kids can keep up the good form of the club. just 9 points back of Chelski now.

3. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cooper specifically not mentioned. :( when IS he going to leave that club?

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Hell, I say Cooper to Everton. He can't possibly do any worse than their sorry crew...

5. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    On the bright side it seems that he is pretty much out of their plans.

Time to get another club and move forward. I'm sure MR will let us know, or tease us some more, like a high school girl does to a boy waiting for the Holy Grail of manhood.

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Cooper will go on loan in Jan.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Campania
    Cooper

Is he on the bench tonight?

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a chainsaw?

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    Has the club been decided?

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Campania
  11. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Re: Cooper

no.....he probably has several loan options to consider and just needs to pick out the best "fit"

12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004

What do you think would be a good fit (league? league position? style of play? competition at striker? etc)?

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Presumably, any loan would carry him through the end of his contract. Is there anything we should read into this? Basically, I'm wondering why Man U wouldn't just want to void his contract now and let him try to sign on a free during the break. (This assumes that some teams, at least, would be interested in doing so.) Put another way, is there any chance Man U re-signs him after this season?

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Good to hear. We're all pulling for him.

15. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Five Live is airing this one online. I would suspect that since it is a Carling Cup match that it won't be a UK only stream.

Five Live

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I believe it's possible to go on loan for a month and if so that is one way to avoid getting into a "bad" situation. I think loans are particularly tough for strikers as the need to impress (i.e. score goals) is pretty much immediate. I think that if a club has invested money in a player that player is much more likely to be given an extended run of games (see Peter Crouch) than if the player cost nothing ( see Cooper)

Cooper is best as an off striker but given his size he is initially seen as a target man type and that is NOT his best position....I think it took Man Utd a long time to realise this...

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

At some point shouldn't the onus be on Kenny to adapt to what the coaches want and if the coaches want him to be a target forward, shouldn't he go out and do it?

Perhaps that's the route of his problem, not playing the way the coaches want a burly 6-3 forward to play.

I mean, there are plenty of examples of players who changed their position as pros to get on the field. Oguchi was a RB in college and a youth nat. Ashley Cole was a forward. Most defensive mids were originally attacking mids who got shifted at some point along the way.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

It's a fair point. Still, think of Knox Cameron. If he'd been willing to drop back a line or two his career would probably be in a different place than in is now -- but he stuck to his guns, played four years of college forward, and did a pretty solid job up top for Columbus this year. If he thinks he can make it "his way," and is willing to do the work to make it happen, it's difficult to criticize...

That said, tall, strong strikers with the skill and athleticism NOT to play as pure target players might be the rarest, most coveted players in the world. Kenny's set the bar pretty high there.

19. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    a shrubbery

20. dbiesecker

dbiesecker Member

Jul 1, 2002
    CO
    Howard and Rossi in the starting lineup. No Cooper on the bench. Rooney's on the bench though.

21. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game live on Setanta Sports USA. I FINALLY get to see Rossi play.

22. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1' Pressure deep in the Birmingham box by Rossi forces a bad giveaway for a corner but ManUtd wastes it.

2' Heskey can't settle a very nice route one ball over the top

3' Rossi draws a free kick in the City half. O'Shea heads back for Rossi who hits the crossbar from 8 yards.

23. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4' Howard gets an iffy back pass from his defense (what does this defense have against Howard?) but clears it out well

6' Ronaldo and Rossi work a nice 1-2 and Ronaldo draws a free kick 40 yards out. Ronaldo surprises everyone and shoots and Maik Taylor does well to just hold the ball.

24. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7' Rossi and Taylor meet at the top of the 18 on a through ball but Taylor controls well. "Certainly a livewire this Rossi" the commentators say.

8' Howard denies a completely unmarked Dunn with a sharp save from 12 yards