Cool Stadia Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by IowaBoy, Apr 15, 2006.

1. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me if anybody thinks this is unnecessary or should be somewhere else, but given Village_Idiot's comment that all opinions are welcome on what people like/dislike about a future stadium *crosses fingers*, I thought it'd be interesting to have a thread where we could post pics of stadia that we think have elements we'd like to see in a future Wizards stadium.
    In my very small amount of work thus far, I've focused on stadia within 5K or so of what the KC stadium would be, just for the sake of easier visualization and more direct comparison.
    I think it'd be nice for KC to have a distinctive stadium among its SSS peers. What would YOU like to see? (other than a SSS, obviously we all want that)
    http://www.stadionwelt.de/stadionwelt_stadien/index.php?template=stadionlisten&view=weltweit
    has a TON of stadium pics from around the world...have fun!

2. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a little small, but I like the look of Getafe's stadium. Only seats 14,000.
    [​IMG]

3. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nuevo Colombino in Huelva, Columbus' takeoff point when he set sail to America. The sea is optional, but may be too expensive.;)

[​IMG]

4. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    liberty stadium - swansea city

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

seats 20.5k and only cost around 27M pounds.

5. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though this stadium only holds 10,000, it has almost the same effect in soccer as Arrowhead has in the NFL. The first time Numancia was promoted a few years ago they rode this stadium to an undefeated home season, until the last home game loss to Betis. I like the closeness to th field and the overhanging roof all the way around. If you can keep the same atmosphere with 10,000 more seats you're in.

[/img]http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/spain/castile_and_leon/soria_pajaritos1.jpg[​IMG]

6. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

fixed your first image

7. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2005, in Wales.

It would probably be in the $55 to $60 million range by the time it would be built in KC.

8. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so we're comparing apples to apples, Google says 27M pounds is ~47 million US Dollars.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Rayo Vallecano has a packed in 15,500 seater: Estadio Teresa Rivero. I always liked how that stadium looked on TV. I think Sam's been there.

10. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of the downtown arena here in KC they should have done it up like they did in Arnheim.

[​IMG]

11. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kind of a dump. One end has only a wall behind it...no seats, because it backs up against a neighborhood. Very much a neighborhood stadium, and it's right by a metro stop.

12. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Change the seats to blue and put Kansas City Wizards on the seats and we are set.

The whole thought of putting a stage at one end makes me sick. It totally kills everything about the new stadiums that are popping up here in the US. Sure it will bring in extra money from the one time concerts but isn't that what VA and the new arena being are for anyway?

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dreams are a wonderful thing, aren't they?

14. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is just to bad none of the fans have any say in what the stadium should look like. Unless of course you are rich enough to be the owner of the club. ;)

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no problem... they're already speculating that the complex will cost around 90-120, right? by the time construction starts, i bet it'll be as high as $130M.

16. cbuscat

cbuscat New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Beijing
    What do you guys think of this one?

Euroborg Stadium of FC Groningen in Holland. Capacity is 20k.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While I agree 100% there seems to be a stage missing that everyone is so hell bent on having in all the new stadiums.:(

18. SamPierron

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are many better ways to integrate a stage. Hopefully, Bridgeview will lead the way in that regard. As for our project...I have no idea if there'll be a stage or not. I don't think anyone really knows for sure yet. I do see the benefit, but it *has* to better integrated than at PHP.

19. SamPierron

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's cold and depressing. Next!

20. SamPierron

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoon...I don't get it. An attorney representing the ownership group is not only a season ticket holder, but posts regularly on these boards asking for input, specifically on these matters. So...where don't the fans have any say, again?

21. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen much in the way of suites integrated into many of these Euro stadia, here's one where Aris plays in Greece that does. Seats 22,800. I would assume that suites will be a necessity to bump up revenue in a new stadium.
    [​IMG]

22. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This design looks like it would do well at keeping sound in. Slope might be a little steep, though. Like the roof on it. Home of Beitar Jerusalem, seats 21K.
    [​IMG]

23. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever the design, I really just hope the stadium has 4 sides of roof, preferably connected together (that swansea stadium would be PERFECT).

When you're talking purely about stadium construction, I really don't think that theres any other element that does as much to improve the atmosphere as a full roof over all or at least most of the stands. that's what separates teh HDC from Pizza Hut Park and The Crew stadium.

24. SamPierron

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The steep slope is a good thing. Holds the noise in. I've only seen Kollek Stadium from the highway (and before the renovation, at that), but it's pretty cool-looking. Stone exterior...fits in with Jerusalem.

25. SamPierron

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed about the roofing. I do have a point to make about the corners, though...unless you have a field that rolls out, the filled corners substantially reduce airflow and make growing more difficult. This isn't as much of an issue with a 20K seat stadium, but it's still an issue, particularly if there's roofing.