Cool Rockin' Mommas from the USA

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by kolabear, Jul 10, 2011.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of what else happens in the World Cup, if the '99 team was David Letterman's Babe City, this team is the Cool Rockin' Mommas from the USA.

Megan Rapinoe, at least, should appreciate that. (...Born in the USA.../ I'm a Cool Rockin' Daddy in the USA)

Thanks to Megan, and in spite of the ambivalent nature of Springsteen's lyrics, not only did I put Born in the USA in my 4th of July playlist but I was reminded of a favorite Springsteen song from that same album that had slipped my mind and which I've been playing all week including just before the Brazil game.

Tonight I hear the neighborhood drummer sound
    I can feel my heart begin to pound
    You say you're tired and you just
    Want to close your eyes
    And follow your dreams down...

Well we made a promise
    Swore we'd always remember
    No retreat, baby
    No surrender

Like soldiers in a winter's night
    With a vow to defend
    No retreat, baby,
    No surrender!

Now young faces grow sad and old
    And hearts of fire grow cold
    We swore blood brothers against the wind
    I'm ready to grow young again
    And hear your sister's voice calling us home
    Across the open yards
    Well maybe we can cut some place of our own
    With these drums and these guitars

Cause we made a promise
    No retreat, baby
    No surrender

Blood brothers in a stormy night
    With a vow to defend
    No retreat, baby,
    No surrender

Now I'm on the streets
    and as lights grow dim
    The walls of my room are closing in
    There's a war outside still raging
    You say it isn't ours anymore to win

I want to sleep beneath peaceful skies
    In my lover's bed
    With a wide-open country in my eyes
    And these romantic dreams in my head

Cause we made a promise
    No retreat, baby,
    No surrender...

1 person likes this.
  2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm going to get a drink somewhere tonight where they have a jukebox or where the bartenders will let me play a couple songs off my phone. I have my circa-2004 Abby Wambach jersey with me.

Thanks to Megan, I'm playing Born in the USA. I'm playing No Surrender, the other Springsteen song I quoted above.

What else? I think I'll save Marvin Gaye singing the National Anthem for the Final. Ditto Ray Charles singing America the Beautiful (couldn't we make it our alternative national anthem? Kind of like having a home jersey and a road jersey and a 3rd jersey? But it has to be the Ray Charles version)

AC/DC "Shook Me All Night Long"? Was that the song Pia played on her air guitar a couple days ago?

I don't know whether I'll feel like playing something in honor of France and what would I play anyway for their soccer team - something by a chain-smoking Serge Gainsbourg? Guess I could play that Carla Bruni song Quelqu'un m'a dit. Beautiful song but a downer -- but maybe that will fit their mood once we're done with them.

Anywho, I meant to start a thread a couple months back when I noticed that the US Soccer facebook page was taking suggestions for stadium playlists during the last series of friendlies leading up to the World Cup. I'm sure they could've used BigSoccer's help. I shudder to think what blared over the loudspeakers without the benefit of our musical sensibilities here.