Conway = d**khead

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Toad_of_Toad_Hall, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm on the fence about this one. one side of me agrees that he should "move on from the past" and focus on training and not past bad decisions made. But of course I believe we deserve some kind of explanation. even if it were just him saying he didn't know it was illegal etc... but just to totally shut off any answer to it is kinda shady IMO

3. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow what an ass. Im sure this wont go away. He will have to address this sooner or later.

5. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

So I guess we can rule out supplements now...

6. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    How about if was Parke or some body else the instigator and he don't want to point Parke now that he isn't here or some body else that has not been scrambled in all of this...

I will like to know all the freaking thing too, but he did his time, he pay for his fault, the case is close, the case isn't essential no more, what is essential is to be ready soul and body for the long, long season that we are ready to start, but if you disturb the harmony that our player have right now, all the preparation and good byes and welcomes of players will be for nothing...

7. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I would actually guess this is just a result of Conway's attitude. Like, "What the hell? I didn't do anything wrong? I bought the stuff at a friggin' GNC!!"

It seems like he hasn't come to terms that he was extremely stupid for not checking with the trainer and feels he has nothing to apologize for.

I'm guessing, of course.

Either way, it was a disappointing statement from Pants. He should have just said, "I thought what I bought was totally legal. I didn't check. I was stupid and my bad. Sorry to the fans, sorry to Red Bull, thanks to the organization for being cool, and to Danny Cepero for stepping up." That would have been the end of it, pretty much.

Although at this point - whatever. Let's move on and start the season!

8. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever. I think people are idiots for trying to compare this to steroids in baseball. An over the counter suppliment available at GNC and the Vitamin Store? REALLY??

What the ******** is the next conspiracy going to be?? Fortified milk?

Give me a break. The punishment was way too harsh, and to crucify Conway because he's decided not to fan the flames of the "hard hitting" soccer journalists that had nothing better to do this week? That's idiotic too.

And don't give me that crap about him being a role model.

For ********s sake, he broke no laws. Not like quite a few fans that drink way too much and drive after every ********ing game*. Let's start shining a light there, if you are soo worried about teaching kids the wrong messages.

* Of course, there are plenty the party responsibly, having friends drive or taking public transportation. I'm not bashing the drinking, just the hypocracy.

9. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Whoa, just chill for a bit, alright? You're the first to bring that little chestnut into the thread.

No one's pressing the guy, and no one should. If it's supplements, say so. I'll nod my head and go back to my morning coffee. If not, I'm not going to ban him from the team, and if he wants to win back his spot he has every right, but is it alright to call douchebaggery on Conway without getting the Four Horsemen act?

10. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, don't be a buzz kill. I was building a great rant there! :D

11. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    He say that before, why all of you want him to repeat him self one and another time, live him along....

12. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Don't fool yourself with the "over the counter" argument.

While there are exceptions to every rule, generally athletes know all too well how certain "supplements" break down in the body and produce desired effects.

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He is still a better goalkeeper than Cepero.

14. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Bravo, bravo, ...clap...clap....You are freaking right than there...

15. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conway really had no way of doing this "right". If he had answered one question he would have had to answer all of them. Sadly, the "I'm not talking about the past" line was about the lamest way he could have gone. Especially seeing how badly it worked elsewhere in the sporting world. Whoever advised Conway to say that is a fool.

16. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    debatable. He's definitely a lot more expensive than Cepero though.

17. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does the protein in Fortified Milk. :rolleyes:

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You give the "athletes" too much credit. I doubt they read up on the science of this, and rather rely on trainers (who may not know all) and word of mouth. I doubt there is a lot of due diligence.

The only thing they are aware of is the desired effects.

19. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ding ding ding ... we have a winner :p

Spot on. Taking it one step further, Conway has shown himself to be a bigger fool for accepting such lame advice. Unless he's been living in a bubble and has no idea how poorly that approach has worked with other athletes (as you allude to).

The whole thing is pathetic. I give Parke some credit for saying something; Conway gets none, for trying to pretend there's nothing at all to be said. Lets' just move on, la la la. Very disappointed in him.

20. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, quite an audience. I may be one of the few here, but I totally understand why Conway avoided the subject. There is absolutely nothing he could say that would make the situation better, so he just avoided the question. Is it lame, you may say so, but then again from his point of view it was the thing to do. And to be honest, if I were in the same position, my answer would have been the same.

21. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are we making such a big deal out of this. I personally don't care too much about this over the counter supplement issue. This situation is completely different that the steroid use in baseball and its stupid to compare the two. We are making a big deal out of nothing.

22. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    It's not a big deal. It's just disappointing that Conway didn't man up. No acknowledgement, even, that his stupidity could have caused the Red Bulls to miss the playoffs? Thank god for Cepero.

Parke manned up last year and put out a great statement. Conway should have followed suit.

But who cares.

3 more days!

GO BULLS!

23. BLewis1968

BLewis1968 Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Where did he ever say that before? Can you find a link, or video or clip? I'd love to post it on the blog, but I think you'll be searching for awhile. As far as I and everybody else that covers the team can remember, he has NEVER addressed it. Which is the point. He's not repeating anything; he never talked about it the first time.

If you were just going to refuse to comment, that is certainly his right. He's not under oath here. My point has only been that he could just as easily have done that FIVE months ago, instead of repeatedly saying "I can't talk now. I hope you guys understand. But in a little bit I'll be able to talk, and then I'll discuss this.'' Why lie, and drag this on for nearly half a year? He could've just stated from jump "I ain't talking about this. I'm NEVER talking about this. Don't bother asking.''

24. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the impression that Conway is in denial about his doing something seriously wrong. What he did was seriously wrong, and demands a full accounting and a full apology to the fans (at least those fans who think the way I do). Sure there will be fans that don't care and don't think this is a big deal, but sad to say, it is a big deal. Using any sort of performance enhancing drugs, whether they work or not, is a serious matter in sport.

The only exception to the above would be if he were to admit something that would be self-incriminating from a legal standpoint. But I do not think that is the case here.

25. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe metz is getting Conway confused with Parke. If anything, Conway should have referred to Parke's statement and said "yeah, what he said". I say everyone should move on as it was two of our players taking over the counter supplements. This whole incident does not even come close to some roid-head baseball players injecting themselves with actual anabolic steroids.