Convey: Reading v/ Didcot, 7/14 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FC Tallavana, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Convey has talent but for some reason there is a force field around the goal when he plays.He can be 1-1 with an empty net and the post will dive to block his shot. I actually like him, but he has ALOT of trouble scoring!

2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    See no reason to start new threads on every preseason game, they had another today, something city, boro city? I forget. anyway, convey up top in the 4-3-3 for the first half, then replaced by the new Irish scorer Doyle.
    According to thegame report, convey played well, missed his chances (wow, new) but had a couple nice passes and a nice mazy run.
    The 4-3-3 suits convey, i'd think. gives him two, three maybe four spots on the field. Hed started up top with Kitson (their only scorer last year) and new record signee lita (29 goals in league one, but more importantly for convey, takes over the most expensive ever tag from convey's name). game report:

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~686866,00.html

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Agree 110% about the "most expensive tag" and the 4-3-3.

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another day, another friendly, this time at Farnborough. Convey, in spells, was one of the better players in a unimpressive display. He even had a decent shot which went just wide. Should the fact that he didn't pass to the better placed debut boy Lita indicate that Convey had trouble picking him out with his legally blind eye, or had Bobby taken a stint in Joe 90's Brain Impulse Galvanoscope and absorbed Nicky Forster's brain patterns and physical inability to pass the ball?

Convey looked a little bigger, and showed a bit more willingness to "put himself about" which was a good sign, and the 4-3-3 gave his a bit more freedom to get involved.

Overall though it was very much "pre season friendly" fare. With the temps nudging 90F, and the lack of any mentionable stands to create any shade, coupled with very dark blue shirts which it would probably have been possible to fry an egg on by half time, nobody was looking to burst their lungs for the cause today. A surprisingly threadbare pitch, with more little bumps than a teenagers face, hardly helped flowing football, but Reading ought to have had the game sewn up by half time. We were camped in their half so much that I expected to see the Farnborough officials erect a standpipe and shower block near the penalty area, but chances were spurned until Glen Little seemingly effortlessly poked a curious goal across everyone into the far corner, on the stroke of half time.

Substitutions came thick and fast in the second half, with bobby being one of the first to depart. Even with a very young side, Reading looked the only team likely to score, so it wasn't a real shock that the next goal came from Farnborough - a poor back-pass gave Stack a "hospital ball" which he got to first, but his clearance fell to a Farnborough player who chipped in from 30 yards. The hope that this might inspire the team to push forward again was hindered by only two of them seeming interested in playing, and the performance was capped by another dreadful backpass in the 90th minute. This time Stack couldn't get get there and their forward nipped round him and scored from a tight angle. Stack will hope his defence at his court case at the end of the year is better than the one in front of him for the second half, or the only football he'll be seeing is for the Wormword Scrubs XI. Although not really at fault for either goal, and not given a chance to do anything else by the otherwise anonymous Farnborough attack, nobody is apparently assuming Stack is going to take over the No.1 shirt just yet.

5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Richard...just tell the Reading site to keep this phrase handy for the season, will ya?

6. Godalfree

Godalfree New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    New Orleans
    Or the phrase "Open Net".

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    From the highlight reels (and, to be fair, if you don't look good in your own highlight reel that's just sad) Lita and Doyle are the goods, look to be a big upgrade over forster's recent form (over time, no complaints about forster, a great goal-scorer for years, though I never liked him as much as cureton).
    Kitson is obviously class for the ccc. Little is a strong right wing and should bounce back. Sidwell looks to be staying, and is class in the middle. The defense is solid, all around this year, but needs depth.
    This team has a largely proven core, with a couple exciting new players. All three of their strikers do well with their heads. Quality balls from the outside are going to lead to production.
    Playing well on the left is going to mean a lot to this team. I don't know that lita. kitson and doyle are a good match-up, but they might be.
    I'd think convey is best served being a bit selfish right now, as i think he brings a lot of what this team needs, but coppell is going to want to see a goal or two from him.
    Reading is shaping up well, and could be a better team than last year. But the ccc is better than last year, so improving on 7th might mean really improving quite a bit.
    But, for playing time, up top I'd think the top competition for three spots will be among kitson, lita, doyle, morgan and convey. In the midfield, for three spots, it will be little, sidwell, harper, hunt, hughes and convey.
    As for Stack, I'd agree that MH needn't worry yet.

8. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    it's actually:

RE5PEK (on the license plate that is)

9. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    it's actually:

RE5PEK (on the license plate that is)

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Nice pic of Bobby doing what he does best...

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    slicing through 2 defenders?

14. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Don't know about you...but I've seen Convey do that move a thousand times.

And hey, its works! :)

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I've seen him try it a 1000 times....:)

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and bless his heart, he'll try 1000 times more.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Compared to "XXX", who would fail and never try again.

Oh, and btw, one day, Bobby will succeed ... just hope that day is sooner than later. He did nutmeg a Costa Rican in Utah ... so that could be a start of something big ...

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, this is a little bit interesting, maybe very interesting, maybe way too early.
    Three expected starters were missing _ shorey (defense) sidwell (central mid) and Marcus H, but the other eight in the starting group is thought to be the starting group. The team did not play as well in the second half as coppell hoped, but he was typically calming...
    http://www.getreading.co.uk/story.asp?intid=12431

Now, I don't read too much into this. But convey wasn't among those playing to disappoint, and was among those starting and playing well. It might mean something. I mean, early doors and all, but we're not much more than three weeks out, are we.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    the match report from the reading site on this match is very complimentary of Convey in this match. and fromthe article you got there....

Coppell told the Evening Post: “I am disappointed. At half-time we were looking good. We had plenty of possession and they didn’t really get near us. Everything was great.

“I didn’t have the squad to make the 10 changes that I have been making at half-time so I decided to give players 10-15 minutes more. Two players actually played the whole game. We lost our way in the second half, and the players who came on disappointed me.”

Convey got subbed at halftime :)

btw - does Coppell HAVE to be su brutal about his own players to the press?

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    What the hell is a Farnborough? :eek:

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the ancient borough of ..err.. Farn I suppose.

A small-ish town about 20 miles from Reading, famous for its air show, and that's about it.

The football team rose to conference level in the mid 1980s, which isn't that impressive until you consider the club formed as a parks team (i.e. recreational league) in about 1970. Off the top of my head, I think they had the same manager when they got to the conference as when they started out on the parks.

They were a comfortable, if poorly supported, conference team up until two years ago, when they were owned by a guy who decided (with some success it has to be said) to be the manager as well (as well as scrap the clubs traditional yellow/blue colours for red and white). Then mid-season he made the seemingly baffling decision to sell all of the club's best players to Stevenage Borough, I think for the sum of £0.00p. The confusion didn't last long, however, as a few days later he quit the club and took over another club instead.......Stevenage Borough. Farnborough just survived that season, but went down last year. This year they appear to be making a big effort to come straight back up, having taken a lot a triallists on. And they've also gone back to yellow and blue. The previous week they won a friendly at local rivals, and self-styled, ahem, giants of North Hampshire, Aldershot Town. On the down side they charge £10 to get in, which seems outrageous. On the positive side, they did have two reasonably nice looking barmaids in the social club. Not stunners, but pleasant enough, with just enough hint of imperfection to make you think you stand a decent chance.
    It's not really a hotbed of football though, which makes the existence of Cove FC, half a mile down the road, even less understandable. Cove is famous for even less than Farnborough. Perhaps its only claim to fame (or imfamy) is being the home of a nutter who planted two bombs in London a few years ago. Tenuously, a friend of mine's girlfriend's best mate (or something like that) used to live in the same shared house at the time, and was most alarmed to find armed police bursting into her bedroom at 4am when they came to arrest him. Talking of armed sieges, there was one round the corner from me a few years back. I slept through it, but all the houses round the corner in line of possible gunfire were evacuated. It's a nice place really. All the Murders I know about have been domestics, and both were in the same street (a very ordinary street). One was a husband & wife (can't remember who killed who) and a rather tragic one with some husband killing his entire family. Actually, now I think of it, they was someone who was stabbed to death by hells angels, but I think he was a hells angel himself, not a local. Other than that, it's fine.

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

You are an enormously valuable contributor to this forum. Further barmaid information would be much appreciated!

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    his posts in here are generally the highlight of BigSoccer day

24. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    So much to write about Convey, so little time...

25. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Nice. Well done. Are you a history prof? (maybe a later career? :) )...

But I would like to know: What does this all have to do w/Jude Law shagging the nanny? (what is HIS deal anyway?)