Convey: Reading v/ Didcot, 7/14 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FC Tallavana, Jul 15, 2005.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Convey had a few near misses in the match. He started and played 45 in Reading's 7-0 win. Not much that can be concluded from this but I thought it would be nice to actually discuss Convey in his own thread today. ;)

The match report.

FWIW, Convey came on at the half and played 45 the day before against Staines Town. He wasn't mentioned at all in that report.

2. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Florida
    On a Reading message board they thought Bobby was outstanding. They said Bobby was always wanting the ball and taking players on. Most of them gave him an 8 rating.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, i also noticed that. it would seem that he's off to a pretty good start. good for him.

4. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You guys have the link to that board

5. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on Reading's boards mentioned that Convey seemed to be playing a lot in the center. Another person commented that there were 4 wingers in the game at one time. Obviously not all of them could be playing in the wing. I know Reading's been looking for another central mid. Anyone know if Reading's seriously considering using Convey in that role? I still believe that the middle is probably Bobby's best position.

6. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I am hearing a Jimmy Page riff somewhere...

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haven't they been winning a lot of these preseason matches by scores similar to 7-0? I mean, how much can we learn from that? If they're beating a team that bad, bobby sure as hell better look good. hell, I would expect to look good in a game like that. and I'm probably only third division material (they stand around a lot in the third division, right?)

when will reading play some games where there would appear to be some sort of challenge where we can get a better feel for bobby's progress?

:)

8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Right now you have to rate Bobby against the other middies for Reading...on a curve.

9. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Wake me up when Reading wins a friendly (vs. nobody) 7-0 AND Bobby gets mentions + goals....

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Why? Bobby isn't a big goal scorer.

11. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. And neither is Conor Casey, but we reported on his games last season.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sadly, not much. I learned a long while back that sometimes the crappiest players on a team take over against the minnows. It's their one chance to look good and they seize the moment.

Then again, maybe Bobby's truly on the comeback. Hope so. But we can't tell until they start playing some teams where most of the players still have both of their legs.

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Bobby Convey is not big goal scorer.....tell me more why do you
    think so?....just curious about your opinion....
    you know i´m learning from you all here about american soccer..
    thanks

bltleo

14. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    When your team wins 7-0, and attacking is at least 1/2 your responsibilities (from midfield), excuse me if I expect to hear mentions of a great assist or goal (at minimum). If your teammates can all get on the board, you should be able to also. Surely, he has/had some chances in games like this

In other words, let's see him generate something material (of real value) vs. commodity middle-of-the-park yeoman work (which is easier to find in abundance)..

15. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I would be happy to hear about a great Convey assist against a good team, a crappy team....really any team. Even the maccabi team.

Scratch the 'great' btw.

16. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    That's a problem. While a winger obviously isn't expected to get as many goals as a forward, a quality winger will get his share of goals (think of Beasley and Lewis). Particularly when your team is winning matches 7-0, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your midfield to chip in some goals. I think finishing is one of the big weaknesses in Convey's game. I remember watching live DC's opening game back in 2004 (Adu's debut) and Convey missed an unbelievable sitter -- it was something my 87-year-old grandfather would have put away....

17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    But goal scoring is not his game - so he can score 8 goals against a crappy team but it won't change the fact that he's not going to be a big scorer in the real games. So why evaluate him based on goals against lower levels of competition? What's the point?

18. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah! A Bobby Convey game report and an MLS single table thread started the same day. Glad things are back to normal on BigSoccer.

Which will get more posts??

19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Did Reading's wingers score any goals last season. If they did I don't remember. Perhaps it's the system more than the player.

20. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Florida
  21. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    For his confidence (which I think any goalscorer must have...to be consistently successful), I think it would be great if he could score against anyone....even the girl at the fish n chips shop down the road...

But if the scoring comes during the season, all the better.

22. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    There really is a Staines?

Respeckt!

23. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Essentially nothing: Didcot are a ninth division team. These games are just gentle warmups to get players back in the swing of things.

24. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I wonder if the West Staines Massive was there? :D

25. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well, yes. He chose Staines deliberately because it clearly wasn't the urban ghetto he'd describe it as. It's not posh, but it's a very ordinary commuter town just outside London. Before the character disappeared his own arse as he got more famous, he used to do reports from ordinary children's playgrounds etc in Staines, talking about he was on the gang warfare boundary, and how many lives had been lost as each gang tried to claim the territory of the swings as their own.