Convey/Hahnemann: Reading v. Leeds, 10-19 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Oct 19, 2004.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Marcus starts, Convey on the bench.

2. rrobz

rrobz Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Leeds up 1-0 - goal by Walton

3. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. rrobz

rrobz Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    40 minutes in, no score.

Goater off for Reading (injured), replaced by Owusu. Sounds like Convey was also warming up, but the manager went with Owusu instead.

41 - Leeds shot on goal, Hahnemann can't handle it at first, but then holds on.

5. rrobz

rrobz Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Reading with the equalizer - Owusu on the rebound after a free kick by Shorey.

6. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Convey on for Little with about 8 min left

7. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahnemann saves the points for Reading with an excellent save from Brian Deane in the 3rd minute of injury time.

Brian Deane even applauded Marcus for the save he thought it was so good.

1-1 final.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, at least they got ONE point. Leeds hasn't had a sterling beginning to their season though, have they? it would have been nice to get 3 from them. oh well, it's better than a loss.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I've reas reports that Convey got high marks for his work for the short time he was in. let me see if I can find it again

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    http://ussoccerplayers.com/latest_soccer_news/453257.html

oops, my bad that was for his play against Stoke City

11. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    It seems that Little is first choice, as the any where else Bobby can get PT, maybe in the middle, I wouldn't even mind if they put him in left back as long as he gets PT.

12. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the coach at Reading getting any criticism about signing Convey? Lot of money to a small club for a guy that is only getting 8 minutes/game.

13. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Is Bobby a bust?

14. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    ...or we have always just thought too much of him?

He is not LD or DMB as many tried to make him out. BA's constant inclusion of him to try and solve his left back problem has also raised expectations a little too much.
    The kid will need time. At least a year before this statement can be made.
    Has always played well against kids his own age, but has never been more than a good player playing his role against adults.

See what happens in the spring, and we will have a slightly better understanding. He just isn't going to get on the field if Reading are fully healthy. Just not good enough to force the issue.

Time, a little time, and less expectations for BC, and we will all be better off.

15. DP_elyanqui

DP_elyanqui New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    vagabond
    You are beginning to sound like a broken record. I think we fully understand you don't like BC as a player. Maybe you should cut to the chase and change your favorite team to "any team with US players except BC".

16. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're in second place. Only USMNT fans criticise winning coaches

It's not like he's played and sucked, he just hasn't been able to break into a hot starting XI.

17. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Claudio Ranieri would like a word...

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe he should make a macro, to prevent the inevitable carpal tunnel injury.

19. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Maybe. I actually like the kid. I like Reading. These boards in general show either a blind love or a blind hate for this kid. I'm just trying to show a little realism.

Still not sure what he did that was all that great for you at DC. His best performances have always been for the Nats, at this own age, and sporadically for the seniors.

Maybe you need to stop looking with puppy love.

20. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    How do I do that? How do I do that? How do I do that? How do I do that?
    How do I do that? How do I do that? How do I do that? How do I do that?How do I do that? How do I do that? How do I do that? How do I do that?
    How do I do that? How do I do that? How do I do that? How do I do that?How do I do that? How do I do that? How do I do that? How do I do that?

21. DP_elyanqui

DP_elyanqui New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    vagabond
    If you could kindly point out where I have shown this puppy love and blind affection for those who have worn the DC United kit, I would appreciate it. But that's not really my point at all. I read the Reading recaps to see how BC is progressing, not to hear how he isn't up to the level of LD and DMB, that he hasn't done anything for the USMNT, that he thinks he is better than he really is, etc. But I have noticed a trend of you chiming in with this same "realism" in every Reading recap. Your point is well taken, but is starting to get old as I read it over and over again.

22. Mach1

Mach1 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't blame a manager for keeping with a lineup that wins games. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." As long as Reading keeps winning I don't see how Convey can break into the starting line-up, no matter how good he is.

Another thing to consider is they're probably letting him rest so as to not burn him out. Remember, he's been playing since the beginning of the MLS season so if he would have gone to England and started immediatly, by the time their season is over he would have played over a year with no break. Consider this his "off-season" for the moment. I'm sure in another month or so people are either going to get injured or tired and Bobby will be given a chance to prove his worth.

23. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    point taken

24. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It was actually the director of football (no, nobody here knows quite what the job involves either) Nicky Hammond who was the driving force in signing Bobby Convey, not Steve Coppell.

I heard a "friend of a friend" rumour last night, the kind of which has as much chance of being spot on as it does of being a total pile of crap, that the club are not exactly too pleased with Bobby on a "value for money" viewpoint, but the criticism isn't so much directed at Bobby himself, who obviously played no part in setting his transfer fee, but at Nicky Hammond.

I don't think I've heard any fans slating him though. He's not playing badly - he's just not playing well. If he'd been an £80,000 player nobody would be moaning. Mind you, one more crowd like last night would pay his fee in one lump. Or two lumps, but you know what I mean.

Fantastic save by Hahnemann right at the death last night. After a slack season last year, he looks to be getting his form back.

Reading's chairman is too busy nobbing ageing B-List TV celebs to care about Bobby Convey at the moment, I'm sure.

25. YankeeHoo

YankeeHoo New Member

Aug 10, 2004
    NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    obviously reading has been real hot lately, which is the main reason Convey has not been able to get truly involved with the progress of the team... there's still lots of football to be played, and I think the value of his signing will be virtually unproven until he gets a solid 4 week stretch of playing at least 20-30 mins a game, if not 90... it must be awful hard to find your legs if you keep coming in as an 82nd minute sub rather than a 60th or 65th minute sub... but then again they're 2nd in the league, why mess up a good thing?