Contracts

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Englishguy, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Englishguy

Englishguy New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    England
    Hi...Im English and 16 years old, i was wondering how id go about joining a MLS side in 2 years time. Im currently on a 2 year scholership contract over here and want to move out to America after that time..Any help would be appreciated.

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    If you're serious, I'd suggest you try to play in college over here first. Get a list of NCAA soccer coaches and start mailing them tapes.

No offense, but I doubt too many MLS teams would be interested in an 18 year old Englishman.

3. Thunderpac

Thunderpac Member

Feb 16, 2000
    NE Minneapolis
    He could always try out for an A-League team and then try to work his way up to MLS.

http://www.a-league.com/ (not the official A-League site, but has links to all the team pages)

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Contracts

diablo is probably right, but remember, MLS rules give consideration to young players like this, so if the kid has potential, he's got a shot.

5. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Very simple.

Prepare a CV and a videotape, send it to DC United in care of the Head Coach Ray Hudson. Send exact copies to Gazza's agent. Tell him you are willing to fly at your own expense to practice with the team for a week. Wait 5 days after you think it's arrived, and call by phone to confirm it arrived. In another week, send a certified letter asking them when would be a good date to schedule your trip.

If they tell you don't bother, you have your answer. If DC United says their coaching staff will be in Europe during the off-season, tell them you'll go anywhere they tell you to. If they tell you "call us again in two years," then ask them to recommend a US University, and then go that route.