Contract renewals

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by ForeverLOST108, Sep 1, 2011.

1. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Engen, Edwards, and Goebel each got a new contract for the 2012 season while the Flash mutually terminated the contracts of Seger and Maurine.

Not very surprised to see Maurine go after she only appeared in a few games for the Flash.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Really sad to see Seger go - she was great. Probably should've gotten more accolades than she did.
    Yeah, Maurine, not surprised.
    That's a nice threesome to already have signed for next season, though. (And, they'll all stay crisp playing over in Sweden/Finland during our offseason.) I'd bet WNY is waiting on a ruling about the salary cap before really going after Morgan, Sinc, Marta, etc. Though I would think Harris would be easy to get now, right?
    Speaking of Marta, her original three-year contract with the league is up. Wonder how that will play out.

3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/devo/

Devo's Direct Kicks

Flash lose Captain Caroline Seger to Swedish team
    Posted by Jeff Di Veronica • September 1, 2011 • 9:06 am

The Western New York Flash will defend their WPS championship next year without their team captain, Caroline Seger, who has signed with a club in her home country, Sweden. Flash coach Aaran Lines says Seger, the central midfielder who had 5 goals and 1 assist in 12 games (10 starts), has signed a two-year contract with Tyreso. The Flash had the option to pick up Seger’s contract for 2012 if she planned to play in WPS, but she had an out clause to sign elsewhere if it wasn’t in America’s top league. The team officially announced today it mutually terminated the contracts of Seger and backup Brazilian midfielder, Maurine. If Marta does, in fact, choose not to re-sign with WNY, this is another setback for the WPS champs, but second-year pro Becky Edwards was groomed for this role while Seger was at the World Cup. Edwards had 3 goals and 1 assist while starting all 18 games. Actually, I was stunned that Seger only started 10 times, just over half of the Flash’s matches.

Lines on Seger: “We are all sad to see Segs go, but we coulden’t be happier with not only her performance, but her leadership and character on and off the field. She truly exemplifies what the WNY Flash is all about. We wish her the best of luck back in her native country of Sweden.”

Lines on picking up the option on Whitney Engen: Whitney’s had a fantastic season for us and been a real anchor out of the back. She’s developed into one of - if not the best -central defenders in the league. We’re excited to give her the opportunity to play on loan in Sweden this offseason with Tyreso in the Damallsvenskan.”

Lines on Edwards: Becky was an integral part of our squad this season as she contributed both offesnsively and defensively in the center of midfield. She is going to gain some good experience in Sweden and we are looking forward to seeing her back in WNY for 2012.”

Lines on Beverly Goebel, whose option also was picked up: “Bev is a young, talented technical player who gained a lot of experience this year. She really made an impact coming off the bench for us and we will expect to see her play a bigger role in 2012.”

4. SoccerDad00

SoccerDad00 New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    That stinks to see Our Captain Seger go, she will be missed thats for sure. I was told Maurine was part of the deal on sighing Marta, they are really good friends and do everything together. I have a bad feeling Mata is next to go unless something can be worked out. There are a lot of rumors around Sahlens sport park about the Flash working out a deal to get Abby. Time will tell.......

5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Pretty much same deal when Martha brought Johanna Frisk with her from Sweden to SOL, no problems when frisk left after the seasson.
    Had Maurenne stayed it would indicate that a Marta deal was close, this indicates pretty much nothing.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on that series of tweets from Emma Hayes, it seems that WNY paid less in salaries for players than most of us thought--Marta's inflated contract aside. For those that didn't see the post in the main WPS forum, Hayes tweeted that WNY was fifth lowest in total salary if you took out Marta's salary.

As for Marta, there is no way in the current market that she'll get anything close to the reported amount she got from WPS. Sure, teams in Sweden and maybe else where will try to sign her. But WPS shouldn't overpay again.

7. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They won't give her anything near 500k, noted it. Teams backed off last season until Sahlen came along. I'd sit on the curve and see what numbers Sweden puts out and top them by 75-100k or so.

Maurine is back to Santos FT. I said if you are looking for a player sign Thais, just 18 with crazy up side like Ricon, just 17.

Abby probably guarantees WNY 5-6k a game during regular season or more, esp at their prices ($7-$13). Would Marta give MJ big numbers in that new stadium? S FL likes her that much? Dan likes Sahlen, or Sahlen is the only one who can tolerate him, so I could see that deal happening.

Marta would completely open the game up for Press' style, and Raipone and Press play well together, as shown in the playoffs, so they can go without abby.

So, they say WNY was 5th in salary. Did they remove the highest paid player from each team than compared team salaries. hence, if you compare to Boston, you have to remove kelly smith's 100k and so forth per team. I'm betting they didn't do that.

8. QUICK AS A FLASH

Dec 8, 2010
    Do you really think Sinc and Abbey would combine effectively? I don't see it. So you would be looking at a massive change in the team.

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I love Abby but I am convinced that it is better for the league and still good for WNY if she is not on the Flash. Abby is a national heroine as well as Rochester's favorite daughter. Her impact on attendance in Rochester would be much lower if she was here for every game.

10. rflkmts

rflkmts New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    It's official .. Marta is negotiating with a team of Europe .. She did not intend to return to the WPS in 2012 .. Because of this negotiation she excused the Brazilian team that will play the Pan American ..

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCall Zerboni is probably coming back - From Devo's Direct Kicks:

"There hasn’t been any official word from the WNY Flash that they’ve picked up the contract of versatile McCall Zerboni for next season, but since she has been hired to work for the team in marketing and sales this off-season, that’s a pretty good sign. Let’s hope the California girl invests in some good winter clothing."

12. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Flash have now secured the rights to Morgan, Sinclair, Harris, and Bock for next season.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Awesome!

So you have almost an entire XI signed now, yes?

Morgan - Sinclair - ?
    Zerboni(?) - Edwards - Goebel
    ? - Bock - Engen - ?
    Harris

14. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    I am willing to keep her warm.

15. QUICK AS A FLASH

Dec 8, 2010
    Another player signs?

I heard that a another player has just re-signed. Can't say who but I believe that she is a right-footer playing on the left.

Go Flash!:cool:

16. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's officially signed.

17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  19. drmoss

drmoss New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't believe no one is talking about what Abby said on News 10 today about a possible deal with NY Flash for next year. It was all over twitter.

20. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you read her response on twitter? she said she wouldn't leave Dan/MJ...she is on the commercials for goshsakes ;)

21. reallywhy

reallywhy New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I saw that and wondered how a Sinclair, Morgan and Wambach trio would work. Could be great..? And probably exciting to watch.
    Although I'm still partial to Marta returning to the WNY Flash..and Abby would be one too many in that case. Maybe they'll switch places and Marta will head over to MagicJack, if she returns to WPS.

Either way she has a good reason to want to play at home and it would hopefully be a decent draw for steady seat filling at home games.

22. drmoss

drmoss New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I honestly didn't get "magicJack won't be around next year" from the video. Simply sounds to me like it's as 50/50 as it was when the season ended. And there was the mention in a BOS release a couple weeks ago that all six teams would return.
    Well, this is a contract renewals thread. ;)
    (That, and I'm not on Twitter)

24. drmoss

drmoss New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    you are right...just thought it was interesting and wanted to see what other people thought.

25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Devo contacted Coach Lines, Magic Dan, and Abby:

"After a colleague informed me of the tweet, I made a few calls. First, to WNY Flash coach Aaran Lines, who said his team hasn’t and can’t speak to Wambach because she’s under contract to magicJack, where she finished out a strong year last season as its player/coach. He was surprised by Wambach’s comment. Then, I called magicJack owner Dan Borislow to find out what he thought. He was surprised too, and said his magicJack club is “80 percent” in for next year in WPS (and that’s really the crux of all this, which is what Wambach later clarified on Twitter. She really meant that IF magicJack wasn’t around, her next choice would be the Flash. That, to me, is quite obvious)."

"So Borislow said he needed to call Wambach to find out what she meant. After she spoke with him, Abby and I exchanged texts. She said she was “just joking” to the TV reporters and made the comment to try “to get people excited.” So, this is a great lesson. Maybe by making that comment to hometown reporters, Abby thought that it wouldn’t go viral. Well, in this day and age, ANYTHING can from just about any source."