Con't: New BigSoccer (Baobab) Feedback & Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
    Just a guess, but Opera JavaScripts. The new bigsoccer way of showing pictures linked by users is now with javascripting, where the bigsoccer of last week did not use javascripting for these images. The user icons and such still work without javascript turned off.

the guess comes from http://www.felgall.com/javaadd5.htm
    "This last aspect is most important as it is almost impossible to identify Opera users as the browser defaults to identifying itself as one of the other browsers so as to get around the problem of so many web sites carelessly coding browser specific javascript code instead of using Feature Sensing.

The solution is actually rather simple, to use absolute rather than relative addressing on the image references and links generated by the javascript."

This does not help fix the problem, but could explain why it stopped working.

2. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Right -- which is great. No complaints about that. I was just mentioning that the drop-down menus aren't on the My BigSoccer (My Profile) page.

3. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm giving the new skin a try, because the MLS skins' not having rep or user info was a deal-breaker for me. I'd like to join others in saying that the text is very difficult to read; I hope it can be softened in some way.

I also have a question: the "New Posts" tab from the old BigSoccer and from the MLS skins is one of my favorite functions of BS -- seeing the newest BS posts across the site. Is there anything like this in the new BS main skin? If so, where is it? I can't find anything that would function even in a similar way. (If not, please considering adding. :) ) Thanks.

4. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
  5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, just born before '82......:cool:

6. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hey nice job fellas. Takes some getting used to but I really like the new look and feel. Much easier to navigate with the banner tabs and tree hierarchy. Most of all I love the white background. Now I can get away with wasting time on here at work.

7. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Ah I get you now. Yes agreed, would be good if it could be there as well. Though might look a little crowded with all the other options on the left.................

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor, you don't have to go to MLSnet. On BS, go to MyProfile (or MyBigsoccer in the MLS forums), select "Edit Options" scroll to the bottom and select your "Forum Skin." It should default to that skin each time you return to BS. Unfortunatly, the yellow is not back.

9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think I cared too much about the re-design...but after 3-4 days of using the default skin (I really don't like the MLS ones or the 365 one) I am noticing my eyes feeling much more strained then usual and I believe it has to be from reading the text on the new skin.

I'm just offering one more opinion that the new skin is tough on the eyes. Hopefully when the dust settles, it'll be tweeked in a way to make it a little easier to read.

10. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    In my profile, you will find a new list of "usertools" bottom left. not the best location...we are exploring...

noted and on bugs list

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Maybe it's just my eyes (though I very much doubt it) but why is quoted text bigger than regular text? Here, look ...

12. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    No it doesn't, at least not with the regular BS skin...

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  14. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
  15. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    whats yoru browser? i just tested ie and ff no prob

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Firefox

18. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good to see the rep , online & report post buttons back below .. :)

19. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things............

1. What's with all the empty space on the sides?!?!?!?!?!? Now it feels like trying to browse the forums through a keyhole. Seriously, there's no reason for it so just get rid of it ASAP.

2. White = No. If I wanted to look at white all day I'd stare at a lightbulb. (which is how I feel browsing the forums)

20. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    They still aren't there for those of us using the Soccer365 skin...

21. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ahh, so now we get to the crux of the problem. You guys decided to only work a few hours on a Sunday instead of fixing this website. Your family is more important? Slackers.

22. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    cheers,
    T.

Edit: family isn't more important, watching soccer is.

23. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't know if this is happening to everybody but when i try to rep someone, nothign happens .. If if i have to spread rep to that particular poster, then the message pops up .. Any idea why ? Or will i be better off reporting it in the bugs thread ?

24. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for responding. I was really missing my New Posts. (Perhaps I should step away from the comp, eh? :p)

The new look is growing on me . . . now that it's easier to read. Much better.

25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yes - this is a known bug.