Con't: New BigSoccer (Baobab) Feedback & Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jul 30, 2007.

1. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    So if MLS is controlling the MLS skins, would you consider creating a BigSoccer skin that is more readable than the current one?

I really like the colors/layout of the MLS skin, but it's very irritating not to be able to see links.

At the same time, I can't look at the BS skin for more than about 5 minutes at a time. It's too bright and there's not enough separation between posts.

2. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    i may be missing it, but i really miss the icon that showed you which were the new posts in a thread, since the last time you marked the forum its in as read.

just makes it a million times easier to pick it up where you left off.

3. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here:

So in other words, they are probably getting paid by MLS to have those skins. So, kinda selling out in a way. So since this is the case, and big soccer only now seemingly controls only PART of its end user experience / functionality, my question is this: WHO at MLS do we need to be directing our complaints to? I find it highly irritating that some suit at MLS headquarters who likely does not use, nor is familliar with Big Soccer as a user, is making decisions that are going to directly affect 10's of thousands of end users experience here. So W HO do WE need to direct these comments, suggestions, compliments and complaints to at MLS. Either a user name here, or an email address would be nice. Maybe if they get enough complaints, they will turn the functionality control back of to those who actually KNOW what they are doing here.

Make sense???

4. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    no youtube tag button.

:mad:

5. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    The conclusion to be drawn from the explanations Huss and DK have given us is that the redesign is nothing more than a money grab. MLS pays BS to control what the skin looks like. Surely MLS gives BS more money if more people use their skin, so BS makes the other skin look really bad in an attempt to make more people use the MLS skin. At the same time, they offer a skin of their own design that apparently looks half-decent, but only to people who are willing to pay big money for it.

Did you guys see what happened when FC Dallas tried to glean every last penny out of their season ticket holders for the SuperLiga match last week? That's right, they got 7,000 people in attendance and pissed off a lot of their loyal fans in the process. There's a lesson there. Can you see it?

6. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The styles on their forums are the same stylesheets used on their web site, so it's a global thing.

7. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You have lost me. All your points are wrong.

8. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Why else would full-screen viewing only be available to preemies other than to try to give regular members another reason to pay?

9. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  10. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    whoah! ^^^

thats a major negative right there. pic just got resized.

i know its a paint to sometimes see these wide pics, but sometimes there is a reason.
    this limitation just made my post useless.

anyways, here is the pic

http://uploader.futbolmex.net/files/1/bsnew.JPG

11. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's been that way for 5 years. The platinum membership didn't have the left navigation. This isn't new.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not on the business side of things, but I can tell you (as a mod, not from the position of Huss) that you are wrong.

13. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Okay, you've convinced me. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. :eek:

I still think the BS skin needs a lot of revamping though.

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Get rid of the Kicks gimmick and I quite like the new site. Still need a "First" button for thread navigation, btw.

15. United_Caps_Fan

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You can say that again. I used to recomend everyone I knew to at least sign up here, because its a great source of information. Thats why I have 4 referrals. I was about to have 5. I suggested another friend join here. I was having to teach him how to navigate thru big soccer. Just when he started getting used to it, bam, it all changed. I think perhaps that WE, the USERS, should have been given a chance to use the new versions, BEFORE any permanent decision was made to make such sweeping and global changes. I mean seriously, if you are going to ask people to pay for the service / privlage, then why on earth would you not give them the opportunity to decide what THEY want?

I stopped paying for big soccer last year, because I felt that more and more was being taken away. Reputation, post count...etc and so on. Now posting pics that get resized so much you can barely make out what they are? By they way this looks to me, I might as well have an 8 inch computer monitor from all the wasted white space im seeing.

Why would anyone want to continue to pay for something when the scope of what they were getting was being scaled back less and less?

I can tell you, I was going to reup my paid memebership, but after these changes, I have completely rethought that. And please, dont tell me I should pay to give it a try. I want to now SEE what other features and changes I will see if I sigh up, BEFORE i pay for anything. Its kind of like buying a car, we should all be given a test drive.

The new forums are just plain ugly to look at. This was supposed to be an improvement? Did you even look at the penguins message boards I posted?

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I looked at it - just one person's opinion, but I wasn't crazy about all that black.

17. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I pay for a platinum subscription, which comes to $2.92 a month. I bought a frappucino yesterday that cost $3.35 and it doesn't provide nearly as much amusement and melts in half an hour. I'm not rich but I pay for the platinum service because I support that there is a place like this, that they continue to try to improve it, that Huss and DK run this place with patience, good humor and flexibility, that it is a very very open forum, not many rules except for the most basic decency. *insert WR joke here*

It must be interesting to run a business like this where the whole premise is that every user can say what ever they like and have a forum to complain about every nuance. It's wonderful, but it is interesting because every user has their own idea of how BS should be. (Except we all seem to agree on Kicks :p) It is a business and I hope everyone involved gets filthy rich. If things change and I don't think it's a good value, I won't pay for it, or I will just put up with the ads or I won't come to it. I would tell them what I thought, but I have no sense of entitlement about BS.

This is not pointed at those who have given constructive criticism, it's to some of the hysteria here and especially those who have made comments that it's all a money conspiracy. (The different skins seem to be a huge pain in the ass to deal with, I doubt it is worth it even if there is a fee earned - I'm sure they carry them as part of the goal of promoting MLS.) I think the ads are much less intrusive now (when I'm not signed in) than they were. There may be more coming soon, but right now, I think it looks much better. I like the style change and I appreciate all the changes and corrections they've made since it came on line. For me, the speed of the site (except when they seem to be making tweaks) is much faster. Don't know what kind of $ervers and peripheral$ and extra tech $upport you guys had to get but it's working. (Yes, some of us realize these things cost money.)

Personally, I never liked the BS gold and always changed it to BS white. I do agree with those who are suggesting a couple of other simple color schemes (grey and gold) and expect that those will come soon. Carry on...

18. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Best post ever. hehe

19. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Thanks for all the changes so far.

Any chance of links getting a slightly more noticeable color? As they are not that clearly visible at the moment <---example. Maybe others disagree.

The quick reply box could be a little wider as well. It feels like it's smaller than before.

20. United_Caps_Fan

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I think we found a new bug/ glitch in the DC Forum. Huss / DK, you should go check this out because maybe it is some kind of technical bug on BigSoccer's end?

Over on DC's forum, in the same thread about the new BigSoccer changes, This Thread Here

We are getting this:

I have gotten it several times. Every time you go to reload that page of that thread, or go to post a reply, it asks you for this. Is this something on BigSoccer's end?

ALSO:

When I use the BigSoccer for MLS or for any of the teams, it seems to spread the forums out over my whole monitor, and, it shows the pics posted, in full size. Is there a way where we can have the BigSoccer version of the skin, look like the mls/ club version in terms of format, but still give us all the user information that we get using the BigSoccer skin, and also allowing us to continue to see pics posted in full size????

21. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    That was due to some password protected picture that had been posted. I removed so you shouldn't be getting it now.

22. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    yup that's not us, but a user linking to a picture from a site that doesn't want you to link to a picture

23. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
    Is there any way you can create a second thread or a list in this one that gets updated of the bugs and issues you are looking to address? I looked around a few different areas and could not find one. I understand with the new layout there are probably some bugs that came up, just let us know what you are working on to help us be patient...

Currently my biggest complaint is the white background, but I am hoping that is just a temporary problem that you are working on.

24. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to note that the site seems to be running much more quickly than it was at first. Thanks.

25. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh and a quick question... Neither of the skins I tried (RSL/365) are showing rep/post count/etc. Just the "report post" button. I'm actually happy with that, but did you say that's just a feature of the particular skin? It doesn't show up on either of those. I love to give out rep as a quick note to people, but am very happy not to have others status shoved in my face. So anyway...just curious and whatnot. Carry on.