Conspiracy Theory

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by skyscraper, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    'Cept we're not talking about football; we're talking about stadia and fans.
    Actually, the entire Basin is 16 mill. The city of LA proper is 5 mill. I don't recall the LA County population figure.

Which taxpayer? City? Too poor. County? Limited benefit to one municipality at the expense of every other municipality. State? Same thing.

There is currently legislation pending to create a state-wide agency to coordinate stadia building, b/c it's obvious that the overall state benefits, but the grunt work has to be done by one local agency.

You mean that city that was so desperate to bring back the sport that defines Texas identiy that they wrote the Texans' owner a hefty blank check ($800 mill?) for a state of the art stadium?

You're right: the NFL has analyzed the LA situation and has come to the conclusion that it would set a "dangerous precedent" to have an NFL owner finance a stadium b/c it would jeopardize future public monies for future corporate welfare projects a la Houston.

Really, there's very little difference btw the various stadium projects and difficulties surrounding MLS (re.: Harrison, Seattle, Philly) and the NFL: just multiply the $$ by 15.

2. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA county. 9,871,506 (2003) I don't even live there. :D

Stadium from figures I can find were 325 mil.(450 with financing?) and namig rights from Reliant were worth 300 mil, so that helps a little bit.

3. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *waiting for reply*

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    *waiting for something to reply to*

5. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw, come on. Give us somethin' good :D

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My brother has a pet lizard?? :confused:

7. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he like football?

8. Philadelphia is the 4th largest economic market in the US after NY, LA, and Chicago. Of course MLS wants to be there. It is also an easy drive from NY and Washington, making for easy derbies. Lots of TV sets to boost ratings. However, there is no investor, no stadium, and no current plans. But PA will remain on MLS radar just as LA stays on NFL radar. I wish Philadelphia, Houston, Seattle and Detroit would get the next expansion franchises, just from a footprint standpoint.