Consequences of not Qualifying for WC2006

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ninety_minutes, Dec 4, 2004.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bocanegra will only be 31 and as a central defender he's more likely to hold up. Gibbs will be 30. Cherundolo will be 31. Eddie Johnson seems to have put his bid in to be a regular member of the squad and he'll only be 26. so he could conceivably play in 2014 as well. Eddie Gaven will be 24!!!!!! So he could conceivably play in 2018!!!

2. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True but I said it wouldn't be inconceivable for them not to be there. I was considering Gaven and Johnson to be in the next Gen crowd when I was posting, although Johnson has made a case for being on the regualrs now, Gaven still hasn't broken into the "full" USNT status yet. As for the defenders I would think by 2010 with people like Spector, Karbassiyoon and others we've not even heard of yet, it won't be for lack of other talent to replace him that Boca would go but rather experience vs. youth.

3. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    1. "Project 2010" would be dead as a marketing campaign, but I don't think it would actually hurt or help our chances in 2010. Donovan, Beasley etc. had no WC experience in 2002 and were stars, so...

2. Corporate sponsorship would probably suffer. Why would Philips, for example, want to associate itself with a federation bent on self-destruction?

3. I watched 61K+ give Bruce and the boys a standing ovation at MLS Cup 2002. The excitement was palpable. It obviously won't kill the game to miss WC '06, but it'll be a rewind to 1998, only under more cynical conditions. Then, all we had to do was fire Steve Sampson. How can we fire Contiguglia?

4. We would undoubtedly be mocked by the world, starting with those of foreign persuasion in this country. It would certainly mean 4 years of hell on these boards. How many diehard fans really want to go through all that again?

5. SUM would likely divest somewhat in US Soccer, since it would've lost a buttload in advertising revenue from the US not being in Germany.

6. Good luck watching all the WC games live on English-language broadcasts!

4. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    is BA career on the line ? i know he is building his reputation to get a coaching contract from Euro club someday ....