Conscientious Objection to Voting

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by spejic, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I see what you're saying. So, "love it or leave it", then? Didn't realize criticisms of the government weren't acceptable here. Thought it was a free country. My bad.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    All of his crimes..... :rolleyes:
    Let's compare them with the current leaders crimes, shall we.
    Let's start with how many people did he kill or have killed for his 1999 Iraq policy. While he lied about the WMD. And how that compares to sex in the White House.
    http://www.gnn.tv/articles/article.php?id=761
    Then we'll get into Halliburton and other issues....or have we already done that while you've waited for it to go away.

3. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    No, silly, your right to vote was taken away, it's not a free country any more.

Pretty soon you'll have your citizenship revoked for criticizing the country, so you'd better go now before all of the available slots are taken in Cuba.

It would improve the IQ of both countries. The US for sure, anyway.

4. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    You mean like, 500,000 children killed? This is more from his 1992-98 policy
    http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/cps/public/excess mortality in Iraq.pdf
    but this is just silly left-wing propaganda of the sort that you're pushing against dubya. If you want to compare propaganda deaths, Clinton probably has a better body count. And he was the most dishonest person in the history of politics, so you could say that he lied, they died.

No, I was referring more to the mundane crimes of Clinton, like perjury, suborning perjury, having his secret police threaten witnesses, etc.

5. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You're talking about Kenneth Starr aren't you...?

I started to read the report that starts with the aftermath from the first gulf war. then all I could think of was the "Rise up against your oppressor" speech. And Oops! We’ve got the Kuwaiti and Saudi oil safe again...we're out of here, you Kurds and Iraqis are on your own with Saddam.

6. simplysoccerBR

simplysoccerBR New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Curitiba
    Meanwhile in Brazil, a former banana republic, the resullt of the election in my city was annouced 1 hour after the poll ended (and my city has 1.2 million electors). In 3 hours, the national election was completed.

The process was eletronic, fast and clean.

If we, a third world country, can do it, why can't you? What lacks here is politic attitude.

Also, you should have a one-vote per head policy. In some states your vote is worth 1.1, in other, 0.9. That's against all concepts of democracy.

And the system is just stupid. If 51 % of Florida vote Bush, it counts as 100%. You don't elect your president, the electoral college does.

And in Brazil it's being studied a voting by the fingerprints. You could vote for mayor even if you were in the middle of the sea.

I don't think a democracy where the loser gets the job and lies are part of the common routine was the kind of democracy your founding fathers wanted.

7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You just don't understand do you?
    The US voter is considered an idiot by his government and not to be trusted with a responsibility like voting for a leader. That's where the Electoral college comes in (Or the supreme court) to keep them straight.

Got it now.???

Fingerprints, how can you have hanging chads when you have fingerprints. You really don't get it!!!

8. simplysoccerBR

Feb 13, 2004
    Curitiba
    Actually I get it.
    Thinking about it, this is my definition of the USA (and Israel, in some way) :

God has put in the same terrain some of the most intelligent people on Earth with some retarded nazi egocentric human beings, but unfortunatly, for some reason, the stupid ones are more often then not the ones that make their opinion worth.

How else can you explain being the country where Greenpeace was formed and where the leaders refuse to sign Kyoto protocol, what may condemn mankind to extinction ; where modern democracy was started but where some defend death penalty, a barbarian thing only accepted by barbarian countries ; high class science convives with states that don't accept the evolution.

9. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I could explain it to you, but you're not smart enough to understand. You'll have to be satisfied with the foolish definition of the USA that you are already using.

10. simplysoccerBR

Feb 13, 2004
    Curitiba
    My post was a simplification, not necessarialy true nor scientific, but based on reality. As I wrote, that was my simplified opinion. I am not pretensious enough to try to describe perfectly a place as complex as a nation.

Besides, my point was partially confirmed today.

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shhhh. Don't tell them this stuff.

Wait until AFTER we replace three or four Supe Court Justices. Then the "Bush COurt" can start ordering the camps to be built and we'll have these guys right where we want them.

But please - don't spill the beans too soon: they might start leaving the country where we won't be able to get to them until we restart the draft, quadruple the size of the army and invade everyody in sight to get our hands on them again.

Then of course the NAtional Churche can use them as laborers building the new national religious centers, but think of all the time we'll have to waste in "re-education" (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) first.

Wait - this is a PM, right?..........

12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Funny how this guy disappeared before the elections and how he's back gloating, pontificating and spewing hate and crap. Nice going.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I "disappeared" long before the election.

And I don't know about "spewing hate" or whatever absurd construct you care to use. I just came here to laugh my ass off.

Of course, you COULD choose to pay attention, but you didn't after 2000, you didn't after 2002 and I doubt you will now.

Each year you guys all just decided that the problem was that you didn't hate Bush LOUDLY enough. So you keep ratcheting up the bile and the contempt and the hatred and you're just sure that this time it will work.

Here's a clue Sherlock: you may enjoy shouting back and forth at each other inside your Liberal echo chamber, but you're turning the rest of the country off.

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'm not going to read this entire thread, but people who chose not to vote in this election as some sort of protest are jerks.

15. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't have to read the whole thread because the ideas are pretty simple. First, as per the South Park episode, you only assume that the people who are not voting would vote for your candidate given the chance. Second, there are systemic and mathematical problems with the current voting structure (and, by Arrow's Theorm, any structure) that make it very difficult to descern the true wishes of the population filtered through a vote. For example, I could have brought out 10 million people to vote for Kerry in California, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.