Conrad Sweatman on trial at Reading FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by TheFalseNine, May 30, 2022.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Conrad’s mom posted this in the YNT forum:

All quiet on the 2007 front lately, hope everyone is having a nice long weekend. You probably don't really want a mom in this thread, but assume you do like to watch talent, so here you go, a spring season edit (preview - apparently, not complete until after Dallas). Conrad (Sweatman) got his UK citizenship this month, Reading FC trial in the works for July which is exciting. The journey is interesting to say the least ;)

(Emphasis mine)

A 2007 currently with the Barcelona Residency Academy.

https://int.soccerway.com/players/conrad-sweatman/799500/

Danny Woodhead and Winoman repped this.
  2. Futbolislife

Futbolislife Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2022
    Here in Reading with Conrad until July 26. I got to watch his first training session last night with a younger group, Aug 08-Aug 07 bdays (photos). That was a good warm up since Conrad hasn't been on a pitch since the showcase in Dallas. Today he trained with the FT U16s (Aug 06-Aug 07) which is where he is slated to be during the trial. It went well - he said this group was bigger, better, and more technical than yesterday. Coach Martin Dean (Head Academy Coach, 16s coach) said he will play Conrad for 30 minutes in a friendly tomorrow vs Woking unless he is asked to roster some 18s. Hope he will get that match experience. Kids have been very welcoming.

Enjoying fish and chips and curries :) Driving a left-stick is horrendous, and I'm left-handed! Hoping to get more coordinated but managed to get out of London in my rental car unscathed. Much easier to get around now that we have navigation working on the phone...
    IMG_8095 2.jpg IMG_8096.jpg

3. Futbolislife

Futbolislife Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2022
    Conrad is rostered. Looking forward to seeing what this level is like compared to MLS Next. 856130A9-DDED-49F2-8BA2-42F67813BBCA.jpeg

4. Futbolislife

Futbolislife Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2022
    Good game, Reading won 4-2. Conrad played full second half at left wing, most subs were his size and seemed to be the younger players, the starting line up was quite a bit bigger (and powerfully fast). They played more long balls with some good chances, but the first half goals came from a cross/finish, a team one-touch passing series, and a fantastic free kick. Second half, more passing, some up and over but not out and out long balls. Conrad had two shots both body blocked, and set up some nicely paced passes for the striker. Good first experience. I think there will be another game next weekend.
    _DSC7117.jpg
    _DSC7153.jpg

5. Futbolislife

Futbolislife Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2022
  6. Futbolislife

Futbolislife Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2022
    After a 2-day hiatus due to extreme temps in England, trainings resumed yesterday. Pleased to receive a team email with Conrad listed on the "squad" for Saturday's home game vs Aldershot 17s. The inclusiveness and communication from coaching staff has been really impressive.
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 10.12.10 AM.png

TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. Futbolislife

Futbolislife Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2022
    Home game at Bearwood Park vs Aldershot 17s, Reading won 2-0. Fairly even match with a nice Reading goal @ 40 min. Conrad came on at the half as a striker in a 4-1-3-2 formation. His first play was a dime of a long pass on the run, after a speedy dribble out of the midfield, to the other striker whose shot was saved. Reading scored again late on a penalty. I thought the game was fairly matched, some saved shots at both ends, some near misses, and generally good football up and down field. The Reading goalie’s dad asked me after the game, “Can we keep him?” Nice compliment :)
    Conrad’s corner (cameras banned, didn’t know!)

Nice kit!
    E063638C-5BFB-4FF7-95DD-49F616109660.jpeg

TheFalseNine, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  8. Futbolislife

Futbolislife Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2022
    Conrad returned to Barca Residency in Sept, getting a late start to the season after exploring a few other opportunities…so he missed the first few games. Back in action and looking forward to this weekend’s game vs LAFC. Wasn’t sure he would be playing U16 this year, but glad some MLS academies fielded U16 teams. Barca’s team looks pretty good from the videos I’ve watched.

https://twitter.com/stowerealtor/status/1577626378282885120?s=46&t=XkPXeW99_IvC5Bru1YiTpA