Conrad - I was Wrong

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by QuakeAttack, Oct 21, 2004.

1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orginally, when we traded Conrad to KC, I felt that it was a good trade because Conrad wouldn't get better and had a tendency to pickup yellow cards.

I'm here to admit to that I was wrong. Conrad is getting consideration for Defender of the Year (taken his game to another level). I keep thinking of the last game against KC where Conrad cleared a cross from a hard charging Ching. It was a great play. A couple of years ago, he would have put the ball in the back of the net.

Also, Alvarez (although still young) has not progressed this year as far as I would have liked him. Conrad would have been much more valuable to us even at some additional cost.

As of this moment, I forever remove the tag, "Son of Doyle", from you.

<NOTE>For the playoffs, tt's might hope that Conrad will revert back to his old form of one dumb mistake per game!</NOTE>

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jimmy was my favorite quake and it was sad to see him go. I'm lovin' his success in K.C., though. too bad in this upcoming series he's gonna be Landon's whipping boy.

3. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really ? I always thought JC was solid in defense. I was sad to see him go. When he came back from Poland he seemed to have brought his game up a bit.

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he did get a bit of a boost after he saw Miss Lech Poznan in person.

5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jimmy has the cover story in the latest issue of the national AYSO magaazine (sent to all AY families). NIce little tidbits about his six younger brothers and sisters, and the fact that his favorite tv show is Sponge Bob.

I never understood why he left, as he always seemed the consummate defensive player. I'm sure it's not because I used to scream at him so loudly during games...JIMMMMMEEEEEEEEEE. (We need more players whose names end in vowels.)

6. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000

7. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    You know, this is a case where I think the trade worked out for the player. The trade was added motivation for him to improve, and I think Bob Gansler has helped. And Jimmy was on the edge of good when he left-too many bad fouls and occasional lapses. And way too many yellow cards.

In retrospect it may look like a questionable trade, but it might not if Eddie Robinson had remained healthy.

8. zfan

zfan New Member

Jun 25, 2000
    San Jose
    Apropros of nothing at all here is some recent pearls from JC :

http://www.soccer365.com/_365_Interviews/page_123_83215.shtml

WWJD ?

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think that Yallop really liked Jimmy. He certainly gave him plenty of minutes. I don't know this for sure, but I suspect that Conrad was traded "by accident".

Here's what I think happened:

Cannon and Barrett were both seeking big raises. Conrad was pulling down a decent salary (since he was a semi-veteran). Yallop saw Conrad more as a centerback then a right back (because of Jimmy's limited offensive skills) and figured that Robinson was "ready". It was a gamble on Yallop's part that trading away Conrad would free up enough cap space to get either Cannon or Barrett to re-sign. I think Yallop was shocked that BOTH left for Europe. Since he had to dump cap before offering a raise to either one, he was left without all three players.

10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It is Lyndsey. Let's see, what else. He puts on his left shinguard, sock, and shoe before starting on the right, and he has a tuna sandwich six hours before a game. He puts mustard instead of mayonnaise in the sandwich but "my teammates already think I'm out there because I'm from California." His career ambition is to be a math teacher, and "that's what I'll end up doing, eventually."

Plus there's a lot of stuff about how wonderful AYSO is, but I kinda skimmed that.

11. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Conrad is a good defender, no doubt about it!

I think the comment about the trade being good for him is accurate.

BTW, you either love him or hate him, but I think Sponge Bob rocks! (My kids got me a pair of Sponge Boxer shorts for Father's Day...I wear em' every Friday along with my Quake's t-shirts!!!!)

WE'RE TAKIN' DOWN K.C.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    losing COnrad hurt, but the MLS structure forces championship sides to be disbanded eventually....and unfortuantely fro him, Conrad has tagged....

as noted with Barrett & Cannon, with hindsight, Conrad would have stayed with the side....

I am really looking forward to watching LD & Co torch Conrad...

GO QUAKES!

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest memory of Conrad was when his suspension was postponed so that he could play in front of his stepfather, the last game that the father could see Jimmy in.
    Jimmy should still be torched, though--mercilessly.

14. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Evene though I like Alvarez a lot, I made a big stink about trading Jimmy for oh, a year or two, you may recall :) It was stupid.

However, I will admit that the trade seems to have helped him take his game to the next level.

He never really came back from his injury when he was here. I think he was one of those guys Frank loved, then lost confidence in. That particular shed was pretty cold for the likes of Ibsen, Dunivant, Conrad and I'm sure y'all could think of others.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    After Landon torched Jimmy during the August 14th game, Gansler benched Shavar Thomas and moved Nick Garcia back into the middle. Nick, arguably the best man marker in MLS, will be the one watching Landon, Conrad will only be offering cover as he'll be busy with Ching.

16. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

IMO if anybody should be in the coal shed it's Eddie Robinson. It's sad that he's always injured, and he has some great games, but he's so hot and cold I have no confidence in him and think he's totally overrated.

17. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

Landon will torch Nick Garcia. I like that matchup a lot.

If Nicky wants to cope, he'll have to kick Landon. And that'll be just what we need to fire Landon up.

Nick's a great middle tier defender who can't seem to raise his game to match top-shelf attackers. And I am talking out my blowhole.

18. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I've always thought Nick's a w@nker...and have never liked his game. He's a big time hack. (Guess my biggest issue is he reminds me of my game :eek: )