Conor Casey's injury

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Malaga CF fan, Jul 14, 2005.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Haven't seen Conor much but he's never come even close to impressing me. As he's been gainfully employed as a forward in Germany, someone else disagrees :).

Regardless, I thought it would be a good move to bring him to the Rapids. At the very least I'm guessing he would be a suitable replacement for Pedro and could be the basis for a good marketing campaign. Now he's hurt. I think the Rapids should wait until he's played again for a while (few months?) before attempting to bring him in.

I like JOB but was concerned about his injuries. He's looked pretty decent in the Gold Cup and wouldn't mind seeing him running around Invesco in black and blue.

2. Chung'sleftboot

Chung'sleftboot New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Exactly!!

A creative, hard working midfielder!

Besides, if he has to have a ACL reconstuction that will be at least a year if it works.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he regains his form after this injury he would be a great compliment to Cunningham. He's a big forward who can hold the ball up and distribute to others. I'd love to see him on the Rapids. I don't think this injury is the end of his career in any way. It keeps him from helping us this year, but next is another story.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. miguel

miguel Member

Nov 26, 1998
    Bonji.... after watching the first half of the KC vs RSL game last night, I've got to agree with you that Clint Mathis is not the solution for the Rapids midfield. I think John Ellinger pulled him out of the match early in the second half because of his ineffctive play.

IMHO...Clint is a bit of a head case when he plays without support. He and Kries should have been scoring a lot of goals for Salt Lake this season, with the talent they have in their midfield, but they are not..... Clint has always had great potential, but for some unknown reason, he just can't get his act together and he never seems to play with consistency, ie. during hsi time with the Metro Stars, and with the Nat's, and even in his tour in Germany. We all saw him score great goals from his powerful strikes and from set pieces, but then his head gets a size or two larger, and he always seems to open his mouth, when he should keep it shut. That doesn't seem to endear him to his coaches.

Frankly, I'm very surprised that Clint isn't playing better for Ellinger, who is a coach he really likes and respects from his under 20 playing days. Let's just hope that FC finds us some midfielders like that Serbian who was mentioned in another post. Maybe Bora still has friends in the Serbian soccer community that can spot talent and pass it along to FC...You gotta keep the faith....

6. Chung'sleftboot

Chung'sleftboot New Member

Apr 3, 2004
  7. matthiaspro

matthiaspro New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    Donovan, Bundesliga, Casey, Rapids mid, JOB

LA Galaxy got no gift from MLS in acquiring Landon Donovan. You may recall that they had to move Carlos Ruiz, an impact player himself, to Dallas in order to land Donovan.

And yes, both Donovan and Clint Mathis fizzled out of Germany. But how about Steve Cherundolo and Gregg Berhalter, the Energie Cottbus captain What about Kasey Keller for Mönchengladbach?

Conor Casey hasn't done too much with Mainz, but he was a club record transfer signing, and he's only been there a year. Based on these two points, and that he's young, I'd be very surprised if they let him come to MLS. He would be a nice fit for the the Rapids though, as he calls Colorado home. But, if he were to come here, I wouldn't lean on him to partner with Cunningham until his knee's fully healed.

On that note, Luchi-Peguero-Harris just isn't getting it done up top with Cunningham. Luchi is a sparkplug, but can't finish; Pedro has gotten as lazy as Maradona; and harris is past his prime. The Rapids need someone who can free space for Cunningham and can create some space for themself.

The midfield hasn't helped out much either. Denton, Beckerman, and Cullen shouldn't be playing near as much as they have been lately. Nkong has shown some good stuff but has been inconsistent. And Melamed is out of position in the midfield. There is no organization. Colorado need Pablo Mastroeni back to shore up the midfield and help take some weight off the other guys' shoulders. I like what Cooke has shown, and developmental player Marcus Sagastume from Air Force could surprise some people.

O'Brien would be a great fit with Colorado. Partner JOB and Pablo together and the Rapids may not have to rely on defense and goalkeeping every game. Remember who was supposed to partner with Pablo a couple years ago, Frenchman Gilles Grimandi? How was his Rapids career?

8. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Donovan, Bundesliga, Casey, Rapids mid, JOB

Good first post, newbie!!