Conor Casey's injury

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Malaga CF fan, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Casey going down with a torn ACL, I think his return to a Bundesliga side may be in doubt. He certainly has a couple of months of rehab ahead of him and may not even be ready to play much this coming Bundesliga season.

Do you think he'll try and make a move back to the MLS then? Given that he's probably wanting to make the World Cup '06 roster and isn't going to have much of an opportunity to play in the Bundesliga, at least at the early part of this season, doesn't a move to the MLS give him the best chance to show something to Bruce??

This could be the Rapids best opportunity to get him, although I would think they'll need to be pretty cautious with his knee injury. No Voodoo doctors, I hope...

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday's articles in the Post and Rocky about the Rapids player moves made it sound like Casey was already thinking of coming back to the States before the injury. If anything this injury keeps him in Germany longer.

3. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    You mean he can't go to Zizi's "tribal healer" or rely upon Adin Brown's scientologist? :)

I think that its becoming more and more likely through his poor play that Pedro may not be around next season for us. If Casey is ready to go by then, maybe its a good gamble.

But it would be nice to get a player NOT coming off a major injury. LA gets a gift from the sky in a healthy-in-his-prime Landon Donovan. We have to scrounge the scrap piles for guys who are either currently nursing or just getting over major injuries.

When is the league going to throw us a fish?

(yes, I realize that its possible that the seal known as KSE hasn't asked for a fish yet).

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is more probable that AEG still runs this league with an iron fist and until they're down to one team, smaller markets like Denver won't get any Landon gifts.

5. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    I really hope they don't go after him after this injury. If you look at the history of many players after repairing the ACL they aren't the same players as before. I'd rather take a change with a John O'Brien than a Conor Casey.

6. rockymtn_mike

rockymtn_mike New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Adams County, CO
    John O'Brien is my top choice (if he would come here)

Conor would be a nice pick up but that injury is scary to me.

7. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget about Casey, it's over...

JOB would be IDEAL in sitting Beckerman...

However, my first choice was His Mathisty when he left Hannover, and it still is...

Clint Mathis for Attacking Mid.

8. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After his performance for RSL?

I hate Mathis, and don't want him.

9. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take JOB in a heartbeat over Conor Casey, but that's beside the point.

My main purpose in asking was to assess whether Casey's injury makes him more or less likely to end up in the MLS (where he would probably wear a Rapids jersey.)

I am a little iffy on his injury as well, but that could possibly allow the Rapids to get him on the cheap, which would fit in very well to our current team philosophy. :(

10. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS should make a rule that if a player washes out of the Bundesliga, he is not allowed to sign with MLS. None of these guys has made a positive impact on the league and many end up on the "most overpaid" list.

This includes Donovan so far.

11. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    you're joking right? donovan has been great. you must not have seen any LA games where he played because he is definitely making a positive impact.

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you actually watch MLS, or just comment on it?

13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I watch. A lot. Just that the SJ game jaded me on Mr. Donovan.

14. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    that SJ game was the exception, not the rule. Donovan has been a major factor on the galaxy this season.

15. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Yeah the Galaxy look very different when Donovan is ont he field versus off the field. Good attacking flow (generally) versus ineptness (though a higher level than the Rapids level of ineptitude).

Regarding Casey, I would like to see him in the MLS but how well would he and Cunningham match up? Casey is about power and being a target forward but Jeff is about speed and taking on the defese. I would prefer to see another talented speedy forward paired with him as opposed to a power player. But is Casey decides to come to the MLS I hope Kronke makes a push for him.

16. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who does he have to get the ball to??? Seth Trembly??? Jason Kreis is a joke, always has been, always will be. I give you Roy Lassiter's second coming (spare the goals scored stat, we could look at jokes like Luis Hernandez too)...

JOB has still been trying to get his bearing in midfield for the US National team after being injured so long and playing on the backline for Ajax. I want someone who is ready to jump into the A-mid spot and control the game, be allowed to float with Pablo behind them and be a proven free-kick taker. If Cooke can do this, great. However, Clint Mathis is still the man. Who seems to do well in this city. He could also bring a much needed offensive swagger to a team that's been crying for it for about 4 years...

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heres some more fodder.

Rumor has it that RSL is interested in Conner Casey too.

18. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    why the hell would he want to go play for them?

19. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll depend on the allocation order. I've also read that Chicago, who are infront of the Rapids in the allocation line, are also interested in Casey. I think people feel he'll be like a Taylor Twellman; bringing previous good coaching and raw talent into a league where he can excel.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do watch MLS right?
    Yesterday's Dallas Burn can become Tomorrow's FC Dallas.
    Besides, maybe he wants to hang out with his buddy Mathis...
    ...If the check clears...

21. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Let FSL and the Fire have him ... we NEED A MIDFIELD. :mad:

22. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Yeah, and last time I checked, you guys SUCK.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duh. I am not debating that.
    I am saying players go to different teams for different reasons.
    Maybe RSL would pay him more than you guys.
    Maybe RSL tricks Fire out of their first allocation.

In any case, I have no idea what Casey wants. I just heard that RSL is interested in him.
    Just like you guys.

24. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Well, we probably have the benefit of him being from here. Plus, we should have money around to spend on him seeing how little we're paying players right now.

Nobody knows what he wants. Hell, he'll probably end up staying in Germany.

25. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And preferably, a guy who is not coming off a significant injury.