Conor Casey?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by United fury, Nov 11, 2009.

1. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    He's younger, slower and less technically proficient than Emilio -- what a deal. After reading that article, either Smith has lost the club or there are several locker room cancers that need to be excised -- and not brought to DCU.

3. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, I think he would make a nice partner in terms of size and brutality with a speedier second forward.

We'd have to get one of those first, however.

4. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casey is bigger than Emilio, stronger, has better feet, and was the league's second-leading scorer in 2009. He did more with far less service than Emilio did, and for much less money.

I'm not surprised that the players rebelled against a coach who believes that the height of soccer is embodied in the play of teams like Wycombe Reserves.

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    It's the former. Casey is but one in a long stretch of players, including Cooke, Guerrero, and Gomez, who have gone against Smith.

6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'd take him in a heart beat over emilio.

He can ACTUALLY dribble and shield with his big ass self, not to mention score pretty proficiently in MLS, which = win. Oh yea, head well on crosses, and semes to work well with the ball on the gruond via through passes.

Also there is rumors that Robbie Rogers may be left unprotected in the expansion draft..... how does that work? Excuse my lack of understanding, but is there any chance we could get him?

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
  8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    We aren't what you would call a crossing team, so that negates his strongest quality.
    Not unless we trade for him. However, he wants to bolt back to Europe, as his contract with the Crew is up.

And that, of course, reminds me of how we got screwed out of acquiring him in the first place. :(

9. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm not sure Casey would do much better than Emilio. United hasn't had a good crosser of the ball in over a decade, which would help take advantage of Casey's best attribute, his height. I think he's a good player but not for this team, unless we change our tactics.

10. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He is good at dribbling, is faster than emilio, and heading isnt his only forte'.

He is very very good with ihs feet dribbling wise, step overs, trapping, etc. Better than emilio, and i would welcome him here with open arms over. Emilio.

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    And I would still pass, as I'd rather get a speedy forward with touch and skill.

12. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yes. Of course, you would. Who wouldn't?

13. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Bolivianfuego?

14. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)

I guess I meant that we'd all go for higher-quality forwards, but we're limited by money, aren't we?

If that's not an issue, I'll take Torres.

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    My point was that the money that some (okay, one person) might want to spend on Casey would be better spent on a player that fits in with our current attacking scheme (even if some of those players aren't going to be here next year).

Or, as I originally said, why get Casey if we don't have players that fit his strength?

16. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I would take Connor Casey in a heartbeat (a combination of Casey and Pontius up top would create all kinds of chaos for other teams).

While DC United has not, for the most part, been a crossing team, that may have been out of necessity (DC United did not really have a finisher who could score header goals from crosses). This year, I saw more crosses than in previous years, probably due to the fact that Pontius was playing up top some.

While eveyone would like a "speedy forward with touch and skill", it is not like there are many to be had.

And how a mediocre coach like Smith "we need better players" (after having chased away some decent players) is still coaching is beyond me.

MLS needs to hire more ex-players, some of which are assistant coaches right now, as they could not do any worse than some of the clowns that are currently coaching.

17. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take Casey in a second. I agree we aren't a "crossing team" but thats because
    a) we have over the last few seasons put guys on the wing who are not wingers and
    b) we haven't had anyone to cross the ball in to

The guys we've put out there I think can probably cross the ball decently, if they were in any way inclined to do so. And Casey is a guy who will fight for the ball so you the cross doesn't have to be perfect.

Pontius has already shown he can get up for a header. If you were to pair him with Casey you'd have two targets who can each head the ball on goal, down to runnings mids, hold the ball with back to goal, and take on players 1v1. I don't see how that is a bad thing (unless he's a locker room cancer or something). Especially since you would probably dump Emelio you would also be saving money too.

18. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    A guy who scores goals who doesn't cost max salary.....yeah we should jump on that. We could always still get a speedy forward to pair up with him.

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^Exactly!!!

I mean I would love to have a DP central forward, but Casey is below DP pay and gets the job done in MLS. IMO is better than emilio, what else can i say?

We could use that DP money on a good midfielder to give good service to casey up front.

20. CrimsonChin00

CrimsonChin00 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets get a productive CAM first.

21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^I gave my list of DPs. :p

22. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    I think it's a fallacy to say we should get him because he's better than Emilio for less money. The world is full of strikers who are better than Emilo for less money. Emilio's effectively already gone. The question is, is Casey better than who you could get by scouting/importing a new player to the league. (and, BTW, remember that Casey's "cost" isn't just his cap number, it's also what we'd have to trade to Colorado to get him.)

23. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I mean he isnt on my wish list, but if he were to come here, i wouldnt be sad/angry about it.

I am sure our FO is looking at bringing in a good CF, hopefully for a tad' under DP money, as there are many good forwards out there.

24. Sockey

Sockey Member

Jan 13, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roman Pavlyuchenko is on his way out of Tottenham...

25. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take him. Put him up top with pontius. Tino can serve up some beautiful passes, and if we're going to keep burch where he is then I'd like someone who could actually use those long balls that he constantly puts up. Even if he doesn't score at the same clip, he's still very good in possession and can flick balls on/hold up play and pass to on-rushing teammates.