Connolly: Second Guessing

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Soccerholic, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Second Guessing

In this article, Marc Connolly rates the Rapids as the least exciting team in MLS.

"No respect. I tell you, I can't get no respect."

2. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Booo on Connolly. He's knocked us at every turn thus far. Let's see what happens on the field, though.

3. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the hell can anyone rate behind KC on the excite-o-meter?

He did says that you guys "go up a couple points" when Beckerman and Carrierri are out there.

4. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    NO ONE LIKES US AND WE DON'T CARE!!!

Not only do the soccer pundits predict we'll suck (based on this brain trust, I am actually reassured) but we'll be boring along the way. Does anyone know who we can email or send this tripe to the players? I hope they read this so they can get a nice laugh, too.

5. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Given the pourous Rapids defense over the years, I've never understood how opponents and neutrals can consider the Rapids "boring."

If nothing else, at most Rapids games you're guaranteed more than the average total goals.

6. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I want to know WHY dc united gets respect . IMO they aren't nearly as good as the teams in the west!

7. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    With DC, the world will be watching to see how many players Hristo maims this season. It will be a fascinating spectacle.

8. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    I agree with you Greenie. I don't know how the pundits can say that Colorado's defense is porous AND their offense is boring. If that was the case, the Rapids would be far and away the worst team in the league. I guess nobody bothered to notice that the Rapids scored a bunch of goals and only gave up a few in the pre-season. And most of those games were without Gilles, not to mention Spencer, Pablo, and Carrieri missed quite a few. Plus, the Rapids finished with the 4th best record in the league last year and they added Schmidt and Zizi. Sure, they lost Carlos, but we all know that he had as many minuses as pluses, if not more.

Rant over. Looks like the Rapids will have to prove on the field to the rest of the league that they have been underestimated. Again.

9. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think journalists are taking too much into account the fact that Carlos is gone? That we need a #10? I know that has been a problem in the past for us, but we haven't finished bottom of the league because of it. With the cast we have right now, to put us down near the bottom is an insult. Call it east coast bias, whatever....

Can't wait to prove the league wrong.

10. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    read the fine print

Connolly wasn't ranking teams in predicted order of finish - he was rating them based on how interesting they'd be to watch.

Big difference. For example, Mexico plays a lot more attractive soccer than the US, and may be more fun to watch, but you know who came out on top . . .

I think that losing Valderrama means that the Rapids have no well known personality on the team, and few players who really dazzle us with skill (even if just occasionally, such as the fading Etcheverry with DC).

11. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: read the fine print

I realize that, but Connolly also picked Colorado to finish dead last in the west in another column. I was referring to that as well.

Personally, not looking for dazzlers, just good players and and an overall strong team, which I believe we have.

12. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    I definitely think that journalists are overestimating Carlos' value to the team. We have a midfield where everybody can distribute well and I think we will have a diverse and entertaining offense.