Connolly: Eskandarian takes chances

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by sch2383, Oct 27, 2004.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Connolly with a great write up on Esky and everything he has had to deal with in his first two season in MLS.

2. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    This piece gives us great insight into the player. Well done Connelly. Even better, well done Esky for getting past the promise of your play and making it happen. What a great season you have had and we look forward to many more for DCU. Go kick some Metroscum ass this weekend.

3. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only does it rhyme, but the syllables match.

4. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    I love Esky this year! Jersey boy that's now all DC, through and through!

That draft pick looks pretty damn good about now!

5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I was really, really down on the guy last year, and for a chunk of this year early in may/june. Looking at the guys we could have had (though Stokes is the one that really draws the ire), just frustrated, wondered if his lack of speed would just lower the ceiling of his potential but he really won me over. What he lacks in speed he definitely makes up for in desire, dedication, confidence, and deadly finishing skills. He, Moreno, Nowak and Nelson more than anyone strike me as exactly why this team finds itself in such an excellent position right now.

6. I would add Olsen to your list, he has had a great year

7. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Gomez has also done more than just show promise. And Namoff has been an absolute rock--I think (only because of his steadyness and Nelson's injuries) that he deserved the defender of the year award.

Dema also has the often overlooked tied-for-2nd-in-the-league 10 assists.

8. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Actually, I'm just loving 'em all right now, so disregard my ejaculations...

9. Wheezy

Wheezy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    NoVa
    Yeah, last year I was poking pencils in my eyeballs to overcome the maddness that we could have had Damani Ralph instead of Esky. This year Esky's 10 goals (and playoffs) look pretty good next to Ralph's 11 (and playing shuffleboard).

10. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    I believe you could have had Damani instead of stokes too :)

11. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)

DC could have had Damania Ralph instead of Eskandarian, Stokes, Brian Carrol or Doug Warren. All four were selected before him. And as the article indicates, and the grandparent to this post said, it comes down to the coaching. Hudson just didn't know how to develop players and win at the same time. Who knows. Eskandarian could have been Rookie of the Year had he had the right coaching.

In all fairness though, DC drafted like a team should. Patched up holes and didn't stack in a position where they didn't need it.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't give up Esky for any forward in MLS.

13. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed. Left footed strikers are a commidity..simply because of the mistakes they can produce in defenders (see parke, last week at the swamp)..and beyond that his set peices are awesome, and he seems to have aquired a killer instinct in front of the net. Esky is great!

14. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Every team could have had Damani Ralph well before Chicago picked him. For a number of reasons, including the fact that it was unknown whether or not he would even sign with the league, every team passed on him at least once, some multiple times.

In other words, the point is moot, every team made the decision for a reason, so there's no reason to discuss it.

15. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Actually including the playoffs, he's got 11.

16. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Yeah, but Damani almost got a perfect score in a shuffleboard game last Saturday!