Connelly: Crew ready for playoff push

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FlashMan, Sep 10, 2003.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously no one much cares about the Crew, this thread had zero action all day. I don't much care about the Crew either, but one pretty decent team in the East is going to be left out of the playoffs.

My favorite part of the column was with Peter "Catch-Punch" Hirdt. Man, he loves that stat. He must have been a goalie.

Pretty cool his dad in the German-American League - though John Wolnyiec is an odd looking fellow - something about his eyes.

3. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    1) It's interesting that DC and probably to a much lesser extent the Mstars are in a similar boat -- injuries to key players have either been absorbed are have run their course.

The East playoff race is going to be pretty insane... Unless someone finds a way to simply fold, ala Burn. (which seems highly unlikely. Hell, even the Burn will sneak 2 or 3 more wins, IMO).

2) All that said, I remember pretty well how good that Crew team of April looked. Downright scary. The worst loss DC suffered this year came @ Columbus (a 3-0) loss that probably wasn't even that close. When they put it all together, they're a quality side with a number of weapons.

3) How many of us would say almost the exact same thing about where they were when JOB scored that goal. :)

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Or most people that care about the Crew have already been saying what Connolly said in this article for the past two weeks or so.

5. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Four of the next five matches away can put a serious damper on your comeback.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think a the key match is the New England match. Granted, ya gotta go one match at a time, but I am counting on 3 points against Dallas. Combine that with the Revs dropping two points or the full three vs Metros and the Crew has breathing room going into the match vs New England. And a win v New England at the end of the month could set them up nice going into the last month, which with games just against Chicago and DC will be murder.

7. fluidsoccer

fluidsoccer New Member

Jun 4, 2003
    Chicago
    Isn't their home record worse than their away record?

8. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    [​IMG]

9. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Nope. We just dropped points at home instead of holding on for the win due to poor tactical decisions by the coach. True story.

10. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Excuse me, but this is a Mathis thread.

11. fluidsoccer

fluidsoccer New Member

Jun 4, 2003
    Chicago
    So what are you saying? (besides that Andrulis is a dipsh!t, which we've all pretty much figured.)