Conmebol u-20 Women's Championship

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by jagum, Dec 17, 2017.

1. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Lechus7 repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And now another three games for all those teams, this is a marathon not a football competition really. I wonder if Brazil and Venezuela will rest players for thier final game.

blissett and jagum repped this.
  3. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Group A latest results :

Paraguay 3-0 Argentina
    Ecuador 2-0 Peru

Lechus7 repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So Venezuela made it, although with the minimal score, despite Chilean effort. Who did score? Usual Castellanos? :cautious:

5. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Colombia and Venezuela as I wrote in one of my first post had the most difficult schedule without a resting day. Now the marathon continues and fortunately Colombia and Venezuela will have more day off than Brazil and Paraguay.

Remember today the last day of group B will still be played

Brazil - Bolivia
    Chile - Uruguay

blissett repped this.
  6. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Deyna as usual ! ;)

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's incredible: they could end qualifying for the World Cup basically on the back of the awesome talent of this girl alone! :notworthy:

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Agreed on the attacking side, on the defensive side, the other players should also get some credit ;)

jagum and blissett repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It was of course an hyperbole. Let's translate it in: "I am super-impressed by this player!"

10. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    It is the same pace at which male youth qualifiers are played in Conmebol+Concacaf: one-day rest between matches.

In female tournaments, only the host federation and Brazil get to rest after their 3rd match. An unspoken rule imposed by Conmebol.

Yesterday, Paraguay fielded some main players in a meaningless game against Argentina. Paraguayan star forward Jessica Martínez got a straight red for fighting after that match.

Martínez won't play against Venezuela, possibly neither against Colombia. She scored 4 goals against Colombia during the group phase.

shlj, jagum and blissett repped this.
  11. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Ran a cross-check between U17+U20 2016 and U20 2018 rosters, for the finalists.

How many players were promoted from U17 2016 to U20 2018?
    - Brazil promoted 10 players (dropped 12).
    - Colombia promoted 4 players (dropped 18).
    - Paraguay promoted 11 players (dropped 11).
    - Venezuela promoted 12 players (dropped 10).

How many players were called back from U20 2016 World Cup?
    - Brazil called back 3 players.
    - Venezuela called back 4 players (actually 6, but 2 were in U17 2016 too).

What does it all mean?
    I don't know. Just looking for obvious trends on how those teams have progressed over time.

The Colombia U20 program bet on a brand new generation. It will be very interesting if it eliminates 2 of 3 experienced rosters.

Too bad Paraguay won't be at full strength for matches against Venezuela and Colombia. It skews true competition levels.

I am hoping that no more red cards will be awarded.

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The final four group stage is now set with match day and time as well.
    Games on 25,28 and 31 of January. Paraguay, Venezuela, Brazil and Colombia fighting for two places at the WC.

13. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #38 Lechus7, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Semifinal 1
    Paraguay 3 - 0 Venezuela HT
    (Sandoval 35', Sanchez 38' 45')

It's look like Deyna Castellanos will miss France this year. Football it's still a team game, having one or two (Castellanos&Moreno) outstanding players isn't enough.

14. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Didn't notice at first but it's actually another group affair with tickets to France for best two teams. Venezuela still with some chances, though I don't see them winning with Brazil.

Paraguay 3 - 1 Venezuela
    (Sandoval 35', Sanchez 38', Chamorro 44' - Castellanos 66')

Brazil 4 - 0 Colombia
    (Isabella 40', Kerolin 45', Brenda 51', Geyse 70')

15. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  16. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    And, Deyna Castellanos was in agreement with the dismissal of coach Zseremeta. Castellanos said that Zseremeta's proyect with the national youth team had run its course, while praising his past achievements.
    http://www.panorama.com.ve/futbol/D...eremeta-tendra-sus-motivos-20171129-0030.html

Castellanos went on to congratulate the Venezuelan federation for its preparation plans prior to the Conmebol U-20 competition.

Reality is that the Venezuela U-20 team was already in trouble months ago:
    - Ended up last in a hybrid tournament between clubs and youth teams (September 2017, led by Zseremeta).
    http://www.federacionvenezolanadefu...vinotinto-sub-17-celebraron-en-la-copa-pdvsa/

- Ended up 3rd in a regional tournament played with: Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, and Perú. Venezuela managed to score against Bolivia (4g) and Colombia (1g) (November 2017, led by Zseremeta).
    https://www.juegosbolivarianos2017.com/equipo/equipo/321764

Credit should be given to both Brazil and Paraguay, who are playing at extraordinary levels. Hopefully, they won't disappoint during the U-20 World Cup.

blissett repped this.
  17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Out of three continental U-20 tournaments seen by me so far, I'd say only Brazil and perhaps Mexico can be of challange to big fav's Japan and North Korea. Canada has potential as well but they need to do some work on their combination play first. UEFA championship is late in July, then we will see who else is there in the mix.

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, from outside I can't say absolutely anything, nor I know what part of reason Zseremeta had in his observations. What I can say it's that it's anyway a shame that he had to part ways with the team, because what he had created at U-17 WWC 2014 in Costarica had been absolutely brilliant and that group of players looked like it was destined to a very bright future (it wasn't Castellanos only, indeed, despite my praise for her).

Disclaimer: I am aware that what follows is just unsubstanced speculation from me, but, by reading what Zseremeta and Castellanos supposedly said about the subject, I am more inclined to believe Zseremeta: the awful economic crisis in Venezuela, alas, make his observation that many players were malnourished very realistic and I can understand his demand that they get at least enough food in exchange for their sport effort. While I admire Castellanos, I have to wonder if living and playing soccer in USA didn't have her somehow lose a little of the pulse of the situation in her home-country.

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The five UEFA teams that have qualified are ok, but not exceptional.

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  20. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Indeed, Zseremeta's dismissal was political. But he should have known better: he blamed malnutrition to explain away sustained losses, after a 2nd friendly tournament on November 2017. Venezuelan politicians would not have Zseremeta do it again, if the U-20 team failed in Ecuador 2018.

Having said that, malnutrition does not explain certain events. Both Venezuelan youth squads face same nutrition difficulties, but somehow the U-17 squad outperformed the U-20 team: September 2017, friendly tourney between 2 local clubs and both Venezuelan youth squads; U-20 team finished dead last, drew with a penalty kick with U-17 squad, lost on penalty round to U-17 squad.

It is a team sport, and should not rely on individual figures. No star player/coach can send a national team to the World Cup, if rest of teammates do not step up.

I just hope Venezuelan media stop lionizing Castellanos. U-20 qualification is not her birthright.

jagum and blissett repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks, @bigsoccertst1: your post is just the kind of well-informed and accurate report of events that I needed and that I was looking for, when I made my shot in the dark from outside. :thumbsup:

bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  22. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Brazil 5-0 Venezuela

We will never know how Venezuela would have played under coach Zseremeta in this sub-20 ...There will always be among us a " what if "..... We expected the girls to give us some joy in the middle of the difficult situation that the country is experiencing ...But it does not matter if a battle was lost, there is still a long way to go: there is still the 2019 World Cup, and we hope that all the missing pieces can be geared. Gabriela Garcia and Deyna Castellanos make a fantastic pair !
    and finally about Deyna and her position on Zseremeta : it was rather a neutral position, if she had protested its exclusion, the environment would have been more tense than expected. Especially in a country with so many human rights violations and knowing that you have family there that you could endanger with your statements. She herself once said that she represents a single nation, not a party or political group.

At the end of the day when a technical director is dismissed even if the players complain, the federation will always have the last word......

blissett repped this.
  23. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Paraguay 4-2 Colombia

Brazil and Paraguay booked a ticket to France 2018 Congratulations ! and on January 31 we will know who will be the champion of South America

bigsoccertst1 and blissett repped this.