CONMEBOL: The door is open for MLS teams to play in Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by Manolo, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea, that game was fun to watch (only saw the highlights though) ! Sadly I had to listen to it by radio, as I was at college. :( (Im a DCU fan BTW)

They had to replace the MLS team I believe because of some conflict with schedules or something, it would have been DCU again but I think concacaf took it away from them.... I forget why though!!

Also, with teh copa sudamericana... didnt they make it only south american sides from now on?

Also, what were the star players that year on that Catolica team? I dont remember, think you can help me out?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10DpZwuz8b8"]YouTube - universidad catolica vs dc united sudamericana 2005[/ame]

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    for now they are only considering copa libertadores....

1 or 2 teams? early stages or mix with the 1st rounf grps? No one knows

that is another problem.....colombia #3 as well as ecuador or venezuela and Peru or chile #3 have to play repechajes with brazil #5 or argentina #4 (not sure on that#)

do MLsers enter like mexicans without repechajes? PARITY SENORES, BEFORE TV CONTRACTS.

3. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't think mls, if they are allowed to enter, deserve automatic spots. And while it is smart for conmebol to want to enter the potential market, it will not transform automatically into more revenue, because the mls does not have a big following.

4. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Telenovelas

5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Football/soccer is part of our common culture too, and in it, we`ve shared joys and sorrow since the begining.:)

6. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    After that season, Mexican clubs still competed and I remember Costa Rica sending over a team. Mexican clubs declined to play this year due to some agreement with CONMEBOL after the H1N1 situation.

As for players, Conca went on to play for Fluminense & was instrumental when they appeared in the Libertadores final losing out to Liga in the end. Fuenzalida who gets called up by Bielsa alot and now plays for Colo Colo, was really young back then. Catolica had a decent team, they didn't really pack any big name players.

7. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dario Conca!! Thats the name i was looking for! I remember thinking I wouldnt mind seeing him play for DCU sometime in the future.

Thanks for the info though dude!

But yea, maybe MLS teams can get a spot back in sudamericana? I mean that tourney is always changing anways. Wouldnt surprise me, as a 'stepping stone' closer to playing in the libertadores.

8. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    it's all fun and games until someone's branded a doofus, y'all.:mad:

:D

9. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Another well entrenched tradition shared by Brazil and Mexico:

National team player - Tranny love

... not that there is anything wrong with that

10. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    they already enter that market via FOX sports with mexie teams in libertadores....

10 milion mexies on the look, I wonder how that changes when america and chivas are in lower side of the standings? the market they want is the seattle and galaxy or red bull fan base. (not sure how big that is? 100 thou.?)

I still trying to get a flight from la paz to salt lake:D

in cold march/april?!!!!

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea, thats a PITA.

Many of the rich owners though may be willing to rent a plane just for it. Its happened before.....

12. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

This is what the 5th time such a story shows up, it seems one of these pops up once in a while.

That and it should NEVER happen.

13. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Also these kind of articles popping up here and there shouldn't be a surprise, and how real they're is to be debated, don't forget the relatively recent thread about Mexico being in negotiations(what's there to negotiate?:confused:) hosting Copa América in 2013, when it's long known that after 2011 the following Copa América will be in 2011, or when a Copa América 2009 was brought up again when it was known that after 2007 it was going to be in 2011 and in Argentina. Also don't forget that around 3 years ago CONMEBOL cited that after the forbid of CONCACAF to certain teams to be invitees to the Sudamericana due CONCACAF duties, they claimed they were interested to invitee a MLS side however there were complications with visas and whatnot(nowadays it's also the other way around since US citizens require a visa to enter Brazil for example), it was on their old site even.

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Andrés_ , I aprove your post, as it is very complete over certain issues, but, I would also like to add that despite Mr. Leoz, being the president of CONMEBOL, it doesn`t mean that he is magnanimous in his decissions. He may have millions of ideas or projects in his head, but if it attains CONMEBOL, there is comitee who will decide if a project gets or doesn`t get green light. Also due to his high position he must have a very diplomatic attitude, and sometimes he talks about his projects or ideas, which not necessarily are projects that have green light within CONMEBOL, so anything he says must be studied carefully before making such a big deal of it, as it could be only a thought of what he would like to do, but hasn`t been aproved by CONMEBOL.

I`ve searched in all the pages of CONMEBOL, and I still can`t find anything related to this open doors for MLS teams in Copa Libertadores. I think that somebody over dimensioned, one of his thoughts on this one.;)

15. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    You must've missed the part where an Inter fan ran on the field and assaulted a Chivas player. An incident that was recorded by the ref and the notes passed on to CONMEBOL.

16. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Fans behaviour is one thing, my friend. Not even comparable to players behaviour, which is another completely diferent issue.

If some fans behave bad, although it`s not acceptable, it is more easy to understand and in some way empathize with it, as these kind of "shows" can be seen everywhere round the world, by all kinds of fans. But when players behave incorrect or start making lousy accusations, they are stimulating an odd behaviour by their fan base, which is irresponsible and proper of an unsporting behaviour which by no way can be acceptable or even understood.

It`s their behaviour (players and team officials), the one, which I condemn harshly, and the kind of behaviour I don`t want to see in a CONMEBOL tournament, and least of all, by a "guest" who doesn`t knows or even understand their condition of being a guest and how they must behave.
    ;)

In the case of your example of an Inter fan, although completely wrong, at least he belongs to CONMEBOL and isn`t a "guest" here. We can deal with our own garbage and punish them properly if they deserve it.

17. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    A fan who runs onto the field and assaults a player is a pretty big deal I'd say.

What accusations are you referring to? The incident I was talking about occured after the game was over, a game which Inter won convincingly.

An incident which happened right in front of the ref.

An Inter fan, wearing an Inter jersey, assaults a Chivas player then runs into the crowd and when a Chivas player confronts him, the Inter players started throwing punches. After the fact, the Inter players said they thought Reynoso had attacked one of their fellow teammates which is why they reacted the way they did.

Being a guest isn't a pre-requisite to allow opposing fans to attack your players and that's some ridiculously lopsided logic you're employing since Chivas earned their ticket to the final on the field by beating other teams.

Besides, there are certain requirements that the Mexican FA has to meet to able to participate in CONMEBOL tournaments, both off and on the field, and turning the other cheek when you're assaulted ain't one of them.

This is the most ass backward way of looking at things.

You're also forgetting the fact that the Inter management started the whole fiasco by disrespecting the Mexican national anthem which lead Bautista to disrespect the Brazilian national anthem which lead to the fans on the stands voicing their displeasure which in turn lead to players on the field being to aggressive. It was a snowball effect and I know it's easier for you to point the finger at the "guests" but the facts say otherwise. If you want to keep pretending that things happened differently, that's your problem.

18. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Playing the anthems just served right to keep up with the whole circus the organization caused on the first leg, they didn't even play the right thing, instead of the Libertadores anthem they played the Fair Play one, CONMEBOL wasn't happy with that. Playing the anthems is absurd for club matches.

19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You know something, you are right. Lets avoid us all, such a sorrow show. No more Mexican teams in Copa Libertadores. Easy solution.
    :rolleyes:

On our CONMEBOL way of thinking, Football starts within the pitch and from there to the surroundings and fans. While as it seems, with all your arguments, for Mexico, Football starts outside of the pitch , where fans and nations are much more important than what actually happens in the field.

With diferent ways of viewing this game, we will never be able to understand each other, so lets get things as they were in the begining, as I said before, no more Mexican teams in Copa Libertadores. Maybe MLS teams will behave properly and learn from us what we think about this game, and not what is thought about it, in Mexico.
    At least not with OUR tournament : Copa Libertadores
    :p

Btw, One thing I keep on wandering about :
    When two teams represent the same country, Should they play the National anthem twice, once for each team ?:D

20. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I didn't really wanted to say this, because everyone I've known from Chile (not that many) have been awesome people both in this board and in person, but in reality you don't matter. you personally have no saying in it, so stop your "we aren't inviting you no more" "you are just a guest" blah blah blah... Mexico, in its position as a "guest", is more important to conmebol than Chile, mainly due to its superior Market in Mexico and the U.S.

21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    For your knowledge, Chile together with Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil were the original founders of CONMEBOL. It all started with these 4 countries in South America. As time passed by, others, eventually joined in.

And despite of what you can think about it, Mexico is a guest here, nothing more than that, and has never joined in, in our Conference.
    ;)

22. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico makes more money than all those countries combined, so I would say we are more than a regular guests, and even Grondona acknowledged Mexico's special status.;)

23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    As I said before to a US-american poster, than go ahead and organize and do yourself your own Copa Libertadores style tournament, and do with it what ever you please as it is yours, and leave this Copa America to ourselves, in CONMEBOL, as how we want it to continue being for our own interest, the famous and world wide recognized "Copa Libertadores".

The fact is, that without the teams from CONMEBOL as regular participating teams, any tournament you could organize in a regular status, would be a small miniaturization of this tournament or even a lesser status competition. Probably for Mexico`s teams, this is the most important tournament where they can participate within the whole world, besides the WC, and probably without it, your teams would fall back in their known past, almost inexistent existence in the world. You need this tournament, more than what we need out of you guys, in it. Without Mexico`s participation, this tournament would perfectly survive and continue its legacy within CONMEBOL. The same goes with all the tournaments we usually have within our Conference, we don`t really need Mexico to survive at all. Mexico is perfectly expendable for this concern. This is reality my friend.

Not what I would personally prefer, as what I would like is that guests take it with an honourable attitude towards the invitation status they`ve been granted and stop thinking that once they are here, they can change everything to their own personal interest and likings and try to force others to those changes and least of all, to think that they can say or do whatever they want to, to all of us here. My patience and acceptance in this aspect is very limited.

More than Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Chile, combined together ?
    .....:D
    Go and have your wet dreams back in your bed, bro.
    Mexico by anyone of these nations teams, is nothing more than ......
    (wake up, man). if it weren`t from the existence of our players in your teams, you`d be nothing. ZERO.

24. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Reading comprehension isn't one of your strongest qualities apparently seeing as how I clearly stated that Inter won the game convincingly on the pitch.

Everything else that happened was due to miscommunications and flaring tempers both on and off the field.

I completely understand those who don't want any sort of guests in CONMEBOL tournaments because frankly, CONMEBOL should prioritize the development of the sport in their own confederation before they try to maximize profits by inviting Mexican or American teams to participate.

However, that isn't the case and if you have a problem with the current format, you need to take it up with Leoz and de Luca instead of spouting the same tired old bullshit of "you're only a guest".

The simple fact that you're trying to excuse what happened during the return leg in Brasil by telling me we should suck it up simply because we're "guests" is all I needed to hear. I'll leave it at that since we won't really agree on much with regards to this topic.

Argentina and Brazil have certainly contributed to Mexico's progress and even Uruguay to a lesser extent but Chile?? ..... not so much..

Matter of fact, Chile has a losing record against Mexico and ever since Mexico began participating in Copa America, they have always finished the tournament ahead of Chile.

25. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    wrong again....

mexico is a good guess for business
    as japan is...even so far away! But, you also need to know that other guess of the past as USA or Hds y CR...NO need to make who makes more money remarks:eek: as in copa america

same for any other tourney that invites outsiders form other confederations.