CONMEBOL Copa America 2024

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by El Futbolisimo, Jun 20, 2024.

1. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, seeing Brazil get CONCACAF'd by Costa Rica. 0-0 draw.

JPAR, skydog, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    Costa Rica uses a 5-3-2 to line up against Brazil and manages to get a scoreless draw.
    That worked for one match, but if they do that in their next match against Colombia and get the same result, they'll need to beat Paraguay in order to have a chance at advancing out of the group.

El Futbolisimo, TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  3. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dang, sounds like I missed a master class of CONCACAF tom foolery

galvanator, skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  4. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    LOL, the great Brazil gets humbled by little Costa Rica 0-0. Yeah they parked the bus but its Brazil. I certainly thought it would be a nasty rout. Very surprised and they kept saying that CR coach had great experience and results making smaller teams competitive. I guess so. There were some iffy calls but being concacafed? I don't know about that.

Brazil vs Mexico in that friendly I thought not up to snuff but I thought no, it's just a friendly. Maybe they are just taking it easy prior to Copa but maybe there is something else going on there. Pretty young Brazil team also so...

The Ticos have to be going crazy right now.

TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  5. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Group Standings

Group A
    1. Argentina: 3 PTS (1-0-0)
    2. Peru: 1 PTS (0-1-0)
    2. Chile: 1 PTS (0-1-0)
    4. Canada: 0 PTS (0-0-1)

Group B
    1. Venezuela: 3 PTS (1-0-0)
    2. Mexico: 3 PTS (1-0-0)
    3. Jamaica: 0 PTS (0-0-1)
    4. Ecuador: 0 PTS (0-0-1)

Group C

1. Uruguay: 3 PTS (1-0-0)
    2. United States: 3 PTS (1-0-0)
    3. Bolivia: 0 PTS (0-0-1)
    4. Panama: 0 PTS (0-0-1)

Group D
    1. Colombia: 3 PTS (1-0-0)
    2. Brazil: 1 PTS (0-1-0)
    3. Costa Rica: 1 PTS (0-1-0)
    4. Paraguay: 0 PTS (0-0-1)

TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Some awful ref calls in favor of CR. Especially the clear pk that was not called.

Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  7. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    The call is at the two minute mark. That's a PK?

Dawdler repped this.
  8. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Besler somewhere "First Time?"
    [​IMG]

USA Fans "I've seen this before"
    [​IMG]

TrickHog repped this.
  9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I thought I read somewhere that the referees for this tourney were coming from UEFA…. But even if so the power of getting CONCACAFed is too strong for even Euro-dust fairy refs to overcome.

skydog, Bilgediver and Dawdler repped this.
  10. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    One pundit said that he would rather see Canada play to win against Argentina and get blown out than to go out and play cowardly against Brazil and eek out a point like Costa Rica did. We flipped the guy off symbolically and uttered a few special words.

Canada is in a group that they can qualify out of plus they have a stronger team. Costa Rica landed in group D for death! What the hell are they going to do? I think they'll be happy to go home with having tied the great Brazil. Colombia is playing strong so they probably not tying that one no matter how good their catenaccio is. Paraguay is their softest rival. They could try something there. Whatever happens they will remember this day for long time to come. They faced Brazil and told them, NOT THIS DAY!

download-12.jpg

Neubill, skydog, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  11. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

El Futbolisimo and TrickHog repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #62 skydog, Jun 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    In my opinion it is a clear foul. The defender isn’t playing the ball at all - he just just charges in and knocks the attacker over.

“But, shoulder-to-shoulder!”

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately because it comes up over and over. My understanding is that shoulder-to-shoulder originally meant a defender running alongside an attacker could use his body weight to lean-in and compete for the ball. However, recently it seems to have morphed into some refs allowing players to completely ignore the ball and just come in and knock the dribbler over, as long as he leads with the shoulder. I think allowing that reduces the game to rugby, or worse, that American game!

Informally in borderline cases my tests for a foul are twofold: a) is the guy playing the ball, or the man? b) if the action is allowed, does the guy being acted on have a realistic chance of playing normal soccer? So if a defender leans in shoulder-to-shoulder then a competent forward should be able to fend him off and maintain possession. No foul. But if the defender is allowed to take a running start and crash into the player then how the heck can a forward be expected to do his job? Foul!

Dr. Machnik disagreed with me so make of that what you will. Just giving my opinion.

TrickHog, natfaninla and MPNumber9 repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    PS - Even though they didn't score, Brazil played some damn beautiful soccer in that game. It was a pleasure to watch.

TrickHog, El Futbolisimo and MPNumber9 repped this.
  14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%. Perfect rationale too: huge advantage to me as a defender if I can just clatter the guy over shoulder-to-shoulder even if he has the ball on the inside away from me.

I've seen it go un-called, so I'm not too surprised, but definite PK for me.

skydog, TrickHog and natfaninla repped this.
  15. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Yeah, we agree here. Gorgeous, brutal wave after wave of attacks. From the left, from the right, frontal attacks, great crosses, dangerous through balls and individual charges. Impressive, ruthless bastards! Some teams would pace themselves for the knockout phase. Brazil does not know how to do this.

It makes what the Ticos did, that more impressive.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  16. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that Canada just doesn't have as much top to bottom talent as the US, but this Canada - Peru game is hard to watch

17. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was the lack of goals that forced their hand. If they had scored they prob would have played a with a bit less tension.

El Futbolisimo, skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We agree! Anyone know if there have been any extreme weather events down in Hades? :eek::D

El Futbolisimo repped this.
  19. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Well, the second round of matches are away in group A and...

Canada did the deed beating Peru 1-0 and getting their foot, leg and half a butt into the the next round. Still not a done deal but they have increased their chance by alot.

Argentina beats Chile late, late in the damn match 1-0 against a very feisty Chile that started to look very dangerous after the subs in the second half.

So after two matches each, Argentina has 6 points, Canada has 3 points and both Chile and Peru both still don't have two points to rub together. I think Argentina beat Peru so the deciding match for that second place finish in their group will be between the Canucks and Chile. That will be a hell of a game.

JPAR, galvanator, skydog and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    Let me begin by saying that I see your point of view on this subject. It is well stated.

What I'm about to write is not meant to refute your point of view, so keep this in mind as you read what I've written below.

I have always been a fan of the big bruiser, muscular target forward. One who:
    • will muscle his way to the ball by hell or high water, whether it is to bump off a hulking defender or to make space for himself in the 6 yard box for a header on goal.
    • will create hold-up play by standing in the 18-yard box while holding off a defender of an equally or larger muscular stature and control the ball that has just been passed to him with the chest-down technique, an approach that allows him to create a scoring opportunity by either:
      • passing the ball to an onrushing teammate
      • turning with the ball and placing a shot on goal
    I was rooting big time for Preston Judd to succeed when he was with us because I saw these exact qualities when he was with G2. Unfortunately, these qualities weren't evident when he played with the first team. :(

That stated, fútbol for me includes a forward being on the receiving end of some physical treatment from a defender. ...but we agree that it's not fútbol when a defender chooses to, as you wrote, "take a running start and crash into the player,..." instead of competing for possession of the ball.

TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't know if you are old enough to have watched Brian McBride play but if you are then you loved him. If not, then you would have. Nobody was tougher or more physical in the air than “McHead.” He also bled easily so he celebrated many a US goal with both a smile on his face & blood on his head!

Brian actually had to have a rib removed after one of his hard collisions while playing for Fulham. What a beast!

Bilgediver, TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  22. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm old enough to remember this guy, this guy made me really realize how fun it is to watch a bruising forward ply his craft.
    [​IMG]
    Eduardo "El Tanque" Hurtado

23. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only watched the US game and bits and pieces of other games but its quite amusing that these South American teams have been sucked into the vortex of CONCACAF Tom Foolery, the World Cup is going to be wild when it comes this way

24. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    What specifically are you referring to Dawd when you say tom foolery?

Dawdler repped this.
  25. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    missed PK's, the diving, the extracurricular activities, the bunkering, maybe I should call it payasadas since Mexico seems to be the main culprit :)