Congratulations

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by ! ! Who ?, Aug 27, 2011.

1. ! ! Who ?

! ! Who ? New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Marta's team wins ... now what? Next year...who buys Marta?

2. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    As long as they keep that collective, I see her staying. The only thing that may push her away from the States is all the blind hate she receives.

Congrats from me as well! I hope the organization can continue to build off of this. At first there weren't many Flash heads on this board, but that has changed.

3. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flash's got a quality organization there and a good core if they can keep it. Chemistry, facilities, pretty good coach, committed owner, and upcoming young players to supplement their stars.

I can see Marta staying but I hope her salary won't be as large as it is now since it's a bit of a burden.

4. Adi_Dassler

Adi_Dassler New Member

Sinclair looses out to Boquete for POTY---she was robbed.

Sinclair wins the POTM in the championship --Boquete was a non factor.
    REVENGE IS SAWEET!!

Aaron Lines, a rookie coach, wins 2 more regular season games than Paul Riley--the WPS coach of the year, then beats him in the CUP game and takes the CUP back to his office in Buffalo.
    REVENGE IS SAWEET!!

Ashlyn Harris, WPS keeper of the year, with the help of Scott Vallow,shows it was deserved.

It was a fun summer....thanks WNY FLASH.

5. Pro-Evo-King

Pro-Evo-King New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Football outerspace
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to Western NY on Winning the Championship.

6. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to Western New York Flash in winning 2011 WPS Final!

7. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Marta's team wins ... now what? Next year...who buys Marta?

No one was willing to sign her this season. I guess it comes down to a realistic number from her agent - sahlen. sweden probably sets the market. Her 1.5M AEG deal is up.

Aaron Lines, a rookie coach, wins 2 more regular season games than Paul Riley--the WPS coach of the year, then beats him in the CUP game and takes the CUP back to his office in Buffalo.
    REVENGE IS SAWEET!!

My understanding is A-Rod handed WNY the game, so that means Riley did the better coaching job. From what I read, opportunities clearly favored Philly at the end of reg and OT. So, I'd probably stay with Riley as COY. I do agree Sinclair has been good from start to finish. But as I said, Vero is good for 1 goal if you can get that from her. kai and a-rod are philly's engine.

I guess I'll get a better idea when i see the game but posters were pretty good at describing what was going on.

8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, Joe Sahlen! This summer was a blast, can't wait until next year!

9. bdaly

bdaly Member

Apr 28, 2011
    A-Rod missed a chance or two, but scored a goal. I'm not sure how that's "handing them the game." The Flash had what appeared to be an onside goal called off, and the ref, judging by her actions, gave a second yellow while not even realizing it. (I'm pretty confident she wouldn't have given it had she realized given it was a 50/50 call in OT.) I actually thought the Flash looked better in the second OT down a player than they did in the first. You can make excuses both ways. In the end, the Flash got it done. Riley won the award, and congrats to him -- he's certainly a great coach. Lines' team won the regular season title and the championship, so I'm sure he's content. Good years for both guys.

As has been said here, congrats to Sahlen and company. They put together a team quickly and were instrumental in the league continuing this season. And, he put together a great team while he was at it (and took on a hefty salary obligation of Marta's for the league). The marketing was late and light, and understandably so, but they grew as an organization as the year went on, people caught on, and in the end they led the league in attendance. A great year for them, and I think they've got a great foundation know to sell corporate seats, season seats, etc given the full off season.

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SoccerDad00

SoccerDad00 New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes I had a great time attending the games and following the team this year.