CONGRATULATIONS to our sister club [R}

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by The Cadaver, Dec 19, 2005.

1. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sao Paulo tops Liverpool for the FIFA World Club Championship, 1-nil.

(Another good reason for Sao Paulo to showcase one of their attacking skill players by loaning him to LAG for next year)

2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But more importantly, how did Sao Paulo's left-sided midfielder play? And has he ever dreamed of living amongst the rich and beautiful in Hollywood?

3. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't really see much of them 'cause Liverpool dominated the game.

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    People hate this tournament so much... I really don't get it. Is it really so awful that the smaller teams finally have a chance to play in a competition that counts for something?

5. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    FYP..
    I'm not bitter.. :)

Maybe we could loan them Naldo for a loan of that guy who scored the goal!
    Naldo would fit right in down there.. ;)

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wai', wai' wai' wai' WAIT!!

A thread... about soccer??

In the Galaxy forum?

What is the world coming to?

I didn't see the game, and I was too tired to stay up for highlights on Contacto Deportivo (well, I tried but I woke up at like 1:30am to some lame 1970's sci-fi movie).

But was the ref'ing the problem or did Liverpool just not have enough to put a goal in? I heard that they dominated, but.... details, please.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    It looked like Sao Paulo was at least their equals, if not the better team up until they scored the goal. Then, shockingly, for a Brazilian team, they completely bunkered down for the second time in the tournament and went on to survive Liverpool having 80% possession. IMO if Rafa put in Crouch earlier they would have scored, as they had 18 corner kicks to Sao Paulo's 0 (I believe those are the numbers, its close to that anyway). I mean once he came on he won every single header that he was close to! Anyway, there was 1 goal that was taken away from Liverpool that nobody really knows what the call was, but regardless of that the Brits should have won the game.

8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the Sao Paulo coaches picked up a few pointers at the sister-club coaching clinic that Sampson went to in Brazil last year. :p

9. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the bunkering-in part, but did they play a 3-6-1 with players out of position also? ;)

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Maybe, does anyone here actually know their players?

11. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cicinho the left back was good for Brazil at the Confed Cup. Ceni the GK takes PK's. And Amoroso used to be a pretty big name also. That's about it.

12. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Congrats to Sao Paulo. . they beat my beloved Liverpool despite being thoroughly domninated.

Ref's decisions have been criticized, but the bottom line is that SP converted one of their few chances and Pool didnt convert despite outshooting them in the range of something like 19-4 shots on goal.

Second half, SP looked very overwhelmed and not at all Brazilian.

13. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed Your Post. :p

14. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Cicinho is a right back, and there's already some sort of a deal for him with Real Madrid, it's either a future transfer fee, or he's owned by Madrid who've loaned him back to Sao Paulo.

15. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn I know that, I was thinking of a left-back at the time when I posted that. :eek:

I think he's set for a big move next summer after the WC. I dont think he's owned by Madrid, I remember him being linked with Man Utd during last summer.

16. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a pretty exciting game, actually, despite the lopsided stats. Well, at least the hour in the middle that Tivo decided to tape...

17. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Don't you hate that? Unfortunately, this happens a lot with stuff I Tivo on GolTV and Setanta USA--they're schedules are often mixed up. Especially Setanta USA--if it's not starting 20 minutes earlier than they scheduled it for, it's sometimes a wrong program.

And GolTV's schedule for the Milan derby had it starting a half hour later than it actually did, so I missed the first two goals.

18. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game was sweet, but at least you saw the rest of it despite missing the two goals.

19. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Very sweet, as I'm a bit of an Inter fan.

20. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too, dont know why but out of all the Italian teams they are the ones I back, probably because AC are usually made favourites, and I'm an Adriano fan. ;)

21. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its cuz for a tournament thats really supposed to crown the "world champions" of club football, its done over a week.

I mean Champions League, which has many of the smaller teams you speak of, is done over months, then the World Championship should do the same.

I would suggest having the top 4 clubs in Champions League, top 4 clubs from the Copa, 2 clubs from CONCACAF, and 1 club each from Africa and Oceania. Have the whole group stage thing, and then have knockouts. People would take this more seriously then.

22. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Well, by inviting only the champions of the confederations, it's a small pool, and as long as the Champions League and other confederation tournaments are supposedly about finding the best team from that region, there's nothing wrong with having such a small pool of teems. If Chelsea or Barcelona can't win their tournament, they don't have any business playing in the tournament of tournaments.

23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

That's going to be massively expensive if you have teams from the different regions playing each other over an extended period of time. Flights from South America to Europe aren't cheap and are incredibly time consuming.

Not only that, the fixtures are congested as it is, adding in maybe 4-6 week long trips wouldn't help at all.

If you're going to say just have the teams in the same region play each other, well it's 100% pointless because they would have already played each other in the previous years champions league, or CONCACAF champions cup, etc.

So basically your idea, while good in an ideal world of endless money and instant travel, in reality is a pretty bad idea.

24. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the teams were pretty jet-lagged. the soccer kind of was rough. The refs took away 3 goals from Liverpool on offsides calls and didn't kick out a San Paulo player when he went blatantly spikes up on Gerrard who was breaking away from him. I was rooting for San Paulo too because one of our former squirrells (Christian) is playing for them now.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    On to more important things. Anyone saw Saprissa againts Al Itihad? I don't know what to think about Saprissa, their counterattacks are DEADLY, but their defense stinks. Maybe we can beat em at home but we better beat em by more then one, or our CCC is done!