Congratulations to 'Lady' who was Awarded the Supporter's Shield

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Oct 31, 2004.

1. crewrogue

crewrogue New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Ohio
    Re: Congratulations to the Fat Old Broad who was Awarded the Supporter's Shield

My issue was the presentation seemed to be more to the Crew Union person rather than the fan of the year. I had no problem with the fan of the year being out there. The Crew Union President was one of the few that was actually introduced to stadium and was right there with her hands on the trophy in all the pictures. In my opinion the other groups were given only token acknowledgement. The Crew Union has done absolutely nothing to date despite the Crew FO support. It was just an annoying, disgusting start to an abysmal day.

Walt

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club

This is exactly why I have made not a single comment about Crew winning the SS. It was always going to denegrate into a "I deserve to hold the SS more than you." The bottom line is this, amongst people who belong to a supporters group within MLS, if you asked them what the name of Crew's supporters group is, they would without question say V-Army. A V-Army representative should've been on hand in LA to be given the SS from either the prior winner Chicago's representative, or LA's representative as host. That's exactly what should've happened. What's more, for all of my efforts, and for all of the work that I did with Jim Smith, Mark McCullers hasn't made a single effort to get ahold of me. Furthermore, the one attempt that was made, through an employee, was made on the sole basis that Crew didn't want to be embarrassed with foul language during the game involving the second coming of Christ, er excuse me, Freddy Adu. Perhaps it's because I didn't tow the party line, and I wasn't willing to lie to the faces of my friends and colleagues and support Andrulis as a fantastic MLS coach. We'll never know. I'm done though, the season is finished, and my term as de facto leader of V-Army, is also finished. I have very much enjoyed making the friends that I have made via 137, I consider most of you to not only be friends, but close friends, and I wish you luck in the continuance of making section 137 sucessful.

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I will never submit money to that group, ever again. They can't even get my address correct. Infact, I never got my stuff for joining, and last night that lady told me she'd ship them to me. Just hope she remembers I live in Louisville, Ohio and not Kentucky.

Crew Union blows. As much as I dislike V-Army, they deserved to get all the recognition and Crew Union with zero recognition.

4. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club

That's not true, Crew Union handed out t-shirts.

Had I had the resources available to Crew Union, the lord only knows what I would've attempted to accomplish. And while I believe the leadership of Crew Union had it's heart in the right place, it lacked the basic expirience and credibility to truly be sucessful. There's always next year I suppose...I wonder what exactly my $20 went towards?

5. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While watching the game, I too was a bit surprised by the "presentation" of the SS. I wholeheartedly thought it would be exchanged at the Supporter's Summit in Carson, CA. When the Galaxy won it in 2002, we all pretty much agreed that it would go to Ozzy from the Galaxians for their group had pretty much been around from the beginning and we in the Riot Squad were pretty much a bunch of drunkards.

Had it been given to some random FO sponsored ÜbersoccerMom, I truly think I would be a bit pissed.

Especially, and this is not meant mean, it's the only hardware your team got this year.

Tommy Mack
    Los Angeles Riot Squad

PS: Peter Wilt... PLEASE become GM in LA....

6. swittler

swittler Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Columbus

Crew FO wanted the SS at the play off game b/c they knew that the Crew werent going to advance to the MLS Cup and how many Crew fans will be out in LA if their team isnt out there?

7. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I had known this I would have stayed home. I think I may call Mark and ask for the $20 I spent on concessions and the $3 worth of gas it cost me.

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK, but:

1) The SHield is not theirs to control. It belongs to the fans, collectively. So, for example, last year at a playoff game the Fire FANS had a ceremony and awarded it to Chris Armas.

2) The Crew cannot award the Supporter's Shield to ANYBODY. Only SUPPORTERS can award the SUPPORTER'S shield. Scott DeBolt has as much business arranging to give it to that silly woman as I do giving the Stanley Cup to my dog.

3) The real issue here is the same one as always: the Crew hates anybody it can't control. So when Peter Wilt asked him for some supporters to send it to Scott panicked.

GOOD GOD. Maybe something would happen BEYOND HIS CONTROL. Can't have that.

So DeBolt broke with league tradition and grabbed it up himself. I assume he knew better. Maybe he's really that stupid and didn't. but I doubt it.

Let's tell the truth here: he was worried the wrong people (read: "V Army") might end up with it. And his anal little self couldn't deal with that. Scared him to death.

So he stole it and put himself in charge. Just another ugly example of how this team is run. It's a disgrace and Scott owes us an apology and the trophy.

Don't hold your breath.

9. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO

anyone have contact info for Scott DeBolt or Mark McCullers? I'm horrified and insulted that they would take this action with the award created by, payed for and awarded by the Supporter Clubs of MLS, and I want them to know how offensive this is to all supporters, not just you V-Army guys.

10. IrishCrew7

IrishCrew7 New Member

I for one am a loyal Crew supporter. I wear my scarf proudly, I always wear one of my 3 Crew jersey's and take part in any chanting, singing or chearing that happens in my section. Now I don't belong to an official supporters club nothing against any that exist just haven't joined any. This is very, very embarissing almost as much as our crash out of the playoff's.
    Im not sure how the Crew FO can honestly ignore a tradition such as this by doing what they did. As a supporter of the Crew it makes me sick. You all know very well nothing will be done to right the ship and that is wrong. Loyal since 96, proud supporter in sec. 108 and at this moment in time as embarissed as someboy can be of our team and organization as a whole!

11. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club

I will also publicly state in addition to my previous comments that I find the title of this thread to be in extreme poor taste.

12. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States

I just want to thank Zak for all the work he's done with V-Army.

For the email addresses of DeBolt and McCullers, I'm pretty sure it's just first letter of first name, then last name, then TheCrew.com. So, mmccullers@thecrew.com or sdebolt@thecrew.com

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Having had the pleasure of seeing the Shield being passed from one supporter's group to another (never us of course) twice here in Foxboro at the Supporter's Summit, I'm not happy with the Crew FO on this one either.

The award should have been handed to one of you guys or a group of your supporter's ... not some lady, hence the name ... the SUPPORTER'S SHIELD. I can't believe they screwed you guys like that.

I also hope that they (and the lady) realize it's not hers to keep! This will need to be passed along next year ... and here's hoping that it's actually passed to a Supporter's Group.

14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And since the woman in question is amember of Crew Union (or Stooge Union) which the Crew says is their "Official" supporter's group, they are "officially" not eligible.

Scott DeBolt conned it out of Peter Wilt under false pretenses and then used it to snub some supporters and reward others for being in his pocket. It's a bastardiztion of the trophy and a disgusting, cheap ploy.

DeBolt had no business getting involved. The team cannot award the Shield. It is not theirs. It belongs to the supporters and can't be used as an award for Scott DeBolt's favorite fan.

What they did was nothing less than an insult to MLS fans. Outrageous.

Of course, after the way the team plaued, maybe they were giving us a clue.

The Crew needs to apologize.

15. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States

Let's clarify- Crew Union is not a supporters group. They are a fan club that is supposed to attract member from all different kinds of Crew fans. Unfortunatly, CU has become a supposed rival of the supporters clubs, so it's a tough problem. I'm stilll optimistic that the club will ship it out to LA so the trophy can officially be awarded to the supporters.

16. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please please come work for us.

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What a crock. The more I hear about the Crew FO and management, the more I respect their fans for supporting the team in spite of everything. This is just crap--who is there to call them out for this?

PS Bill Archer, I hope all goes well for your wife.

19. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus

Maybe I just don't see it, but what have The Crew Union done this year? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just curious. They were down on the field as part of the Supporter's Shield thing. Legion, V-Army, Crew Union, and the lady that has been talked about in this thread.

20. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR

Anyone know the history of the MLS Supporters Shield? It appears that some supporter group (Miami Fusion 2001?) started this and has nothing to do with the League as such. If so, giving the trophy to a "best fan" is ridiculous. There needs to be some sort of accountablity here for next year at least.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unless I'm remembering this wrong, it was actually put together mainly by Sam Pierron and the KC supporter's.

IIRC, it had nothing to do with the league, and was handed from one Supporter's Group to another. Two years ago, at the MLS Cup in Foxboro, the Shield was handed to the Gals fans at the Summit that the Riders put together. Later that night, the Shield was officially presented to the Gals fans at the MLS Awards Banquet.

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually it was started by some KC guys. I know Sam Pierron and Andy Mead were involved, along with some people from every MLS city. IIRC either Shane or Sirk we involved as well.

The Fusion story is just part of it's lore, and a good example of what I'm on about:

The Fusion won the thing and then the team was "contracted" a few months later.

It had been awarded, AS IS THE CUSTOM, at the Supporter's Summit to the Fusion group. After their team was eliminated, they were so pissed that they refused to give it up. They said they were going to bury it in a swamp someplace where it would never be found.

After some months of public and private negotiations, the Fusion (or EX Fusion) fans thought better of it and it was duly passed on at the next Supporter's Summit.

Which tradition has now been expropriated by the Crew, because they so desperately hate their supporter's groups. They lied to get their hands on it and aren't bloody likely to give it up.

23. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus

I agree with that

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Although I personally do not agree, I nevertheless have nothing but the greatest respect for zak and all he has done to support the Crew, despite the Crew management kicking him in the face every chance they got.

So if zak finds the thread title inappropriate, then I'd like to please ask any passing mod to change it. Anything will do.

How about "How Scott DeBolt Stole DeCup"??

No? Whatever you think then.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Just to clarify - I was not involved in the creation of the Shield. I can't take credit for the hard work of others. I merely was one of the earliest and loudest proponents and supporters of the Supporters Shield.

Apparently there will, in fact, be a Supporters Summit this year. At the Hampton Inn - I believe. I'm waiting for someone to email me the details.

Hopefully we'll get the Shield there and one of the Section 8 folks will be able to -officially- hand the Shield off to the V-Army.

The fact is, the Crew will have to ship the Shield to LA anyway as the MLS has incorporated it into their annual Awards Gala.

Like Bill said, this Crew FO fiasco will just become part of the lore of the Shield. The best story from 2002/Miami involved threats to send the Shield to Argentina. Ah, good times. :p