Congratulations to 'Lady' who was Awarded the Supporter's Shield

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some ugly old bag, with a couple twelve year old girls standing with her, accepted the Supporter's SHield before the game.

Thanks Crew Management for turning this into a bad joke.

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Re: Congratulations to the Fat Old Broad who was Awarded the Supporter's Shield

Huh? Shouldn't someone from the team accept the shield?

And why the hell aren't you at the game?

3. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm at a coffee shop across the street from the hospital where my wife has taken up permanent residence in the ICU. I'm here so much they turned on ESPN2 for me.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Oh crap!

I'm so sorry Bill. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

5. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL

Bill - my prayers for your wife! May she have a VERY speedy recovery. Please keep us posted.

6. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks. Finally some encouraging stuff this weekend after two long weeks.

7. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
  8. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Huh?

9. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Some old woman was presented with the Supporters Sheild and named "fan of the year" at the begining of the game.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not trying to take this selfishly, but I do take it a bit personally. I'm not trying to whine, but I see exactly why this thread was started.

As "unofficial coordinator" (for lack of a better term) of Jersey flag and all that, it can be a real bitch. I'm out there with you guys (and thanks for your help this year) at 2:30 PM, busting my ass with that flag. Getting it out of the box, dragging it up section 137, pulling it back down and preparing it for kickoff.

After the game, when i'd rather be in the Stadium Club or wherever, i'm getting people to fold it back up.

If you've never helped with jersey flag, it can be a real pain. Especially during windy days or the heat. V-army lads who helped in 2003, we were out there during some 80-90 degree day doing it just for the love of doing it.

At least the players recognize it and appreciate it.

Thanks to Scott and Ryan in the front office for allowing us to come in early, get field access and all that. You guys are troopers. When security could easily throw us out for not having credentials, you say the magic word and they don't.

All that, and still standing up every game, in all weather. We're there from opening kick to the final whistle. No matter what the result. We could have easily abandoned 137 during the final 10 minutes of the game. Did we? No.

But it does feel like a slap in the face. Once in a while, a player will come over and throw something into the stands (Buschie did tonight with his gloves.) If it's the supporters shield, give it to the supporters.

And that's these guys:

[​IMG]

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't get me started on this topic.

Whatever Crew FO. Screw over everyone and don't care like USUAL. Whatever.

12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

(not trolling)

Ouch. Tough day for the Crew. I'd be pissed if some random fat ass soccer mom got our supporters sheild.

And tough game, sounds like something the Burn would do.

My appologies...

13. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with your anger, that is bull. When I think of "Fan of the Year" on any MLS team, a fat old broad doesn't come to mind. Knowing your luck, management will continue to screw you over and sign Andrulis for a 4 year deal.

14. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.

Don't give them any ideas, FFS.

15. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep, I saw that and almost turned the TV off in disgust. Granted, all I had to do was watch Paule **********-foot his shot to prompt that action.

Prayers are with you and your family, Bill.

16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH

Crew announce team award winners

SUSIE GASBARRO - Crew Fan of the Year
    A season ticket holder since the inaugural season in 1996, Susie Gasbarro has been chosen as the 2004 Columbus Crew Fan of the Year. Gasbarro has supported The Crew for nine seasons both on and off the field, attending almost every Crew game as well as numerous U.S. National Team games at Crew Stadium. She has been a secretary in the Franklin County Commissioners office for 19 years and is currently the secretary for County Commissioner Arlene Shoemaker. The energetic Gasbarro is not one to hide her passion for The Crew, as her friends and co-workers can attest.

17. CSC-CrewFan

CSC-CrewFan New Member

Oct 29, 1999

She has worked hard and gotten many many people to become season ticket holders. As I look in the North End it has become a section that has become smaller and smaller of the years.

I know I used to sit in the north end 5 years ago.

So who should the fan of the year go to? An energetic person who has made fans or a shrinking group of North enders?

18. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS

Obviously not you.

19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1) The SS was created by fan groups, not the corporate wannabe "sports marketing" weenies that work for various teams while bulking up their resume towards the day when they can get a REAL job. It's not up to them - it's up to the fans. It's the way it was created to work.

2) The SS is passed over from one teams' fans to another teams' fans at MLS Cup, at the Supporter's Summit, not from some MLS douchebag to some old broad that the TEAM selected. That is not how it's supposed to work and is not how it has ever been done before.

3) The Crew co-opted this award for their own purposes, and have now officially ruined what was a really neat, and unique, American soccer tradition.

It's not given to the "Fan of the Year" or as a prize to whoever sells the most tickets or for being a really nice old bag with political connections. It's given FROM ONE FAN GROUP TO ANOTHER.

Just one more thing the Crew fvcked up.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So one of our FO members probably called one of Chicago's FO members. When they said they requested the Shield in Columbus for a playoff game, couldn't the guy in Chicago have asked why?

From what I know of him, there is no way that Peter Wilt would have allowed the FO to give it to a fan of the year. He knows too much about the Shield to have let that happen.

And whoever says we're shrinking in 137 needs their head examined. If anything, we're more organized and growing. Groups over 50 aren't uncommon. We're heard and seen from all over the stadium.

21. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS

To be honest, There are alot of fans who did what this woman did. Maybe even more.

Zak has spent a ridiculous amount of money on people. I've been with him at Krogers when he's spent an unreal amount of cash for food for tailgates. He lets loads of people stay at his place. He's spent time on things like

scarves
    banners
    a "Crew Pub"
    Jersey Flag set up before games
    smoke machine
    t-shirts
    road trips

The North End may be dwindling but that's not due to certain people's lack of effort.

The Crew FO only cares about people who have made them some money. That's why she got an award. Zak will never get an award. Only a hefty credit card balance.

22. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI

i emailed Mark and Scott and asked them for a contact with C-Bus' supporters that we could send it to.

Scott emailed me back saying, "send it to me". i probably should have been more proactive in making sure it got to the supporters. i apologize for the slight.

The Supporters Shield means a lot to me for several reasons including the genesis of the award. As successful as the Fire was in our first five years, it was one trophy that eluded us until last season.

Congratulations on winning the trophy.

peter

23. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was out there (the guy all the way on the right with V-Army scarf) to participate in the ceremony. Erin, another V-Army loyalist, was out there as well. Ryan Smith contacted us midweek and asked for us to "represent" the section.

Those other people were Crew Union reps and The Legion reps.

So, there was V-Army presence out there, just to clear up that question. We didn't get to touch the shield, though...that was all fan of the year.

24. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio

I'm very disappointed in the way this was handled...big time...

I appreciate Peter's willingness to come on and explain the situation. It's nice to know that some in this league take accountability for what they do on a daily basis, sure I hate the F*re but it's dedication and a willingness to listen and take criticism like Peter does that will help this league foster better relationships with their fans.

I guess there is going to be no presentation at the SS then if the Crew FO has the Shield?

25. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just curious but does the Crew supporter group have a good relationship with Crew management? It seems like this award would go to the president of the supporters group.