Congratulations [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sandon Mibut, Jul 26, 2009.

1. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right about the first goal, disgraceful PK call, I thought it should have been a yellow for the Mex for a backward swan dive, he completly initiated all the contact. A little shirt tug, sure, but if all those are called the average soccer game score is 12-11.

The second goal was legit, blame it on the dumba$$ right back, for raising his arm and giving up on the play. The Mex in the middle was in an offside position but was not offside because the ball was not played to him, the player receiving the ball on the left was clearly onside. The guy in the middle waited until the ball passed him before rejoining the play, completely legal and a good goal.

The first goal was hard to take but you can't just completely give up, that's what bothered me most.

2. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed 100% about the first penalty call--it was a foul on Dos Santos if it was a foul on anyone. But let's not forget that when it was 3-0, Robbie Rogers absolutely mauled a Mexican in the box and the ref let it go (perhaps out of pity). Bad calls even out, and they didn't do us in today--our bad defense did. No excuses.

3. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    Congratulations Mexico.

Thank you for providing a tough environment for BB to evaluate which players he might be able to use for 2010. Plus any weaknesses they have that need work on.

4. Beautiful Game 2010

Jul 11, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I hope you saw Futbol Picante (on ESPN Dos/ESPN Deportes) tonight since they said that they expected at least 8 of the players that started today's game for Mexico would start on August 12.:p

5. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Congratulations Mexico [R]

As long as the future is 2012. They're all done for now. Back to MLS with the lot of them.

6. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    congrats Mexico, good luck through the rest of qualifying (after August 12, of course) :)

7. Ronrris

Ronrris Member+

Feb 13, 2008
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Quick question....
    How does it feel to lose 5-0????
    :p

8. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The third one hurts the most. After that each goal is just funny.

Now that I answered your question, please answer my question in December when I ask "How does it feel to miss a WC" :p

9. Ronrris

Ronrris Member+

Feb 13, 2008
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    np,
    but we both know we wont miss a WC ;)

10. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What's a "Congrats Mexico" thread doing in this forum? Take it to the Mexico forum. And enough of the alphabet soup team crap.

11. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Because some people have class.

12. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not good.

But on the bright side, it probably doesn't feel nearly as bad as losing 2-0 to your biggest rival in a World Cup.

Maybe you could share your feelings about that and we could compare......find out which is worse. ;)

13. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It should be done in the Congrats thread in the Mexican forum. Which I've already posted in.

14. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bogus PK call in a 0-0 game is much more important than a missed PK in a 3-0 game, I think you'd agree. Going down 0-1 on a bad call is a test of character, a good team can come back from this, we weren't good enough, they were better and deserved to win.

15. wyastarr

wyastarr New Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Takoma Park, MD
    Amen... After the 1st half, how could any US fan not have expected a better result from the team on the field? We were playing the ball quickly in tight situations, the defense was looking good. If not not for our tendency to miss the broad side of the bloody barn we'd have had a goal or two. Forget the a, b, c, shite, our team fell apart for some reason. While the penalty hurt and was a little soft, so what, we should've pushed for the equalizer without giving up the stupid easy counters. We saved our worst half in this tourney for the worst half to have it. Rogers... ARGH!!! Arnoud.... ARGH!!!!

Also, this STUPID rivalry stuff... sure I want the US to win, but this maniacal ranting about Mexico smacks of the stuff you year in the VFW halls of Long f u c king Island.

16. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Congratulations Mexico.

Wasnt it Torrado that kicked the crap out of Holden's planted leg on a late challenbe in the second half and got a yellow card ?

17. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really no sense in dwelling on the call. Even without the PK, our players were wilting. It was only a matter of time before Mexico scored.

In saying that, let me dwell for jsut two more comments: not only was Gio leaning into him but his elbow was up high. Should have been a no call at worst.

If the ref was calling shirt tugs in the box, how about the play in which Goodson was head-butted in the nose in the first half ?

18. J Coog

J Coog New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Houston, Texas USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Congratulations Mexico.

Torrado is a dirty POS player. Which is why he was wearing the armband - shows you what that side/federation values.

Note - edited to clarify that I think his play his dirty (not a personal attack).

19. diegolin89

diegolin89 Member+

Jul 13, 2008
    I hope you saw Futbol Picante before yesterday's game, because they pointed that about 3 players from the Gold Cup would start on August 12. Of course, this win changes all perspectives, and shows the difference between our NT and yours, we have about 30 A players.

20. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    The main differences between the U.S. and Mexico is 1) Mexico has a much more well-established fanbase and 2) the U.S. has absolutely dominated this last decade

21. thespian89

thespian89 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Congrats..enjoy the high...cause you won't be on one come 8/12.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also like to extend my congratulations to the Mexican team. I was at the game yesterday and have to say "Fanbase: WOW." Apart from the U.S. supporters section the entire stadium was a sea of green. I went with 4 other U.S. supporters and we were SURROUNDED by Mexicans the entire game. I felt bad for the U.S. team since I felt they deserved better support, but the atmosphere for the game was just amazing.

The Mexican fans in our section were all very nice and even when the scoreline got out of hand the fans in our section (although pouring beer all over themselves and screaming like lunatics) were still very pleasant.

As for the game, although it killed me to watch it Mexico played very attractive soccer in that 2nd half.

Congratualtions.

23. gettysburg32

gettysburg32 New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Around VA and PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like a big steaming turd in the backseat of my car for the six-hour drive back to Va. last night, LOL.

That said, congrats and respect for how Mexico played yesterday. US fans don't like the Mexican excuses when the US wins, so there should be no excuses for the US today. We would be sticking it in Mexico's face yesterday and today if it had gone the other way around, so have fun for the time being.

It's all reverse psychology by our fearless, masterful leader Bob Bradley though. He knows the US always benefits when Mexico is overconfident going into a game. RoboBob sacrificed (he lit that bitch on fire) the Gold Cup and the hubris of the US fans in Giants Stadium yesterday for a higher purpose, to set the stage perfectly for Azteca.

24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Congratulations Mexico [R]

I meant Gio and Vela.;) The less said about our guys in this match the better....

25. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Congrats of fooling the ref with a patented "Blanco Flop" There is no honor in flopping your way to a goal