conflict for U20 players with NCAA playoffs, FIFA U20 Championship

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by GersMan, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Sounds like most of the U20 players are leaning towards going pro.

It was very nice to read that Santa Clara's coach was supportive of this decision and actually, it sounded like, encouraging his players to leave after their junior years because they'll get shafted by MLS if they wait.

2. Shimmy

Shimmy New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Great article, thanks!

3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Best part from the article:

Despite playing forward and attacking midfield most of his life, Cameron knows that at 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, there is a chance he’ll be switched to central defense at the next level.

“I have no problem with that,” he said. “Like I said, my ultimate goal is to become a professional soccer player. If any of these coaches see a need for me to play in the back or that’s the way I’m going to make it, fine. That’s why they are professional scouts and professional coaches, they understand what it’s like to be a professional. I just want to be successful.”

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    When you factor in that quote with this one, Cameron sounds like one grounded kid.

“We understand why this was postponed and what the postponement meant for us,” said Cameron, a powerful junior forward. “When we came back for this season, this school year, we knew what we were getting into. Yeah, it’s a sacrifice but compared to the sacrifice that a lot of guys our age who are in the military are making, it’s nothing. Those guys are risking their lives to ensure that we’re a safer country on a whole. Putting your life on the line is the ultimate sacrifice so ours is minor compared to that. That’s how we look at it and we make a minor adjustment and make the best of it.”

I also find this intriguing:

"Grabavoy could return to Monaco and Marshall has, according to sources at U.S. Soccer, drawn the interest of top clubs in Spain and Italy."

Anyone know anything about what clubs are interested in Marshall? He's been to Europe a lot with the 20s and 17s, including to Spain just before the college season started, so I'm sure he's been evaluated by a lot of top clubs.

5. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    think BIG

6. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Gersman, you're such a tease. Could you at least give us a hint how much interest these BIG teams have for him?

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Cool.

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rayo Vallecano!

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Since it's relevant to this thread, here are the college stats of the kids mentioned in the article.

Steve Cronin, GK, Santa Clara (11-2-3)
    15 games, 15 starts, 36 saves, 0.60 g.a.a.

Ford Williams, GK, North Carolina (10-2-3)
    11 games, 11 starts, 30 saves, 0.85 g.a.a

Drew Moor, D, Indiana (8-3-4)
    13 games, 13 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0.68 team g.a.a.

Ryan Cochrane, D, Santa Clara (11-2-3)
    16 games, 1 goal, 0 assists, 0.53 team g.a.a.

Jordan Harvey, D, UCLA (14-1)
    12 games, 6 starts, 2 goals, 2 assists

C.J. Klaas, D, Washington (9-2-2)
    13 games, 13 starts, 3 goals, 5 assists

Chad Marshall, D, Stanford (2-12-2)
    15 games, 15 starts, 1 goal, 1 assist, 1.50 team g.a.a.

Heath Pearce, D, Portland (7-7-0)
    14 games, 11 starts, 1 goal, 0 assists, 1.17 team g.a.a.

Knox Cameron, F, Michigan (12-5)
    17 games, 17 starts, 11 goals, 9 assists

Ned Grabavoy, M, Indiana (8-3-4)
    15 games, 14 starts, 10 goals, 6 assists

10. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

He's going to Albacete? Who wouldn't be proud to see an American suiting up for "El queso mecanico"?

11. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    No mention of Wake Forest's midfielder Justin Moose? Last I heard he was very much in the picture. Has something changed?

His season stats: Wake Forest (11-3-0)
    Games 14
    Starts 14
    Goals 0
    Assists 5

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's a good question. Presumably he's still in the mix. Granted, he didn't make the trip to Spain or get called in for the Japan friendly, but that could be as much to do with conflicts with the college season than anything else. (And, Cameron and Grabavoy didn't make either of those, as well.)

Moose is likely still in the picture but I doubt that both he and Grabavoy will make the team. It will likely be either-or though it could be neither as Rongen could just opt to take Craig Capano since he doesn't play much for the Fire, anyway.

13. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Justin will not be going to UAE.

He's definitely showed some potential however and I think he have a fine pro career with a chance at international status.

For now, I imagine he's focusing on trying to win a national championship.