Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by SammyP, Oct 22, 2021.

1. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    If Stanford and Cal were such great "gets" then a major conference would have already snatched them up. As it is, they are one of the four schools left over after the Big Ten and Big 12 grabbed what they wanted.

The Big Ten is not taking Stanford AND Cal because they really want Notre Dame. Cal is a dumpster fire of an athletic program with a tremendous amount of debt. I could see Stanford and Notre Dame as a package deal to make a 20-team Big Ten. There's even a rumor out there that Cal is considering discontinuing its football program. The UC Regents are meeting tonight to discuss all things Cal.

2. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    I just think they will wind up in the Big Ten because of their academics. UCLA already has to share some of its money with them. Not saying they are a great financial/athletic get, just a good academic get and part of a top 10 tv market.

3. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    The Big Ten gave full shares to UCLA and USC and partial shares to Oregon and Washington. This is all about the money. Stanford and Cal will be desperate...and have to take a big discount from anyone.

BigRedFootie repped this.
  4. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    ... but the Board of Regents said UCLA has to share their money with Cal. Again, I think it happens a year from now at a discounted price https://sports.yahoo.com/ucla-clear...7aLK5UDKnsfhIn1gVoSF296ei_zqtuJu-kDkClh512sj3

5. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
  6. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    For men's soccer, that leaves Oregon State and San Diego State swaying in the wind. I'd like to see the Big West pick them up as affiliates.

Fitballer repped this.
  7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Beginning in 2024, only three of the national champions in men's soccer since and including 1981 will be in three conferences: The ACC, Big East and Big Ten.

The exceptions - Santa Clara, co-champs with an ACC school in 1989; UC Santa Barbara in 2006; and Marshall, champs in the spring of 2021 (the 2020 COVID make-up season).

ACC
    Clemson - 1984, 87, 2021
    Duke - 1986
    North Carolina - 2001, 11
    Notre Dame - 2013
    Stanford - 2015-17
    Syracuse - 2022
    Virginia - 1989, 91-94, 09, 14
    Wake Forest - 2007

Big Ten
    Indiana - 1982, 83, 88, 98, 99, 2003, 04, 12
    Maryland - 2005, 08, 18
    UCLA - 1985, 90, 97, 2002
    Wisconsin - 1995

Big East
    Akron - 2010
    Connecticut - 1981, 2000
    Georgetown - 2019
    St. John's - 1996

Not even college football is that consolidated among just 3 conferences.

Hell, the NCAA should just give 2/3 of the NCAA Tournament bids to these three conferences and let the rest fight over the final third and go from there.

JoeSoccerFan, Fitballer and fknbuflobo repped this.
  8. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That... is insane.

9. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the current realignment is complete, college football champions very likely will come from only 3 conferences

10. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SMU taking $0 for 9 years is insane

11. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    I'm sure they went to their donors to pick up the slack knowing they could get into P4 Conference. Probably some as Jed Clampett would say "texas tea" money floating about SMU.

BigRedFootie repped this.
  12. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    SMU has been desperate to get back into the high majors since the football program received the "death penalty" in 1987. They have bought themselves a seat in the inner room, like Rodney Dangerfield at Bushwood.

Fitballer repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The boosters came to them. It wasn't the school's idea to take no money to join the ACC, boosters, primarily one insanely rich one, suggested it and said he'd make up the shortfall.
    Ironically, there is no gambling at Bushwood, sir. (And I never slice.)

fknbuflobo, BigRedFootie and Fitballer repped this.
  14. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the big change, i have Oregon State and San Diego State being orphans in 2024-25. Any guesses as where they'll end up?

Pac-12
    Oregon State

Mountain West
    San Diego State (was a Pac-12 affiliate)

15. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"OK, you can owe me!"

Fitballer repped this.
  16. IntoTouch

IntoTouch Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    May 3, 2022
    For soccer Big West Oregon
    WAC SDSU

17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delaware getting wooed by Conference USA, who doesn't offer men's soccer. Odds are the Blue Hens will stay in the CAA for men's soccer.

Fitballer repped this.
  18. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    If they let them... sometimes those conferences are not happy with teams switching but they are moving to the FBS for football which may give them an out.

LimestoneKid repped this.
  19. VASoccer75

VASoccer75 Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Just using JMU as a case study, would think maybe the SunBelt to align with those schools athletic philosophies? no knowledge to back it up but those schools are FBS caliber football with no conference for soccer in the CUSA. Just a thought

20. Maclid

Maclid Member

Marshall (NCAA)
    United States
    Aug 28, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, JMU is now a full member of the Sun Belt having joined the league in 2022. The Sun Belt soccer membership is made up of 6 of its full members (Marshall, JMU, ODU, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, Georgia Southern) and 4 affiliate members (Kentucky, South Carolina, WVU, UCF), which are the only SEC and Big 12 core members that sponsor men's soccer.

Geographically, Delaware isn't too far outside of the current footprint of the league. But given that the SBC is sort of already maxed out on regular season games for round robin, and that the Delaware program's traditional power level wouldn't necessarily enhance the league's strength. I would be shocked if the SBC were interested at this time.

I think Delaware is a solid overall athletic program and will ultimately enhance the overall profile of CUSA. And depending on who CUSA adds as their 12th member could put the league close to at least considering sponsoring men's soccer again (Liberty, FIU, and Delaware have programs - and Missouri State has been considered a candidate for C-USA 12th). At that point, there might be options to partner with the non-Akron MAC schools and make a league happen.

VASoccer75 repped this.
  21. VASoccer75

VASoccer75 Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Thank you for the insight. Also for delaware they wont leave until 2025 so it stands to reason there could be more conferences shaking-up between now and then. All just speculation anyways at this point

22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago State moving conferences...again...now to the NEC.

At least there's a major airport nearby. Not fun travel in this one.

23. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Any idea why? The NEC is all northeastern schools, isn't it? At least in the OVC CSU didn't have to fly for most road games.

For a school whose finances were in bad shape not that long ago, I'm scratching my head over this. Even adding the program a few years ago didn't seem to make financial sense, fwiw. I see their plans also include potentially adding DI football, with an enrollment under 3,000. Maybe they found a chest of money somewhere.

24. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably one of the few conferences that would accept Chicago State in all sports. And, probably one of the few conferences where they all may be at a semi-competitive balance. I don't know many other sports, but it's not like the NEC is a great conference for any sport.

I'll liken it to the ASUN, just a conference for the schools that no one else wants.

CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  25. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Looking at their website, I take it they were independent in most sports. I'd thought they'd moved to the OVC for everything.

ThePonchat repped this.