Confederations Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by SoB Bolton, Jun 14, 2009.

1. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I'm stunned. This match was the LEAD story on SportsCenter.

2. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the first time in a loooooong time, I had no desire to go on BigSoccer yesterday after the game. I wandered around in a daze all night, not really knowing how to react to what happened.

To be completely objective, Brazil rightfully won that game. They had the better of the chances and played a more complete game (and managed to win even with a goal not awarded). And if not for Howard absolutely standing on his head, the game could have been a lot different. But it doesn't change the fact that this loss was absolutely devestating.

I've heard and read numerous times the past couple weeks that the Confederations Cup doesn't matter; that it's just "glorified friendlies". I think that that's a load of crap, and how I feel now and how guys like Clint Dempsey reacted post game proves that. There are only 2 opportunities every 4 years to win a world tournament at the senior level.

No, it's not the World Cup, but I'd rank it second in terms of how happy I'd be if we won it. The days of being satisfied with Gold Cup wins are gone. Yea, it's always nice to win our continent's tournament, but I want more. I want tangible evidence (i.e. a trophy) to show the rest of the world our accompishments. Landon said it best, that at this point, we don't want respect, we want to win. I know the world takes us a little more seriously after this showing, but moral victories still pale in comparison to actually taking home the title.

Thanks for a great tournament boys, you really did your fans and your country proud.

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are those Confed Cup patches available to purchase online somewhere?

4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm bummed that we gave up a two-goal lead with only 45 minutes left and lost. It's disappointing to have been so close to our first global-international tournament championship and not win it. But I'm proud of how the team responded to their poor performances and made serious strides in confidence at playing at this level. I'm proud that the team came out attacking with confidence against mighty Brazil in a pressure-type game.

5. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a positive note: Man, what a gorgeous counter attack on the second goal.

6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. That was true international level quality. Great quick passing. Fantastic pace. Great touch. Great finish. Would love to see more of it and less penalty-kicks.