Confederations afterthoughts: Mexico

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by FGarcia1, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!
    Bass is great, so is Newcastle. I propose we have beer cultural exchange, I will send you a mixed case of Mexican microbrews like Casta (Brittish style Ales), Tijuana TJ (Czech style Pilsner), as well as a number of exoctic brews that have Corn, Agave Pulp, or Honey Wine....and you send me the best micro brews from your region.

2. lcfc_uk

lcfc_uk New Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Oxford, England
    Man, that sounds good - is the agave pulp one the same thing as pulque? I heard about Casta but didn't get to try any. I thought Bohemia was an OK coldy though. Also, what do you know about tequila - went to the herradura distill and tried a load - boootiful!!! Very different to the standard import stuff (Jose Ceurvo) we get here in UK.

Can you get Double Diamond, London Pride, Speckled Hen and/or Mcewans over there? - they tend to be pretty good in bottles. Although DD is only on export now - we can't get it over here anymore....

Sup Up, M'Duck!

3. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    There is so much more, you dont want to know :p ;)

4. el_zacatecano

el_zacatecano New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Clovis, Ca.
    I think I'm responsible for Various Styles' recent He Man infatuation. :eek:

5. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

(1) Yup...it is pulque (you are very well informed my friend).

(2) Casta is great...still can't get it in the U.S.A easily. It definitely helps fill a void in Mexican beers (for more hoppy & stronger flavors)...goes absolutely phenominal with a Lamb Shank Barbacoa.

(3) Bohemia is okay....Negra Modelo is darker with nice chocolatey notes. It is still lighter than a Cream Porter, but if its slightly chilled it is perfect with any Game Bird in a Oaxacan Black Mole sauce.

(4) The best everyday sipping Tequila (IMO) is the Sauza Tres Generaciones Anejo (2 year aging in White Oak) - US$ 30. Specially if you have some patience to decanter half of the volume in its own bottle for about 1 year...you will be in for a treat. There are a number of other brands that are aged longer & are ALOT more expensive...but as they become more refined they lose their Tequila essence (the cactus, briney flavors) and start imitating Cognac (at much higher prices than you would pay for equivalent Cognac).

If you are going to mix, then I recommend Sauza's Hornitos (which is also decent to sip with a wedge of Lime)...and don't use any mixing syrups. Stick to fruit liqueurs (Orange, Grapefruit, Lemon), fresh citrus fruit juices, & rock salt.

Of those beers the only ones I can get reliably are McEwans (although I think the English pubs do have them on Tap). I really like McEwans but there is an Oregon Micro Brewery (MacKesons) that mimics quite well for US$2.50 less & they always have it at my grocery store (whereas I have to go out of my way to get McEwans). Nonetheless, when I do go to English pubs its always hard to decide between Bass, Newcastle & McEwans.

6. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    Why dont u guys start a thread about beers in the NSR forum?

7. G D L

G D L New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Boston University
  8. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    While we're at it, I'd recommend:
    1. From the Sierra Madre microbrewery in Monterrey: Regio Pilsner. Available only in the MX northeast.
    2. Tequila Don Julio Añejo Reposado - Smooth!

9. lcfc_uk

lcfc_uk New Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Oxford, England
    One last one, david...

You can get Negra Modelo in most decent Mexican Restaurants over here (very nice cool i reck) and I brought a bottle of Sauza Hornitos Repsado (100% agave -on recommendation) back with us - i enjoyed it simply with ice....

Good tasting notes and suggested food pairings, jmarquez...am gonna have to check out a recipe for the Oaxacan Black Mole sauce - sounds interesting.....Would like to get to Oaxaca one day.

Goofy - thanks for the rec's fella but i'm unlikely to be able to get hold of those over here unless there's some spesh import shop. There's another reason to head back to Mexico one day then.

Do you fellas get hold of Belgian beers - Chimay is a big fave of mine (espesh the blue label)? Also a pint of Mild's worth trying (normally quite low in alcohol - 3-4%) if you ever get the opportunity - its a dark ruby roast nutty jobby. Hardys and Hansons of Nottingham make a beaut...it's a traditional English Midlands beer.

Get yourselves OVER TO BLIGHTY boys - and i'll take you out on a nasty looooong PUB CRAWL. Taste the wares and the women! :p

10. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  11. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Chimay is King! Yes you speak my language, beer. Speckled Hen is on the Bopper's hot 5 @ 5pm list. Yes I love that stuff. Rather cheaply priced too. Come talk beer in name Name your drink! thread. Return this topic to it's normal chatter.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140093&page=1&pp=15

12. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

Chimay is a wonderful beer (when I can afford it)....we only have it in 1 Liter sizes for about US$7. Haven't tried Mild...will keep an eye out for it.