Confed Cup: Refs to use ear pieces

Discussion in 'Referee' started by JohnW, Jun 18, 2003.

1. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    I usually try to stay out of your way, but I thought this was interesting and did not see this on another thread.

http://www.fifa.com/en/display/article,70046.html

"For the first time in an official FIFA competition these custodians of the beautiful game will be testing earpieces as a means of communicating with one another in the heat of the action..."

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will work if all members of the referee crew are fluent in a common language. Certainly this was the case in the Columbia France match, since the officials were all from Portugal. It will not always be the case so let's see how well it works.

3. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well looking at the crews (and they are working fixed three man crews this tournament, right) it looks like only the AFC crew will have any serious issues (An Iranian and a Japanese ref, that would be an interesting conversation).

I started a separate thread specifically about the France v. Colombia game (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55683) but it looks like the radio may have been used to good measure in that game.

4. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    I think this is a step in the right direction!

it will one day be implemented in club games and they wont have problems there since the refs are from the same country.

5. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    This is pretty awesome and a hell of a lot better than the "beeper" flags they used in WC98. This should greatly improve communication between Refs but my only beef is that the 4th official should have one too.

6. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're like most IFBs they won't work very often. :)

7. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Can someone explain to a non-referee what the idea behind this is? How will being able to talk to one another "in the heat of action" result in better refereeing?

The center already has the ability to wave off an AR's call, and this system only allows the center to initiate a conversation.

Any help would be appreciated.

8. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    How much time do you have??? There is a myriad of situations in which a Center would benifit from being able to hear from his assistant. I will list only one and let my colleages chip in.
    Assistants often see and hear things behind the play that the center misses. A short word like "watch #8 behind you, he is about to kick the defender" would allow the reff to perhaps turn around and prevent something before it actually happens.

9. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    I misread the article the first time. I thought it meant that only the center could initiate conversation. Instead, the AR must push a button to say something but can initiate nevertheless.

Now I see how it could be helpful.

Thanks.