Conf Semis 1st Leg :: Chicago @ DC United, Sat 1 Nov, 6.30p CT [Pregame]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by HalaMadrid, Oct 27, 2003.

1. DCU9ted

DCU9ted New Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Rockville
    Trolling? What are you saying? Noobody has put up any predictions so Im curious..Chill out..

2. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I didn't realize that Boca and Armas missed so many of the regular season matches with DC. That helps. Razov has been historically anemic against United, but at the same time, Mike Petke is not as good as he thinks he is, as evidenced by actually letting Preki score with his right foot last week. And if Ivanov plays, we win. It's just that simple. The guy is just not good, and had trouble with Carey Freakin' Talley last week. DMB will eat him for lunch, and hopefully put on some pounds in doing so. Some DC fans have been projecting lineups without Ivanov in it, but I don't know if that's wishful thinking or many returns from suspensions and injuries from the KC match.

DC's defense just isn't very good. Ours is.

Later,
    COZ

3. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    T minus 28 hrs and counting

So, Dave's got no serious injuries and no suspensions. He'll get to choose his fave 11, and therefore whatever formation he prefers. I wish I had some way of comparing our results with the formation used, but half the time those morons on MLS wrap get the formation wrong anyway...

my guess is we see:

Razov - Ralph

Beasley-Armas-Marsch-Whitfield

Bocanegra-Curtin-Gray

Thornton

you may notice a missing player there - I've been wrangling this in my head all day, and I can't even hazard a guess about who that 11th player will be: Perez in the back outside of Carflos in the 4-4-2?
    Mapp on the left, pushing Bease inside of a 3-5-2? Mapp or Jaqua on the right in midfield, Whitfield at right back in a 3-5-2? Shock start from Brown at right full in eiuther formation?

Any ideas? I'm pretty confident that you could throw me on the field with the ten players above and still come out of DC with a draw, but does anyone whos been paying closer attention have a sense of which direction Sarachan might go with his full roster and essentially 2 weeks to prepare?

m

4. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Three forwards, Razov, Ralph and Dip!

5. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Re: T minus 28 hrs and counting

Agreed
    Have no clue what Dave will do, but this seemed like an interesting solution and one I had considered as a possibility too.

6. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    ...hmmmm - who came up with those lineups, I wonder - Hudson has already said he won't start Stoitchkov (of course, Hristo may have threatened his way back into the first 11 by now).

That said, I agree that this is a likely scenario - especially given Mapp's lack of experience and defensive shortcomings and the situation - initial road leg of home-and-home tie. My beef with that is, while Mapp rarely comes back effectively on D, and often loses his place, Perez rarely goes forward well, and gets beat easily one-on-one. I think you're right, I just wish you weren't... Perez just makes me too nervous for words.

m

7. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think I had nothing to do with it. And so what if Hudson said Hristo wouldn't start, you don't think he's pulling every string to try and outthink Dave? He's starting a rookie goalie who has yet to win a game with one of his top offensive threats out with a knee injury and a quality defender out for the entire season limiting himself to slower players, he's going to use everything he can to get to the second round.

8. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    From USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/columnist/dure/2003-10-31-dure_x.htm
    Home playoff attendances:
    Q2: 9434 (v New England)

Q1: 8314 (v Dallas)
    Q3: 12811
    S1: 10388 (v Los Angeles)
    S3: 13444

Q1: 10476 (v New England)
    Q3: 5972
    S1: 7141 (v Metrostars)
    S3: 10133

Q2: 13197 (v Dallas)

Q1: 12610 (v Colorado)
    S2: 32744 (v Los Angeles)

9. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Re: T minus 28 hrs and counting

If CJ is healthy, he's still ahead of Gray on the depth chart, so I'll say...

G Thornton
    D Brown Curtin Bocanegra
    M Whitfield Marsch Armas Beasley Perez/Mapp
    F Razov Ralph

My guess is Perez on the road, Mapp at home, with Williams on deck to replace either and slot DMB out left if we need more offense. AW also a not-quite-long shot to start in my book.

Later,
    COZ

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    ...and my guess at the correct DCU lineup is:

G Warren
    D Petke Nelsen Prideaux
    M Stewart Kovalenko Convey Etcheverry Namoff
    F Cerritos Martins

-Stoichkov will be a sub.
    -It's possible that Ivanov starts as a defender in a 442 with Namoff sitting and Convey on the left.

-Stewart starts at right wing to deal as best he can with Beasley. Any other possible starter there would be a silly mismatch.

11. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Gray sucks on defense.

12. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My Prediction

2-1 Fire win.

First step toward the TRUE Double!

13. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Brown looked a little off last game, though. But then, who didn't...

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone doing pbp?

15. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    the PbP is...Williams with a superb first-time volley from about 22 out, beats Warren...

1-0 Fire, with one of the best goals of the season.

16. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will if you like.

Williams 3'. Unbelievable volley from about 25 yards. 1-0 Fire

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    shoulda been a yellow there - nelsen takes a chunk out of razov

18. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9' Good save on Razov.

19. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11--Beasley works a shot from the outside---easy save.

20. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cerrito's equalizes, but it's called offside.

Still 1-0.

Yellow to Hristo for dissent.

21. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please people. If you're going to do a PBP put an R in the thread title. Please. Either that, or refrain from posting scorees on this thread

22. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foxsports world isn't coming in!!!! says "One Moment Please" WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE GAME?

23. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    It's half time. No score change. The Fire outshooting DC by 11 to 3. Valenzuela being pretty liberal with cards having given out 5 already: 2 Fire - Marsch and Beasley! (Beasley for taking out Kovalenko, if you can believe that) and 3 DC.

24. At the half FIRE playing 11 against 12 as Ricardo Valenzuela pulls everything imaginable out of his ass except his head. Starting in the first minute with failing to card a typical Kovalenko hack on Williams, on to lots of heel nipping and hacks from behind by DC defenders waved on, and finishing with dubious bookings to Marsch & Beasley at the end of the half, Valenzuela is declaring hacking season on FIRE players is open in RFK. He even pulled three minutes of stoppage time out of his ass. Even with all the help the center ref could give, DC barely troubled Zach. Beasley and Ralph (twice) missed gilt edge opportunities to extend a lead in a half that was owned by the visitors. Methinks we don't finish 11 on 11 here.