Condi says Saddam never disarmed

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Father Ted, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...p/20031008/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_iraq_offensive

"Saddam Hussein continued to harbor ambitions to threaten the world with weapons of mass destruction and to hide his illegal weapons activity"

OK so, where are the wmd's?

"...the weapons inspectors had found strong evidence of materials and equipment that could have been used to produce weapons of mass destruction"

hmmm, ok

"We have no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in the Sept. 11 attacks," Rice said. Still, she added, the possibility that the Iraqi leader could be behind another attack "beyond the scale of 9-11 ... could not be put aside."

Thats kind of like saying Beckham and Zidane could have at one time played for the Metrostars.
    My word, the incompetence is alarming...

2. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    And now she's in charge of post-war strategy.

3. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I'm sure it'll include Chevron.

4. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Did you notice the word "ambitions" as in I have ambitions to be a millionaire, but the fact that I can't produce a million dollars to show you right now, does not mean I do not have those ambitions.

You have also changed the tense of the last comment from future to past.

If I reworded your last sentence in the correct tense it would be.

"Beckham and Zidane could some day play for the Metrostars."

And indeed that is a probably a good analogy to Saddam Hussein and terrorism.

5. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Are you going to play word games again?

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) told a foreign policy forum in Chicago that the team led by chief U.S. weapons hunter David Kay "is finding proof that Iraq never disarmed and never complied with U.N. inspectors."

In fact, she suggested, if the U.N. Security Council knew last winter what Kay's group has uncovered now, it never would have rejected the U.S. call for war."

C'mon Condi, site some evidence. Give us a source. Show us the money!!!

All she is doing is reiterating the as of yet unsubstantiated claims that Saddam was an imminent threat to US security. More of the same garbage, a spin campaign by an administration that is looking more and more desperate in their attempts to justify the costs (in dollars and lives) of this war to our nation.

7. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    This spin, along with Powells Op/Ed in the Post on Monday leaves me to believe one thing:

Saddam didnot have WMDs. He wanted WMDs, but did not have the ability to acquire or produce them. Our sources, Chalabi, et al., just twisted the facts around and fed the admin a line. Now they're trying to cover themselves.

On a similar note, I read somewhere last week that his own scientists were screwing him. They knew Saddam wanted WMDs so they would ask for $10 million to acquire this or build that and simply stick the money in their pocket. All they were really doing was providing Saddam with bogus progress reports.

8. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
  9. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. See the sig.

10. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If you want to run this analogy into the ground, then by Bush's reasoning, we should be taxing you at the highest income tax rate because you hope someday to become a millionaire.

11. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post.

12. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    If you want to call this the most incredible attempt to spin I have ever seen, I wouldn't disagree. I just don't like to see people change the tense of someones comments and insinuate that they have said something that they did not say.

13. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Well I've never seen you play, but if the Mutts wil let Kenny Arena play, than that may not be to far fetched.

14. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Good point, and it is part of the reason I think the administration is stupid for continuing to argue over the past, and not try to shift the focus on current conditions in Iraq and the future plans. Unfortunately I don't have the entire context of Rice's speech, so I don't know if this was one brief remark out of a long speach that did address the present and the future.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent rebuttal. Got me to chuckle.

16. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I imagine they would probably like to, but they've got that pesky problem of explaining why they either a) lied about reasons for going to war or b) were so easily suckered into using bogus intl as reasons for going to war.

17. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    She has to be toeing her boss' official line. or she would undo the lies of the Bush administration.

18. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Condi Rice hasn't shown herself capable of undoing a shoelace, let alone the biggest-ball-of-twine-in-Minnesota-sized knot of lies the Bush administration has spewed over the past 3 years.

19. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's obvious the weapons were moved out of Iraq. Look to the Bekka Valley.

20. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    obvious like rumsfeld's assertion during the war that they were around baghdad and tikrit?

21. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    California here we come!

22. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    That would presume that they have any future plans. Well, other than the general "Let's soak Congress for as much as we can to line the pockets of Halliburton and Bechtel, and then before we leave, saddle the Iraqi oil industry with some long-term contracts to provide oil to certain US companies at very favourable rates, for about ... say ... 99 years" plan.

23. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Kay: Saddam sent 'convoys' to Syria in months before war

Wednesday, October 8, 2003

AMMAN — The head of the U.S. team investigating Iraqi weapons of mass destruction said the Saddam regime sent convoys of Iraqi equipment to Syria in the months prior to the U.S.-led war in Iraq in March.

David Kay, the head of the U.S. team, said his inspectors have not been able to determine the contents of the convoys.

Kay also said his group has learned from Iraqi nationals that the Saddam regime prepared fuel for Scud missiles during 2002. He said this activity indicated that Iraq's military retained Scud missiles banned by the United Nations.

"Scud missile fuel is only useful in Scud missiles," Kay said. "No other class of missiles that Iraq has. And yet, Iraq declared that it got rid of all its scud missiles in the early 1990s. Why would you continue to produce Scud missile fuel if you didn't have Scuds?"

As for the convoys, Kay said "the equipment that we're after and the information we have relates to things that were clearly illegal to sell to Iraq. This is illegal procurement; it's not something that could have other uses. They shouldn't have had it."

Report: U.S suspects Iraqi WMD in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley

U.S. intelligence suspects Iraq's weapons of mass destruction have finally been located.

Unfortunately, getting to them will be nearly impossible for the United States and its allies, because the containers with the strategic materials are not in Iraq.

Instead they are located in Lebanon's heavily-fortified Bekaa Valley, swarming with Iranian and Syrian forces, and Hizbullah and ex-Iraqi agents, Geostrategy-Direct.com will report in Wednesday's new weekly edition.

U.S. intelligence first identified a stream of tractor-trailer trucks moving from Iraq to Syria to Lebaon in January 2003. The significance of this sighting did not register on the CIA at the time.

U.S. intelligence sources believe the area contains extended-range Scud-based missiles and parts for chemical and biological warheads.

24. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Let's see that was in March....i think Iraqis have trucks.....just maybe in the time from March to now they drove some bad bad things from Iraq to Lebanon through Syria.

Bah! That's just NOT POSSIBLE!

25. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    The Hindustan Times didn't have the "scoop",
    this time?
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75275

Interesting site,this World Tribune.com.
    I like their link to Cosmic Tribune.com, on the
    front page:
    http://www.cosmictribune.com/ct/
    Interesting articles, such as "Conservative
    Episcopalians take a stand"..."EXTRATERRESTRIAL:
    ET civilizations: How advanced can they get?"...

"Cool" stuff...