Concession's

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by srosenbery, Apr 29, 2008.

1. S.Bones

S.Bones Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Glendora, CA
    I want to honor what you guys are doing, but aren't you being self-contradictory here?

Why raise the food issue with the Galaxy FO if they have "...nothing to do with concessions and pricing"?

If the Galaxy can influence AEG's choices with concessions, then your statement doesn't make sense. If not, we're wasting our time. That said, I don't think this is a waste, because it's pretty clear to me that the distinction between AEG and the Galaxy becomes very blurry when it is in the corporation's interest yet becomes very precise when it would work to our advantage.

2. Galaxy Steve

Galaxy Steve Member

Jun 15, 2007
    PASADENA AREA
    Bones:
    AEG is an umbrella corporation owned by one person Phil Anchutz. The HDC and the LA Galaxy are two separate companies owned by AEG, each has it's own management staff. The LA Galaxy is a tenant of the HDC as are several other companies. The HDC is the "boss" of the concessions which serve the Galaxy, Chivas, tennis, Boxing, concerts, etc. at the stadium, as fans we are the customers of the concessions. The "tenants" Galaxy and Chivas are certainly listened to by the HDC but do not have final say in contracts with the concession vendors.
    Our meeting next week is with the Manager and managing staff of the HDC (at their request) to talk about improvements that will make the fan's experience a better one. Note that a better experience will result in more $s for the vendors, the tenants, the HDC, AND AEG. My angle on all of this is to propose win-win improvements; we get a better experience, they get more $s... simple.

Thank you all for your input!
    Steve Lesse
    Ambassador
    LA Galaxy

3. S.Bones

S.Bones Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Glendora, CA
    I am well aware of the corporate structure of AEG, as I alluded to in my post.

My point is that the Galaxy and AEG seem to trot this out when it is to their advantage.

This distinction between HDC and the Galaxy is not a given fact. A given fact is something like the speed of light in a vaccuum being 299792458 meters per second, or that the ball is round and the game is ninety minutes. Rather the HDC/LAG distinction is a choice made by AEG, and they are free to determine just how closely related or how separate those two entities are.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but if we are merely renters, why are we bothering with the Galaxy FO? We should be banding together with the other "renters" to demand better service from AEG/HDC.

But again, I don't think that the Galaxy are merely renters in the AEG structure, and I think you guys would be better advocates for us if you treated the HDC/LAG distinction for what it is - a convenient construct used to AEG's advantage and not a given fact.

All honor to you guys for what you're doing.

4. Galaxy Steve

Galaxy Steve Member

Jun 15, 2007
    PASADENA AREA
    Fair enough! And our relationship with AEG certainly is different than that of the other renters who are not owned by AEG. Although I must tell you that that the relationship between LAG, HDC, and AEG in many ways is quite difficult and hard to understand from a profit making business standpoint.
    We are dealing with a VERY VERY successful entertainment business and the fact that they want our (the fans) input and want to meet with the idea of discussing improvements makes me very hopeful. It would be very easy for this branch of a multi billion $ company (AEG) to just say "we know everything about what we are doing and don't need to listen at all..."

-Steve L.

5. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Re: Concessions

There was a time when I grabbed something from the concession stands. The food is nothing special and is overpriced and with the rising ticket prices and parking prices I am especially sensitive to that on an emotional level -I feel like I'm getting ripped off and would be foolish to vote with my dollars for anything that I don't really care about. What I care about is the soccer game and the fan experience. And so most importantly with the concessions is that it is impossible to get something without missing the game.

I now rarely buy anything from the concession stands. At this point even if all of the problems were fixed, I personally wouldn't be trying it anytime soon.

6. srosenbery

srosenbery New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Perris, Ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Keep them coming. Short time before meeting. I want all the ammo I can get.

7. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to attend this meeting with you. Any chance?

8. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to show up to this meeting armed with a fresh BWHD. :D

9. Jr Galaxy

Jr Galaxy New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Covina,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes buy a beer, but last time they didnt know how to pour a beer without tons of foam, the cashier just said sorry and expected me to pay 8 bucks for it. I said no thanks! I usually show up early and buy and a local burger joint then enjoy the game.

10. srosenbery

srosenbery New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Perris, Ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Steve R. and I had our meeting with the HDC Management staff yesterday. We met with the GM, the Assistant GM, the Director of Operations, the Director of Security, the Director of Parking, the Head Chef for Levy, and the Manager of Levy Operations for the HDC. The main item that I can report on is that the HDC Management takes the fan experience and our input very seriously. ALL in attendance want improvement. While we covered many subjects the other items I can report on are:
    1) The Director of Concessions at the HDC was not present because they are being replaced!
    2) The HDC has obtained permission for, and has ordered from, the City of Carson the installation of manual override control of the traffic lights around the HDC. This will certainly help create much better traffic control to and from the Stadium. Amazing fact that this was a real battle as was expressly not permitted in the original HDC use permit!
    3) Security personnel are being brought "in house". In the past it appears that much of the Security staffing was done on an outside vendor temp basis so many of the security personnel have been there only for one game. Having the same staff for each game will make for a much better environment.
    4) Concession staffing is being bolstered by the addition of many experienced staffers from other local venues such as Staples Center.
    5) The HDC will have a member of their Management Staff attend the monthly meetings that we have with the Galaxy FO.

Positive change is coming!

See you at the Game on Saturday!

Steve Lesse
    Ambassador
    LA GALAXY

11. srosenbery

srosenbery New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Perris, Ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And I will add that I went into this meeting not expecting much. When I am wrong, I am wrong. I found the entire staff of HDC as interested in the fan experience as we are. They were very interested in the comments of the fans and are working hard to make any and all changes that they can. Extremely positive people with a real concern in the opinions of the Galaxy fans. Hats off to Rod O'Conner and his staff. Class act.

12. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent! Thanks for reporting back on it.

13. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Right on.. this has been a concern of mine for some time and was beginning to think that I'd have to boycott the stadium food b/c of its poor quality, so this is reassuring to hear. I look forward to said positive changes and am keeping an open mind, however, if I detect the same quality stuff that we've been getting, well then, I'm spending my dollars elsewhere

14. srosenbery

srosenbery New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Perris, Ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Let's keep in mind that any change takes time. The fact that they are concerned and showing an interest in the Fans comments and are willing to identify problems is a big step. They were very interested in making the fan experience at HDC a good one. I like to think that I can tell when someone is just going through the motions. The staff of HDC was sincere. Lets give them the time and support to make the positive changes. This is a good group of people.

15. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    My advice - keep it simple, like this:

[​IMG]

It's better to have a bunch of stalls where the choice is limited to a handful of items than multiple choice stands where the process is too complicated for temp workers.

Plus, Cumberland sausage . . .mmmmmmmm!

16. primality

primality New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The Rose Bowl
    The terrible food food isn't an issue that has just come up. I thought there would be an improvement over last year, but it seems like things have gotten worse. Change is long overdue.

17. primality

primality New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The Rose Bowl
    Re: Concessions

After paying for tickets and parking you shouldn't have to go out of your way to avoid eating at the game. Concessions are part of the experience.

Issues that are still coming up:

Cold food
    Running out of food items
    Running out of beer/Flat Beer
    Taps pouring different kind of beer
    Credit card machines unavailable
    Signs posted with items that are not being served
    Grills that are not being utilized
    Nachos Camachos that they wouldn't dare serve at Staples Center
    Bad Service