Concacaf's Teams in the WC

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Concacaf, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Concacaf

Concacaf New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Nürnberg, Germany
    How do you all think we did during the World Cup.

This is my opinion:

Costa Rica: The only team which didnt qualified to the 2nd round. Played in what could be considered the real group of death, Brazil 1st and Turkey 3rd. Might had produced the most exciting football of the three. Played all out against Brazil (they had no option) but drew the short rnd of the stick. Overall grade B

Mexico: Qualified first in their group. They had Italy against the ropes until the last seconds of the game. Displayed great football, great improvement and showed that they can always perform at the highest level during the important competitions. Overall grade. B+

USA: Very smart football, not too beautiful but the most productive. Took advantage of Portugal's hesitation and scored 3 on them. Historic defeat of archrival Mexico. Some problems agaisnt Poland and Korean, but it was enough to get through..a well fought quarterfinals against Germany. Overall grade: A

**** PLEASE LETS ALL STICK TO FOOTBALL HERE!!**** It has been one month since the world cup is over.. I hope we can now start thinking with our heads.. lets keep it clean

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I think you rated the teams fairly. I think Costa Rica was probably the team that played the best in the first round that didn't make it out of their group, although that point could be argued.

This was probably the best combined effort from the CONCACAF ever in a World Cup.

3. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Downgrade the US to A- or B+, because of the performance at the Poland game. We needed a draw to gaurantee advancement and were fortunate that South Korea beat Portugal. Some of the US players even said they thought they were kicked out of the tournament. Don't get me wrong though, out of the performances of the 4 teams in the group the US was 2nd overall. I just don't think they deserve a flat out A, because they could've done things better.

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Agreed. All things considered, Mexico played better in their group stage than we did, amassing 7 points against stiffer competition.

However, if Donovan's goal in the 4th minute against Poland had counted, it would have been a different game.

Sachin

5. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator New Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Costa Rica

They played average footy at best. failed to make their presence be felt by playing it safe against China. Their best performance came against Turkey in an entertaining game but they later failed miserably against Brazil. they exited the cup with Their asses handed to them (5-2)

Overall Rating: <red>"D"</red>

Mexico

Great game against Croatia neutralizing their attack and capitalizing in their best chance. Then they put out a solid performance against Ecuador coming from behind to win the match. Their last game against Italy was well played as they came close to eliminating them from the World Cup..

Overall Rating B+

U.S.A

Their first half against Portugal was the best footy they played in the first round, after that they were just plain lucky. Korea could have beaten them just as easily as Poland did.

Overall Rating: C-

Round of 16

In the second Round the U.S with a very good tactical game outplayed their rivals and advanced to the next round.

Overall Rating:

Mexico "D"

U.S.A "B"

Quaterfinals

This is hard to grade. The U.S played very good and could have beaten Germany but we are not grading "If's".. Germany played like they always do and took advantage of their best Oportunity to win the game. The U.S went down Swinging landing face up.

Overall Rating "B"

6. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    I think Smooth Operator is being too harsh regarding Costa Rica, but otherwise is right on. Costa Rica's draw was tough, and they almost advanced anyway.

The real question for me is, how would Honduras have done? I think they could play respectably, and that Concacaf deserves another half-spot.

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I pretty much agree with what you say so I'll just point out a few minor differences of opinion.

(1) Costa Rica was outsmarted by Brazil. They should have bunkered and hoped that Brazil got bored or lazy. There was 0% chance that CR could out Brazil, Brazil. 5-2.
    (2) The USA draw with Korea was a considerable accomplishment and should't be lumped in with the Poland match.

Overall grade:

Costa Rica C+ Losing by three goals is bad, very bad. Otherwise, an outstanding Cup. Maybe a B-.
    USA A-. Maybe a B+, but you can't argue with making the QFs
    Mexico B. Someone needs to explain to Mexico that the World Cup doesn't end with the first round. We know Mexico is capable of more, but they don't seem to have the fire.

8. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Wow Smooth, thats a little heavy on the US... though I understand your point C- in the first round??? Jeez the Portuagal game alone gave them a C+ regarless of other results. Also, remember that regardless of the Korea match style the US did score first and regardless of SKorea's persisting runs their lack of skill certainly was evident. The US certainly deserved a tie against one of the Host teams. As far as the Poland match, as someone already mentioned the anulment of a perfectly legit Donovan goal(and subsequent suprise restart and goal) may have been all the difference in that match.... A match that mind you the US dominated the midfield throughout(Just like South Korea did against the US) with over 65% field posession but just could not sink enough goals to make a difference.

As far as the Mexico and Germany matches they deserved at least B+ each with an exellent gameplan and execution against Mexico and a "triuphant" loss agaist the Germans where the US played the better game regardless of result against a formidable foe.