CONCACAF Women's Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Gaetjens38, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Gaetjens38

Gaetjens38 New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    The Women's Gold Cup is scheduled for November in the U.S. Anybody heard rumors as to where it's going to be played? No announcement from CONCACAF or US Soccer yet, as far as I know.

2. OverWhichHill?

Apr 26, 2001
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wow... 15 year old necro. Is that a record?

blissett repped this.
  5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was so confused for like the first 30 seconds..... lol

Kevin625 repped this.
  6. tiaotnszn

tiaotnszn Member

Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Thinking more about the new Gold Cup, I think it could really benefit the US if the roster rules are similar to several of the men's Gold Cups where they allowed roster replacement between the group stage and knockout stage.

In 2015 and 2017, they allowed replacement of up to 6 players between the stages. If that rule is used, we would basically be able to bring our top 29 players (23 roster + 6 replacements). Given that 3 have to be GKs, we could bring up to 26 different field players.

The smart strategy that our men used once was to keep some of the best players off the initial 23 and bring them on as the 6 replacements for the knockout stage. With a 23 player roster and only 3 games in the group stage, we could probably even sit most of the guaranteed Olympic players who aren't in the 6 replacements and let the bubble players handle the first 3 games.

That would allow us to have competitive games (in that its tournament style, not necessarily that its close) for the bubble players and a couple final games against high level competition (assuming the 4 invites are good teams) for the Olympic starters to get into form.

kolabear repped this.