CONCACAF WCQ Appointments [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 9, 2021.

1. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

The first goal comes from that aggressive attack. A double edged sword to play timid for him.

2. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

Lol. That's what 4th Officials are for.

Dayton Ref repped this.
  3. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

If I am USA I would continue to foul until the referee starts pulling cards.

Shorten. The. Game.

Thegreatwar repped this.
  4. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    +4? I’ll take it though.

5. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    And to cap it all off no caution for the ridiculous time wasting on the final throw in lol

6. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    At least he was consistent......no blood, no foul......

7. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Hernandez gave out 10 YC's total in two matches at the Gold Cup, so not giving out any cards tonight seems atypical for him.

8. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    I'm actually quite disappointed in Fernando Hernández reading these comments this morning.

He was really excellent in Qatar vs. El Salvador with a proper use of disciplinary sanctions, sophisticated leadership style etc. I thought he was different to the other Mexicans! Like, a genuine talent.

And now to read he pulls off an Escobar-performance (zero cards last night for him too); it's sad. And it makes me genuinely wonder - how does CONCACAF assess performances like QATSLV?

It's the same as Barton in CANMTQ - personally, I can't fault these really good performances with a great approach to disciplinary measures, but when Escobar is treated as your shining light, I guess CONCACAF do criticise them (?).

Otherwise, I struggle to find an explanation for why Hernández would referee like last night's match when he can do so much better. Very sad state of affairs indeed; #HallOut :).

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I wonder if extra pressure was put on (or felt by) refs not to caution because of the 2 caution suspension in a 14 game cycle? While he called a lot of fouls, I also thought there should have been more called (against both teams). It didn't feel consistent to me--except that there was a much lower foul bar for attackers trying to regain possession in the attacking third than for others. And I'm giving up trying to figure out added time.

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even as a US fan, I was absolutely astounded that Acosta did not get a yellow. I counted about 3 professional fouls to stop offensive breakaways.

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Well, we tell players to adapt to what the ref is calling . . .

Thegreatwar repped this.
  12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the standard CONCACAF high bar for yellows (especially SPA and PO) gets magnified with the absurd 2 yellow rule.

We keep having these ideas for how to make the game better. Major tweaks to offside, making the goals bigger, and who knows what else. How about we start by actually cautioning players for tactical fouling? It might make a significant difference.

13. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    During the match I made a comment with a friend that was something like “God Bless Kellyn Acosta. He’s learned how CONCACAF works and that’s to continuously foul without fear of any real penalty.”

Thegreatwar, JasonMa and IASocFan repped this.
  14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, Acosta is the king of s***housery on the USMNT. He's a "CONCACAFing" Best XI choice without question.

I've said the same thing about persistence and tactical fouling as @code1390 . It seems like these items have been stricken from whatever rule book referees at the top levels are following. It's not called in the Premier League either. Just seems weird that while the powers that be want games to flow, that they are not bothering to sanction something that most assuredly does NOT make a game flow one iota.

Lloyd Heilbrunn and JasonMa repped this.
  15. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    With only a year and two months left until WC22, do we know who are the actual candidate referees? The last pre-selected list was released before Covid, but I think there could be some changes due to retirements or performances within the last 18 months. Any info about the Concacaf candidates or other changes?

16. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nation's performance, widely panned here, was probably good enough to keep him plausibly on the list. Elfath's stock is high, but he is always prone to misapplication of the laws at critical moments, and one of those could hurt him.

Not CONCACAF related, but I heard the South African referee who was pre-selected (Gomes) was dropped and Mohammed (EGY) replaced him. Actually, the list from CAF will probably only be half the same as the one released pre-COVID, and I believe that Tessema (ETH) jumped from VAR to the R list, basically by popular demand. So at least CAF (if not other confederations) has made significant changes. There might be another thread on this somewhere though here on BigSoccer..

17. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Actually, according to the latest online info, it seems that the only change on the CAF list is Sikazwe (ZAM) replacing Mohamed (EGY).

CAF Prospective Referees - February 2020 (https://refereeingworld.blogspot.com/2020/02/prospective-referees-for-fifa-world-cup_25.html):
    1. Mustapha Ghorbal (ALG, 1985)
    2. Ndala Ngambo (COD, 1987)
    3. Amin Mohamed (EGY, 1985)
    4. Bamlak Tessema (ETH, 1980)
    5. Bakary Gassama (GAM, 1979)
    6. Redouane Jiyed (MAR, 1979)
    7. Victor Gomes (RSA, 1982)
    8. Maguette N’Diaye (SEN, 1986)

CAF Pre-selected Referees - September 2021:
    1. Mustapha Ghorbal (ALG, 1985)
    2. Ndala Ngambo (COD, 1987)
    3. Bamlak Tessema (ETH, 1980)
    4. Bakary Gassama (GAM, 1979)
    5. Redouane Jiyed (MAR, 1979)
    6. Victor Gomes (RSA, 1982)
    7. Maguette N’Diaye (SEN, 1986)
    8. Janny Sikazwe (ZAM, 1979)

In February 2020, the 8 Concacaf prospective referees were:
    1. Ricardo Montero (CRC, 1986)
    2. Mario Escobar (GUA, 1986)
    3. Said Martinez (HON, 1991)
    4. Adonai Escobedo (MEX, 1987)
    5. Cesar Ramos (MEX, 1983)
    6. Ivan Barton (SLV, 1991)
    7. Ismail Elfath (USA, 1982)
    8. Jair Marrufo (USA, 1977)
    Not sure whether Escobedo is now on the pre-selected list or he was replaced with someone else?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  18. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes me wonder why Sikazwe wasn’t on the list to begin with. I presumed he had retired because I thought he was excellent in Russia.

On the CONCACAF side of things, it’s a really tough list. I think I’m unbiased here, because I’ve long expressed doubts about Elfath, but it’s hard to see a scenario where both Americans don’t go right now. Escobar appears a lock if Hall has any say. And the top Mexican has to go. If you presume that’s Ramos, then maybe there’s room for Barton? And that might be as a reserve. I don’t see how Montero and Martinez are in serious consideration, given their completion and their performances. And I definitely don’t see how a second Mexican makes it.

jarbitro repped this.
  19. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Sikazwe was temporarily suspended by CAF in November 2018 due to corruption charges (https://www.kingfut.com/2018/11/20/janny-sikazwe-suspended-by-caf/) that were later dropped and he was allowed to return.

20. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize that politics and someone in your corner is as important as your actual refereeing ability, but it will be a real shame if Barton is a reserve or not going at all. He's just so much better than Escobar that it isn't even funny. Every time I watch an Escobar match, I keep thinking it's teetering on the edge of chaos. I've maybe watched one Barton match where that's happened. The sadder thing about Escobar is that since Hall likes him and puts him on big CONCACAF matches, the rest of the referees see "this is the way" and officiate like that.

Not criticizing you at all or even your logic, because I think it's very sound. It's just a shame that a guy who simply isn't a very good referee is likely going to represent CONCACAF at a World Cup and going to make our region look poor.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Look” poor?

I hear what you’re saying. But I don’t see another route aside from Barton being #5 right now. Also remember that Guatemala not being in the Octagonal means Escobar will be free for big matches at the end. That could help, but it could also hurt. So it is fair to say his place is not guaranteed. The spotlight will be on him more than any other referee in CONCACAF when the chips are really down in the spring.

22. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    WCQ MD5: Costa Rica - El Salvador: Martinez (HON).
    WCQ MD6: Honduras - Jamaica: Bryan Lopez (GUA) with his brother Walter Lopez (GUA) as FO.

MassachusettsRef and IASocFan repped this.
  23. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    WCQ MD4: Mexico - Canada: Barton (SLV)
    WCQ MD4: Honduras - Costa Rica: Escobar (GUA)
    WCQ MD5: Mexico - Honduras: Elfath (USA)

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barton with a pretty big match there, which is nice to see. Escobar's also could end up being pretty important once all the dust settles--and might be fun either way.

At this point, it can't be a coincidence that a referee never works a team that his home nation plays on the next match day. All announced or leak assignments hold to that rule.

So, that means if Marrufo is working in October, it can only be Jamaica v Canada or Canada v Panama. Maybe the latter makes sense for him? I find it hard to believe that Marrufo would not be used until at least Matchday 7. Then again, it's also weird that Elfath will see Mexico twice within four games. So who knows? Guess we'll find out soon!

25. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    WCQ MD4: El Salvador - Panama: Nation (JAM)
    WCQ MD5: Panama - USA: Ramos (MEX)
    WCQ MD6: Canada - Panama: Villarreal (USA)

IASocFan and MassachusettsRef repped this.