CONCACAF WCQ Appointments [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 9, 2021.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Torres becomes the second Octagonal referee who wasn't named as a Gold Cup referee, right? Herrera being the other. (as we've gone over, Radix and Fischer both named, but they were done with the final playoffs and didn't participate at group stage)

Luc-Lauziere, Pineda, Montano, Bassue, Saghafi and Vazquez are the other TARP referees who were at Gold Cup as fourth officials. Maybe Bassue snags a late whistle as a political move, but I can't see the others sneaking in since there are referees from their own countries ahead of them.

Actually, consistent with my mistake above, I forgot Walter Lopez was left out of the Gold Cup roster completely. So there are technically three non-Gold Cup referees who have got Octagonal whistles. But Lopez is a special case, given his pedigree.

2. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Americans Chilowicz and Dickerson were chosen for the Concacaf U-20 qualifying tournament. Vasquez used to get appointments like this and he was added to the FIFA list shortly after, so this could be the stepping stone for them as well.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve heard Dickerson is on and Chilowicz is a bit of an open question, for what it’s worth. Sort of a trial run here, is my understanding. That’s not usually how this works, of course, so my intel might be wrong. But then again, it’s CONCACAF.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  4. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Some of the referees selected for the U20 are candidates for the 2022 FIFA List, while others are new on that list. In the last 2-3 years, Concacaf actually started to use their youth tournaments for such trials.

gold4278 repped this.
  5. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Richardson and Kieso are also at that same tournament

6. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    It's about time for looking at new names.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you, because I've heard the same thing elsewhere. But isn't the timing on this weird? I don't have the circular handy, but I believe federations have had to formally submit their nominations at this point.

So, taking the case of Chilowicz... is he on the USSF nomination submission and then could get vetoed at the last second because of... a CONCACAF youth tournament? That just seems bizarre.

8. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    I agree with you that the timing is weird, but, in 2019, for example, there was at least one referee and one AR who were nominated by their federation, but then Concacaf vetoed their nomination and they had to wait another year to eventually get their badges.

9. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    MD7
    CAN-CRC: Elfath (USA)
    MD8
    CRC-HON: Marrufo (USA)

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tea leaf reading commence. Which one is "bigger?"

On paper, Elfath would have it. But I think I would argue Marrufo has the tougher match--particularly if Costa Rica is coming off a loss in Edmonton, that could be akin to an elimination game (or as close to it as reasonably possible this early). Alternatively, if Costa Rica and Honduras both get results on MD7, it's a huge battle in its own right. Still a lot of moving parts in the table so I'd lean toward the environment and traditional rivalry over table positioning right now.

Relatedly, I think it's okay to point out now that this assignment for Marrufo, coupled with his Arab Cup appointment, means he will not feature in MLS Cup Playoffs at all. He'll be in Costa Rica through the 17th and I believe has to be in Qatar by the 24th or so. I don't know all the details, but I imagine with travel requirements/restrictions, PRO just didn't think a first round assignment was feasible. So one of PRO's top-performing referees is completley off-the-table for playoffs, which is less than ideal.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now just waiting on Canada-Mexico and Jamaica-United States.

Seems like some combination of Escobar and a Costa Rican referee makes the most sense, unless Escobar is getting a rest this international window.

12. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Barton is losing control of this

13. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    That was a choice right there.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s had complete control until a few minutes ago. But that is, by far, the worst I’ve ever seen from Barton in a major incident. Totally unacceptable. That should have ended with a VC red card to the Mexican and nothing else. Instead, his inaction and unwillingness to make a big decision resulted in two yellow cards to the team that should be up a man. Horrendous.

SouthRef, rh89, ifsteve and 4 others repped this.
  15. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s CONCACAF. You gouge eyes, and it’s a caution. I’m normally a Barton fan, but he blew that one.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I hear Twellman right? They want to bring VAR in starting with the next round of qualifiers? How does that make ANY sense?

17. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Twellman ranting about lack of VAR on that incident and saying with VAR that the US would be up a man.

He must not have seen VAR in limited use during the Gold Cup.

That's never getting sent down.

18. TLR2

TLR2 Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I had just texted my brother how impressed I was with Barton, then, CONCACAF gonna CONCACAF…

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So bad. So so so bad.

I think Barton could have just played himself out of a WC.

SouthRef, rh89, socal lurker and 3 others repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is the only red in this game two weak yellows and not the hands to the face?

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The foul for the 2CT wasn’t even a foul. Particularly juxtaposed against all the times he told Musah to get up.

Dayton Ref, mfw13, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  22. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So no yellow on a scissor by Hererra and that gets 2CT. He’s had a really rough 25’.

mfw13, TLR2 and JasonMa repped this.
  23. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the clear orange card when Pulisic was scythed in the corner.

Just a bad, bad game from Barton.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    He was staring right at the claw in the face. I saw this game live and I couldn't believe it.

25. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I understand how he missed that—he was in the melee and couldn’t the only way the hand to the face gets seen is by AR or 4th.