CONCACAF Nations League Finals [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 3, 2021.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So going to be like +14 in the second half of this US-Honduras semifinal, right?

2. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Make that +17 minutes now, though I wonder what the current exchange rate is from time lost to actual amount of time added on.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was factoring in future events. But, yeah. This has all the feel of 5 minutes getting added when it needs to be double digits at minimum. The fact that there is no extra time makes Honduras’ intent obvious.

TxSooner repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now comes the philosophical question...

5. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    5 minutes, lol

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entirely predictable. It feels like that number that is “big” without a major injury but still wholly inadequate for what was going on.

That said, why reward the team that caused all the time to be lost? In a normal situation, I’d be okay if I thought this was arrived at via common sense. But my fear is that he was putting this number up no matter what.

USSF REF repped this.
  7. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I didn’t realize VAR was being used until I saw the monitor. In many respects that is a success. No undue lengthy check of that goal. Though I set the bar rather low for anything coming out of CONCACAF

8. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I watch so little CONCACAF but am watching Mexico - Costa Rica

WHY is the referee SPRINTING to the point of each foul? They’re just basic fouls? When something happens that perhaps warrants that type of response it will have no impact. Bizarre.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drew Fischer about to be busy.

Lopez not wanting to caution Lozano in the previous incident led to all this.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I guess the chant issues allow all that to be ignored. Fascinating stuff.

RefIADad repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF gonna CONCACAF I guess...

RefIADad repped this.
  12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Fischer and Penso in the VOR, so there's no way you can put anything on them for lack of experience. If anything, they probably opted to be judicious and just not send anything down as clearly wrong there. A VC red card or red cards with 30 seconds left when everyone was ready for penalties? Probably not the first intervention that CONCACAF wants here and those two would recognize that. If this was a "miss" (and I use that conditional because there weren't the greatest replays showing the actual contact points), it was probably deliberate to an extent. No one talks about this tomorrow other than a few referee nerds watching live. If it's 10 v 10, it becomes a thing.

All of it does speak to CBS needing some better production for soccer--that's something that has become clearer over these two matches.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was also including all the chaos around pausing the match at that point after it was hardly the first time the chant was heard tonight, then starting it only to blow it dead a few seconds later. Just seemed like a mess, which is very CONCACAF.

sitruc repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I am watching in Spanish and don't speak it, so that's probably part of the confusion as well

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, of course. My streaming video feels a bit behind, so the match hadn't restarted yet for me when I read that.

At least they did it... I guess? If it sets a precedent where they are willing to do it earlier in a match, then great. But if this experience is a one and done, that makes it a bigger problem long-term.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of those rare times I am thinking exactly what the announcers are... why does Lopez let Ochoa approach the penalty spot every time? Warn him once. Caution him the next time. This is visually easy.

sitruc, dadman, RefIADad and 1 other person repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the 4th Costa Rica PK the Mexican GK appeared to be standing over the spot trying to intimidate the Costa Rican player as he placed the ball. Is that allowed usually?

18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The three criteria of success in CONCACAF refereeing.

1) Look good in your kit
    2) Crush the fitness test
    3) Be friends with the players

Sprinting to the point of the foul satisfies 1) and 2). Notice that none of the criteria include "properly recognizing fouls" or "effectively dealing with misconduct". It's why skilled players in CONCACAF are hacked to bits.

Having watched plenty of soccer from different countries, the Germans and the Dutch need to give some seminars on how to effectively protect skilled players.

AremRed and fairplayforlife repped this.
  19. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not supposed to be...

But then again what gets allowed during PKs or KFTM in general is always fun discussion.

See the post about the Irish cup final where the ref ends up having to send off the keeper as a result of not having held up the kick to put the keeper on the goal line rather than behind it.

We are our own worst enemies by not cracking down on stuff like this.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    All of this discussion has reinforced my decision to ignore CONCACAF matches. The quality of the play and the officiating is not good, and just leaves me frustrated. Been this way for about 5-6 years now and shows no signs of improvement. There are other better ways to spend my sports viewing time.
    I also agree about the CBS coverage including the UCL and UL games. The studio shows are really abysmal, seemingly aimed at a frat house group gathering with lots of beer consumption. The one or two serious pundits are out of place among the clowns.

PH

fischietto and frankieboylampard repped this.
  21. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In the movie Victory, Sylvester Stallone’s character did the same thing, staring down an opponent face to face at the penalty spot, so this must be okay.

The referee in that match was bad, though for very different reasons.

cleansheetbsc, dadman, IASocFan and 4 others repped this.
  22. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone smarter than me post a screenshot of the VAR offside review that pulled back Mexico’s second goal? Looked really close on Paramount + stream. Like maybe the defender’a back leg kept the attacker onside...

beamish repped this.
  23. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drew Fischer might have saved Berhalter’s job. Damn.

frankieboylampard and JasonMa repped this.
  24. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    E3Pp_OCXIAM5jNa.jpg

Hopefully someone can find something better. Interesting this went to an OFR.

ColoradoRef repped this.
  25. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I’m not convinced the goal was clearly and obviously wrong. And I guess that means I would have let the goal stand had I been in Pitti’s shoes. And not have sent it down if I were in Fisher’s shoes.

TxSooner repped this.