CONCACAF must restructure Champions League slot allocation.

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Naui_Ocelotl, Oct 31, 2008.

1. PorMisAwakatls

PorMisAwakatls New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Teotihuacan
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Also based on the financial viability of the tournament & to keep sporting competitiveness up.

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So uh... based on "league level" and "results" and "finances" and "competitive balance"? That's some detailed math you got workin' there. You should work for Concacaf or somethin'...

Step 1: "I'll take into account all possible variables and concerns while maintaining no bias. I promise."

Step 2: MFM

Step 3: Result: Numbers that were probably written down before Step 1.

3. PorMisAwakatls

Nov 26, 2008
    Teotihuacan
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Let me guess you want more MLS teams even thought half of them will get knocked out in the group phase :rolleyes:

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I say that? Did I even mention what I want? I was talking about your post, captain strawman...

5. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the first one I've ever agreed with, though, I would give CFU 4 spots instead of award them by nation. There are some perfectly good clubs in Haiti, Suriname, and Jamaica.

6. PorMisAwakatls

Nov 26, 2008
    Teotihuacan
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Thats fine... I forgot about Haiti... they do know how to play Foot there... sure maybe there should be Carribbean mini tourney, a Central American mini tourney & a mini tourney between Canada & USA.

7. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really don't know too much about this region outside of Mexico, do you?

8. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I could agree with this allotment, not because I think that Mexico's attitude towards this tournament is any better than MLS', but because MLS can't afford to be arrogant about anything. So losing spots to Mexico might just wake the BOG up.

9. PorMisAwakatls

Nov 26, 2008
    Teotihuacan
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Let me refine my allotment a little bit.... if everybody expects & wants the quality of the Mexican league to improve the other leagues around, then I think you need to expose them to Mexican football in baby steps (because I really don't think Crew, Metapan or Real Espana is getting that much out of 5 goal drubbings)...

Within the Preliminary round I would like to add Mexican teams from the 1A division to participate as part of regional tournaments.

For example... the Northern Mexican teams in the 1A (Tijuana, Dorados, Saltillo etc.,) should play against MLS, USL & Canadian League teams for a spot in the group phase.

The East Coast Mexican teams (Veracruz, Merida, Chetumal etc.,) should play in Carribbean tournaments.

The Southern Mexican teams (Cruz Azul Oaxaca, Jaguares B, Puebla, Orizaba etc.,) should play in the Central American tournaments.

This would benefit everyone involved on multiple levels:

> The other leagues could benefit of competitive matches against Mexican teams that are at their similar level.

> The micro regional-ness of the teams involved helps foment rivalries, cooperation & player scouting. For example... if Merida plays against Caribbean teams on a regular basis the chances of players from T&T, Jamaica, Belize, Puerto Rico, Cuba to get a shot in the Mexican league jump dramatically.... which would create another profit / career opportunity for more kids there to want to play organized futbol.

> The micro regional-ness of the mini tourneys encourages a level of travel & cultural exchanges that haven't existed since the 19th century.

That is how the region's futbol could actually experience real, sustained development.

10. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't be much of a Champions League then.

11. PorMisAwakatls

Nov 26, 2008
    Teotihuacan
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Is it now with pathetic non Champion teams like DC United & Real Espana. What did Cruz Azul ever win? Or Pumas?

12. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you guys already have a Champions League that fits your criteria? It's called the Clausura and Aperatura...

13. PorMisAwakatls

Nov 26, 2008
    Teotihuacan
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

No... right now Mexico's lower division is completely left out... and they have no opportunities for International competition... and I think it would really benefit the other CONCACAF leagues to play against the Mexican teams in that division... plus if you structure the way I have it... you are also more likely to great regional rivalries and get team supporters to travel in greater numbers etc., Imagine a San Diego team developing a rivalry against the Xolos of Tijuana? Or even Galaxy coming down to play against the Xolos? Galaxy wouldn't be much of a draw against 1st division squads in Mexico... but they come to TJ... and the local fans would fill the stadium to the brim to get a chance to see Becks and to heckle Landy Galletas.

14. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes they do. If they win promotion to the top league they can then qualify for international play from the top league.

Also, DC United is the US Open Cup Champion (its like Englands FA Cup). And Real Espana I believe is in as the runner up of their league because a team won both Apertura and Clausura ( no less valid of a champiins league entrant than Liverpool is)

15. puronicoya

puronicoya New Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i live in canada and i believe canada does not deserve a spot at all. toronto fc, monteal, vancouver dont play in the csl. the csl teams should be participating but they suck. the league gets no coverage, im guessing no money either. so canada should be out.

16. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I like this idea.

Only thing is, it could turn into and all Mexican affair pitting the 1era division v the liga de ascenso.

17. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Well, they don't deserve the spot as it is now. TFC should qualify thru their league. Vancouver and Montreal will join them eventually, so it's no big deal

18. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So what do you suggest?

Or are you just going to troll this thread?

19. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    It looks like Wilhelm doesn't get along well with others