CONCACAF must restructure Champions League slot allocation.

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Naui_Ocelotl, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008
    With the CCL group stage coming to a close and only 1 MLS side still with a possibilty of advancing to the knockout phase, CONCACAF has to take at least 2 spots from MLS/USSF and distribute them to more deserving federations. That is if CONCACAF will give importance to the sporting aspect of it's premier club competition.

MLS sides have faltered miserably and have failed to live up to, or succeeded in living down to (depends on who you ask), the expectations of a league with 4 allocated slots. The point is they didn't deserve the slots they had in the first place and if CONCACAF has any dignity they should give away some MLS/USSF slots to more deserving countries.

What do you guys think? Discuss.

2. Edgar

Edgar Member

3. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    One year is not enough to decide whether or not the system is fair, how do we know that this is truly how the teams play against each other? Or just an anomaly?

And in regards to the coefficient thing, that is made up using only data from the Champions Cup. That is not enough data being sampling to make anywhere near an accurate representation of the data.

4. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    From what i've heard CONCACAF will keep the current allocation quotas for next season and then after Year 2 will review the results and adjust accordingly.

5. Deathdealer

Deathdealer New Member

May 16, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    MLS should only have 2 spots, Honduras and Costa Rica should have 3. Leagues been around more time. Their schedule is in line with this tournament, Both these leagues deserve way more respect. I just think Honduras and Costa Rica deserve 3 spots, their overall presence in the regions earns them this right.

6. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    MLS/USSF dont deserve more than 2 spots,2 out of the 4spots that they currently have must be given to central america.

7. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    But the USL sides (which basically play in a USA League) are kicking ass... so I think the solution is, instead of giving away USA spots to other countries, take away spots from MLS and give them to USL.

AKA: have the USL Champion qualify automatically (or highest American team in the USL). Rochester, Charleston, Portland, etc. are all on par with Puerto Rico and Montreal, so there is no reason they would not be able to compete as well as Puerto Rico and Montreal. These clubs are not crippled by salary caps and those stupid restrictions that MLS has, so they will have the depth necessary to compete in both their league and this tournament.

USA Spots in Champions League:
    -US Open Cup Champion
    -MLS Supporters Shield (regular season champion)
    -USL Champion (regular season)
    -MLS Cup Winner and USL Cup Winner to decide the last spot?

8. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How long the league has been around and whether or not the leagues schedule matches a apertura/clausura schedule shouldn't have anything to do with slot allocations. Only performance.

9. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if you conclude that the results of this one year mean USA must lose two slots, then you must also conclude that Costa Rica must lose a slot as well.

Costa Rica has done exactly the same as MLS has done this year. Buy ya'll don't let any facts get in the way of your little hate fest.

Of course -- the conclusion is rediculous. But if you believe in this thread than you are either dishonest or you support Costa Rica losing a slot.

I don't defend four slots for MLS. I wouldn't mind if they changed it. Basing that on one year results is crazy.

I would prefer each nation identify their champion and those teams them enter the CCL. But that ain't gonna happen. Commercial interests actually do matter.

10. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    USA deserve 2 spots
    Costa Rica deserves 2
    Honduras 2
    Mexico 6

11. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    NOP,concacaf must take away 2 spots,USA must have only 2 spots, and i dont approve second division teams in a competition that is supose to be for first division teams only, but montreal and PRI have shown they are very good teams(thats a fact that even i have to admit).

but if you want more usl teams then this should be USA spots

-MLS champion
    -best USL american team

it doesnt matter how u want to see it, USA dont deserve to have 4 spots.

12. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    you are right,more or less, but if we check the past ten years MLS in concacaf has won only 2 titles,costarica has won only 2 titles too, BUT, costa rican league teams has been in four title games while USA teams have only been in 2 the ones they won (back in 1998 and 2000), and costa rica even had an all costarican final game (in 2004). so costa rica does deserve more spots than MLS if we see the performance of both leagues in the last ten years.

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    This is a rediculous thread made by a Mexican fan who assumes their clubs should get 10 spots or more instead of everyone else. This is the very first time that the expansion of the Champions Cup became a Champions League & already there are protests of reducing the USA slots.

Give me a break. This is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. So then I say in UEFA England should only have one spot for their champions league and all Mexican clubs should be eliminated from qualifying for the Libertadores and the SudAmericana in South America. No Mexican clubs for either competition and that 3rd place spot for a MLS Side and or Central American side should also be removed as well.

Prestige? You are all forgetting that the prestige is in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not how many times a club in a certain country has won the Champions Cup. That has no bearing what so ever in the eyes of Warner. At the same time it's not the same thing in UEFA, Asia, South America or Africa. It's all about the money.

The North zone of CONCACAF has the two strongest countries in the confederation right now in Mexico & the USA. If Mexico gets four, we get four. But once again these teams didn't qualify for these spots, they were given because of their 2007 finishes.

Just because Mexico all the way down to the end of Central America has two seasons (Opening & Closing), doesn't mean you guys are better either. Another load of crock that's been typed on these boards.

14. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Well if we're going to base it on merits, Mexico deserves 8 spots at least but it would be unfair to have more than 1 team from a single country per group. Besides we have to give the rest of CONCACAF a chance, they have their hands full as it is with 4 Mexican clubs. :)

15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should let us send all 8 playoff teams... that way we'll maybe get two in the quarterfinals. :eek:

16. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    we all protested before the CCL started, MLS sending 4 teams doesnt make sense to any non MLS fan

mexico has 3 teams in the second round and one waiting for results, USA has ½ team in, assuming that Dynamo is gonna win their next game, which i kinda doubt
    dont you see what we see?
    arent the revs on the MLS semis? same revs that got eliminated by JP

17. El Daly

El Daly Member

May 28, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    There is too much injustice in this league but, what could we do? Why the PR, T&T and Jamaica have to suffer to eliminatory? CFU and a do or die with some big teams.

I know that the other caribbean countries don’t have the quality but, how they’ll grow if they don’t have the opportunity to play with the big teams?

I thought that one good solution is to have 6 groups instead of 4. Meanwhile the first two teams of the CFU go direct and 3 and 4 thru a repechage.

18. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs sent their B- team for this competition, I am still angry about that fact. The Revs are Playing the Fire in the quaterfinals, which they are underdogs.

19. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    wtf this goes against the point of this thread your only opening up more slots for mls teams ( every other country in the concacaf DO HAVE SUPERCPS! why dnt they accept them also????..... i feel the we should give 3 to honduras and 3 to Costa Rica. Also why is USl in this competition yes they been doing very good but there SECOND AMERICAN DIVIsion league???.....

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    It's not the question of seeing what you see. I understand what your saying, but honestly that's not the question at hand. You can't just say out of the blue the USA only deserves one or two spots less, because of performence. If that was really the case, then in UEFA only the top spot goes on to the Champions League and everyone else will have to qualify or not go.

In my opinion and you will agree with me on this, the Superliga tournament that has been set up between MLS & FMF needs to be abolished a.s.a.p.. Fixture congestion for the clubs from MLS who are involved in both tournaments made Chivas-USA & the Revs look like crap. If CONCACAF would've acted quickly on this expansion, then this stupid tournament wouldn't have been created. The Champions League of CONCACAF would've been born last year and none of you would be starting this thread.

MLS is their own worst enemy when it comes to the fixture congestion and not respecting the International Calendar, they are going to understand that once the World Cup is playing in June, the FMF won't be coming over during that time, because everyone wants to watch their National Team and the tournament play & the Mexican First Division will stop playing as well.

I don't like the superliga at all. Even the Mexican media have said that it's a joke and honestly I think so as well. A tournament to only play for a financial pay day with no qualification to another Tournament is stupid. Instead of looking at the performence part of it which is easy to do, try analyzing why it happened in the USA. You guys are smart, I know you can do some investigative reporting. Go ahead and find out the real reason. It's not that hard to do.

21. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Technically their theres as Cup champions of their respective nations.

22. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    what??

doesnt canada have toronto fc ? and islanders comes from a state not a country....

23. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Well TFC lost the Cup, Montreal won it, and PR is a colony and have their own soccer federation, the PR league champ and Cup Champ get to go to the CFU where they have to get in the top three spot to make it to the preliminary round of the CCL. Its not like we where just gifted a CCL spot we had to fight for it.

See the USL is not only a USSF league is also a CFA and a FPF and the Bermudan Fed league since they all have team in the league. SO in these countries technically they are among the highest level of football.

24. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    if you really want to make a big evaluation, lets see here:

mls sides dumped out of the cup, why?
    1. mls playoff races, coaches said screw this, we need to win our league
    2. scheduling, mls needed to make their schedule, but concacaf didn't make theirs til very late in the organization of the tourney, thus a lot of s**t went down for mls teams who had to miss practice and rest days for travel days

what could they do to deter this? concacaf wants mls sides to succeed cuz that means money, as in american dollars, that are still somehow worth more than other places in the region, they're likely going to change the schedule next year, mls will likely have non-participating teams enter superliga, and ease the scheduling in later months for teams in the CCL

as for the USL sides, good job on their parts to get to where they are, but b/c the USL encompasses multiple federations, they cannot send a representative, i.e., their winner, to the CCL, so PRI, bermuda had to play in the CFU, and CSA made their own tournament, in all likelihood, it might be the start of canada finally fielding a profitable league, and that means more $$ for concacaf

25. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    sure, i agree on the Superliga thing... it makes no sense