CONCACAF CUP Article

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JayRockers!, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I hope you're right. I remember central american fans complaining about always having to host the first leg...

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Soccerplex would be fine because that kind of "intimate" sating for a game like this would be better than a small crowd at RFK, IMHO. We certainly had fun getting on the Pittsburgh players a few years ago in the Open Cup. Much easier to do from that close.

b. Just to be anal, this wasn't a SC TV station reporting this. It's a press release from the Wizards which was posted by The Sports Network, which provides online news for a number of TV stations and newspapers. This TV station is obviously a client.

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The slot will go to the playoff winner, unless it's UNAM Pumas, then I'm not sure what happens.

4. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remembered that the only negative about the Soccerplex were the long lines at the concession stands -- as I recall there weren't enough stands. And, I don't remember if beer can be sold there or not -- the 2003 U.S. Open Cup games I went to at the Soccerplex were about the first sporting events that I took my current girlfriend to and I was being on my best behavior as far as consuming vast quantities of suds goes.

Yeah, you guys really did a number on the Riverhounds (not a bad nickname, by the way) players.

5. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Yeah, didn't realize they had started already. Veracruz, Pachuca and Toluca are all in a hole already. So I guess maybe Atlas is the favorite at the moment. Maybe Guadalajara can come back and win the Apertura and DC or KC can play the Chivas Little Boys and the Chivas Big Boys in the same season.

6. snbdrenzo

snbdrenzo Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I wouldn't go so far as calling the tournament prestigious. It would be much better if MLS did what the FMF does by getting their top teams into the Copa Libertadores - not only is it a prestigious tournament, but if MLS teams did well in it they could trully claim to be among the top teams in the world.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    At this point in time the CCC is as prestigious a tournament as DC United will play in. If they win it and move on to the qualifiers for the World Club Championships then they will truly open some eyes. I hope they don't have to do that at the Soccerplex.

Copa Libertadores is a pipe dream for any MLS club at this time.

8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    It will be really great to see DCU in the CONCACAF Cup games

Unfortunately, MLS wanks will have already dismantled the best team in MLS last year in the name of parity - And DCU will fare about the same as every other entry - (except for that one glorious year when DCU beat a Mexican team in the final in RFK)

With Stewart (plus Ezra) definitely gone and Nelsen most likely gone, DCU will be significantly different than last year - And DCU players will be salary raises from MLS and then we'll be trouble with the salary cap - And we'll have to sell off more of our best players - This happens to EVERY MLS champion - Not just DCU

DCU in Liberators Cup? - Lets just be respectable in COCACAF first, and then worry about Liberators Cup

Sorry - I'm a HHUUUUGGEEEE DCU fan - But I'm being realistic here

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    That's not very realistic at all.

DC should have little to no salary issues next season, at least going into the forgein player acquisition stage.

If United is capped out after signing a few good internationals, then so be it.

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can worry about salary issues when we find out what the salary cap is.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  12. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV